Gender of my chameleon

Lornake

Three months ago I bought a Senegal Chameleon.I decided to call it Gaugain.
I chose this species because it is the one that will probably live better in new mexico, because it is african,
so it can adapt to very hot temperatures.:cool:
But I have some questions, that are very stupid,, but I would like to know the answers :
How do I tell the gender of my senegal chameleon ?
Is there an easy way to understand if it is sick, or if it has problems ?
Is there a way to find out the age of my chameleon ?

P.S. forgive any grammar error please.
P.P.S. Thank you already for answering

Three months ago I bought a Senegal Chameleon.I decided to call it Gaugain.
I chose this species because it is the one that will probably live better in new mexico, because it is african,
so it can adapt to very hot temperatures.:cool:
But I have some questions, that are very stupid,, but I would like to know the answers :
How do I tell the gender of my senegal chameleon ?
Is there an easy way to understand if it is sick, or if it has problems ?
Is there a way to find out the age of my chameleon ?

P.S. forgive any grammar error please.
P.P.S. Thank you already for answering

Welcome to the forums!

No chameleon will do well in extremely hot temps, but we don't really know what temps you are exposing it to. Even Senegals won't want to be exposed to basking temps over about 90 F. They can get burned if their basking light is too hot or too close to them. All chameleons will need a drop in temp at night of about 10 degrees. Don't use ANY lights at night because chams see full color and the light will keep it awake. What temps are you providing now? NM will have dry heat, but chams will need a fair amount of humidity to do well.

Most male chameleons have a bulge underneath their tail at the vent. Females' tail base is smoother and slimmer. I don't know if you can really tell the chameleon's age once it's full grown.

First, to check your husbandry, I'd suggest reading the sticky messages at the top of the General Discussion forum to see if your housing and other care is OK. Then if you have some specific questions we will be glad to help.

I am not exposing my chameleon to extremely hot temps, I read the requirements for the sengal cham and for now the temperature is just fine.
When it will get colder, I will use a desert heating light. I know I don't have to put it too close to the chameleon or it will overheat it. The temperature is now at 75-80. I am using an home-made humidifier (hope that's how you spell it), so there is about 65% humidity.
P.S. Thanks for your welcome.

Generally if a chameleon is sick it will sleep during the day with its eyes closed - this is a huge indication that not all is well. Also, not eating, not drinking, sitting at the bottom of the enclosure and standing at an odd angle on a vine or plant can indicate weakness, however this is not to be confused with your chameleon flattening itself and leaning to the side to get heat from its basking bulb. They do this often to absorb as much heat as possible. I had a baby panther that became ill and she had no strength at all. I woke up one morning to find her hanging upside down on a vine by her back legs, much like a bat. Again, this is not good and an indication you should get him to the vet asap. If you can post a picture of Gaugain, then maybe a more experienced keeper can help you age and sex your guy.

PS: welcome to the forum, and remember - no question is ever stupid...its only stupid if you keep asking the same one over and over! :D

Back
Top Bottom