Gargoyle gecko eggs

Hashtag ChamLife

Avid Member
So, I've had a gargoyle for around a year. Bought her (obviously a female now) as a baby. While cleaning out her cage I found 4 eggs, and 1 egg shell. Having gone through a few clutches of chameleon eggs now, I can say these eggs totally look viable. I've read that gargoyles are capable or parenthesis (spelling - self reproduction). Anyone have experience with this?

Should I be getting some of my extra bug enclosures ready for gargoyle babies or will these eggs eventually implode?

TIA

20210321_161030.jpg

I keep mourning geckos, a confirmed (and solely) parthenogenic species. Unfortunately, if you didn't find a baby, it probably became a snack... I remove eggs if possible, or grab the babies as soon as the hatch if they're glued somewhere I can't. Good luck with the other eggs, though! Bonus baby gecko pics!

Attachments

• IMG_20210321_163121_3.jpg
    IMG_20210321_163121_3.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20210319_163523_4.jpg
    IMG_20210319_163523_4.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20210319_073731_0.jpg
    IMG_20210319_073731_0.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 133
I was wondering if the empty egg's baby had become a snack.
:(

You said..." I keep mourning geckos, a confirmed (and solely) parthenogenic species"....what do you mean solely?

You said..." I keep mourning geckos, a confirmed (and solely) parthenogenic species"....what do you mean solely?
Mourning geckos' only mode of reproduction is parthenogenesis; there's no known instance of males. I call them my clone army 😁

Edit: I stand corrected; apparently some males do exist

This is interesting...and something I wondered about since I knew there were males of the species seen...
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0944200608000287
Wow, I had no idea! I wonder if they're fertile? I know in a lot of phasmids, 'sort of' male specimens are occasionally born, but they're usually infertile and short-lived

Edit: I need to read more before replying
From the article: "Because of the high amount of deformed spermatozoa and possibly uncontrolled loss of genetic material in structurally normal, but aneuploid spermatozoa we conclude that these otherwise perfect males are infertile, thus constituting another example of gametic sterility."

Wow, I had no idea! I wonder if they're fertile? I know in a lot of phasmids, 'sort of' male specimens are occasionally born, but they're usually infertile and short-lived

Edit: I need to read more before replying
From the article: "Because of the high amount of deformed spermatozoa and possibly uncontrolled loss of genetic material in structurally normal, but aneuploid spermatozoa we conclude that these otherwise perfect males are infertile, thus constituting another example of gametic sterility."
I was just going to post that!

I had mourning geckos for years.

Back
Top Bottom