Gaping

zombiepixel

Ive been watching trogdor off and on all day via a webcam and I keep catching him opening his mouth and puffing up. There isn't anyone home to disturb him and he did a couple of times right after eating.

Is it common for Chams to open their mouths to thermoregulate?

I have the (zilla I believe) digital thermometer & hygrometer with remote probes. The thermometer is right beneath the basking spot.

room temp averaging to high 80s?
that's hot... so, yes.. he'll gape.. especially for cham that young..
any way to bring the temp down a bit?

I have to say something... You have a webcam that you observe your cham with when your away!?!? While your at work or something? That is pretty cool. You should make a place where we can all watch your little buddy if we get bored. lol.:D

~Joe

ustream and justin.tv are great sites for streaming feeds.

I think it would be pretty interesting to watch as well.

What region are you from zombie? If it is a warmer day outside, you should turn the basking lamp off.

If it was 87 when you got home, I'm sure it was hotter mid day. Press the memory button to see the hottest temp for the day...:eek:

Find away to bring the ambient room temp down some, and you may need to drop the basking lamp wattage to acheive the correct temps.

As for the web cam on you cham, I love the idea! I would love to see a live feed of the little rascal!:)

Just remember to turn it off when your wife or girlfriend comes over.....or..umm... mabey leave it on...:D:p

-Jay

Wow, memory was saved at 94 degrees!! I have since opened the AC vents so tomorrow the room temp should be a lot cooler. I'm in Northern California so it doesn't get too hot here but still quite warm.

LOL, the thing is the webcam it's a wifi enabled webcam so I don't need a computer on to watch the feed. They are usually used for home surveillance so I need to figure out how to broadcast a secure feed. Once I do I will post a link.

my veiled is also gaping. basking temp 91.5 deg.

Last couple of days it's been really hot here in San Francisco, and I noticed 5 month old Mr. Worf gaping (open mouth) but not puffing up. I took the temp at the basking spot and was surprised to find that it was nearly 92 degrees. I think that's too hot so I'm using a small bulb. But he can and does go to other spots in the enclosure to find a cooler spot.

Back
Top Bottom