Gaping

ogomogo

Hi everyone! I have seen my 7 months old male veiled chameleon gaping on his basking spot like 4 times in 2 days. Is he URI(im using screen cage)? Or is it too hot for him? Or anything else?

My temps are:
Basking:92-93
Ambient:80-81
I know its a little bit high but i dont know how to reduce my temps. Should i unplug the basking light? (Its summer and Its hot)

Thanks for any answer :)

My veiled was doing this for a while. Very well could be too hot, especially if you aren't getting good ventilation in the room. You could do several things from here; hang the light higher up from the cage, get a light that you can adjust the power to(I would recommend), or you could shut the light off entirely and keep a close watch on the temps... I have had my heat lamp off for about 3 days now due to excessive heat and less than desire able ventilation. Hope this helps!

I've had my panthers do this, maybe back the basking temp down about 4 or 5 degrees. also what is ur misting schedule, how much, how often? And what is the humidity?

It looks like your temps need to be lowered. Here is a link to the Veiled Caresheet which has temps to use for them.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Temperature:
Baby/juvenile (<9 months): ambient 72-80F (22-26C), basking 85F (29C)
Adult males: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 90-95F (32-35C)
Adult females: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 85F (29C)

These caresheets are one of the best resources around and it comes from years of experience from the chameleon owners on this forum.

Thanks for the aswers :) I saw him gaping today too(more than yesterday). But I dont know how to reduce my temps. Even I turn off the basking light it will be still hot for him. Before summer came everything was really good. Should I use a air conditioner? Also i cant hang my basking light higher , my light system is not like that :( But I took down his basking branch to a lower place.
And I mist him 4-5 times a day.

I don't know if a thermostat would help. I am not sure what type you would need. Maybe some one will be able to advise or maybe try using a lower watt bulb.

Back
Top Bottom