Gaping

ogomogo

Hi everyone! I have seen my 7 months old male veiled chameleon gaping on his basking spot like 4 times in 2 days. Is he URI(im using screen cage)? Or is it too hot for him? Or anything else?

My temps are:
Basking:92-93
Ambient:80-81
I know its a little bit high but i dont know how to reduce my temps. Should i unplug the basking light? (Its summer and Its hot)

Thanks for any answer :)

Kiwiflage

My veiled was doing this for a while. Very well could be too hot, especially if you aren't getting good ventilation in the room. You could do several things from here; hang the light higher up from the cage, get a light that you can adjust the power to(I would recommend), or you could shut the light off entirely and keep a close watch on the temps... I have had my heat lamp off for about 3 days now due to excessive heat and less than desire able ventilation. Hope this helps!

deerharvester

Established Member
I've had my panthers do this, maybe back the basking temp down about 4 or 5 degrees. also what is ur misting schedule, how much, how often? And what is the humidity?

Video Master

It looks like your temps need to be lowered. Here is a link to the Veiled Caresheet which has temps to use for them.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Temperature:
Baby/juvenile (<9 months): ambient 72-80F (22-26C), basking 85F (29C)
Adult males: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 90-95F (32-35C)
Adult females: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 85F (29C)

These caresheets are one of the best resources around and it comes from years of experience from the chameleon owners on this forum.

ogomogo

Thanks for the aswers :) I saw him gaping today too(more than yesterday). But I dont know how to reduce my temps. Even I turn off the basking light it will be still hot for him. Before summer came everything was really good. Should I use a air conditioner? Also i cant hang my basking light higher , my light system is not like that :( But I took down his basking branch to a lower place.
And I mist him 4-5 times a day.

Haze1981

I don't know if a thermostat would help. I am not sure what type you would need. Maybe some one will be able to advise or maybe try using a lower watt bulb.

Top Bottom