Fussy chameleon!! doesn't like feeder cup...as well as 90%of his food!

TnEvs

I have a seriously fussy eater...

To start with he wasn't too bad. He started on crickets, he got bored so we went to locusts, he was OBSESSED with locusts and would eat about 12 small in a sitting!!!!
We we're amazed by that! He was about 4 months at that point and he had a HUGE growth spirt then.
Now he's around six maybe seven and he's been bored of locusts for some time now and rarely eats them...
We tried silkworms which he wasn't interested in...
Then we tried meal worms which he ate a few but still not that fussed. (At this point and currently his appetite is pretty low in comparison and has been for some months...he's just not that bothered.)
We re tried crickets which he ate a few of then got bored again... We keep trying to feed him with locusts most of the time but I rarely actually see him eat these.
We have taken him to the vet within this time and vet can't find anything really wrong with him. His sheading has slowed right down now too. He used to shed regularly but since he's got bored of eating loads like before he sheds rarely now and grows much slower. It's Maybe around six weeks between sheds maybe longer...
We then tried wax worms to entice him to eat which obviously being the unhealthy option he loved these!! But I've restricted them.
We tried silkworms again which he has now decided he will give a bit of a go but after 2 medium silk worms he loses interest for the day.
We tried calci worms which he thought were ok but they fall from the vines easy which leads me to my next problem...
I decided to put them in the small pot they came in and place it in between branches on his tree to keep the calci worms in to feed him....

But now he's decided he doesn't like to eat from this pot and will only eat the wax worms from it!!!:mad:
It's driving me crazy how fussy he is....
Any suggestions??
I now have to dust his worms with his vits as he rarely eats the locusts and sometimes I have to dust a wax worm to coax him to take his vits....

What is going on with this chameleon...
He's been to the vet...
The only thing I can think is after a visit with the vet I thought what has changed....and then I thought...well its winter so I can't take him outside for uv light. ...Maybe his bulb isn't enough...
So I arranged some of his vines much closer to his uv bulb and within a week or so he did she'd. .. but those veins haven't moved since....and he seems to be doing this no shedding not a major appetite thing all over again!!!!
Anyone else had these issues?
He's a male panther chameleon.
I think the uv bulb I got is one that lasts for a year not 6 months so it should still be fine..

Also is it normal for him to want to come our ALL THE TIME! !!!
He's constantly scratching at his cage to come out unless he's in bed....It waiting at the front of the cage to be let out...
We let him out a lot but it's never enough for him!!!!

Maybe he really just wants to be wild...

We are in the process of making him a new huge cage.

Hello, first off you should tell us some information about your chameleon as a lot of what you've said doesn't make sense unless we know the general age, and health of your cham. Fill this out : https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

And then we can help more.

But I can tell you this, if you are feeding only one feeder constantly and every day then they will get bored. Chams are extremely smart in my opinion and most know what they want and won't eat unless they get what they want or are really really hungry.

It sounds as if there is something wrong or something he doesn't like inside the enclosure, if he wants out all of the time.

Could you post some pictures of the cage?

Back
Top Bottom