Furcifer Verrucosus

chams1

Just thought I would share some pics of my latest (cham) breeding project: Furcifer Verrucosus (giant spiny chameleon). I already had a female that I got as a baby and now she is getting close to breeding age and figured I needed a stud to go along with her. I picked this boy up at a recent show a couple weeks ago. He still has some growing and some beefing up to do, but he's coming along nicely. Enjoy!

View attachment 20363

View attachment 20364

Last edited:
Nice Julie!
I love this species.
I just sent you an e-mail re: what we're working on.
Talk to you soon!

-Brad

So Cool. I think they are a neat cham, although I havent personally worked with them.

Ive never seen them at any shows until last month's show in GR. I was utterly surprised to see them.

Good Luck with your new Project!

is no one going to state that this cham looks dehydrated (eyes sunk and skiiiiinnny legs) dont hound me for it . Im just brining it to atention . im sure you alredy know. its beautiful though.

Hes beautiful i love this species, I hope breeding goes good i would love to purchase a male hatchling put me on a future list ;)

is no one going to state that this cham looks dehydrated (eyes sunk and skiiiiinnny legs) dont hound me for it . Im just brining it to atention . im sure you alredy know. its beautiful though.

They all generally look that way when they are upset. And these guys tend to upset very easily. Me taking him out to get pics and a weight were of no help. He is a recent import and is still a sub-adult (and yes, I believe I mentioned that he needed some work) and I do know how to properly hydrate and acclimate imports.

I think someone mentioned it.
He looks fine to me, for the age he is.
Julie will get him in tip top shape!

-Brad

Thanks, Brad. :D

Hes beautiful i love this species, I hope breeding goes good i would love to purchase a male hatchling put me on a future list ;)

Yes, this species is very nice, isn't it? I have been interested in them for a while now. I am a sucker for the bigger species.

I would be happy to add anyone to a list when the time comes, however I believe that a certain forum member(s) already has some babies that are coming along just nicely......

[cough] tiki [cough] tiki...... :D

Nice Furcifer verrucosus. I worked with them for about three years and the one thing that used to freak me out with concern was when you handle them or clean their cages their eyes would go to a sunken look even when well hydrated ( a desert species that was on a mister system that would go of every hour). Which is actually why I've stayed away from them since. If you can handle their shyness and don't mind sunken eyes once in a while their a neat species. I would recommend to go big when choosing cages for this species, may prevent the sunken look possibly due to shyness and lack of tolerance of people. If your fond of this species and if you have got the opportunity to work with the subspecies Furcifer verrucoses semicristatus go for it they are a gorgeous chameleon.

Can anyone differentiate between husbandry for a panther and this type of chameleon? Basking/ambient temps, feeding schedule, enclosure dimensions, supplementation ... I want to do more research on this species. Also, any links would be fantastic if anyone has. PM me if you would like to talk as well!

Can anyone differentiate between husbandry for a panther and this type of chameleon? Basking/ambient temps, feeding schedule, enclosure dimensions, supplementation ... I want to do more research on this species. Also, any links would be fantastic if anyone has. PM me if you would like to talk as well!

Chad and Darci would know way more than I as they have been working with them for a while now, but...... I don't differ my care for them much from that of a panther, except way more room to roam because they are a lot bigger and longer at full growth (similar to f. oustaleti). They are a desert species, but that doesn't mean that they necessarily do well with higher temps and less water. Feeding schedule and everything else is the same for mine. They are a very shy species and can anger easily so, once again, more room to hide from you. :)

Here's the description from AdCham:
http://adcham.com/html/taxonomy/species/fverrucosus.html

Back
Top Bottom