Furcifer verrucosus winter drop

morpheon

Following the informations posted by RobertC on this thread: https://www.chameleonforums.com/verrucosus-45740/index8.html#post477255 , i am currently extensively reviewing my plan for this winter.

Currently, i am keeping the ambiant temperature of my verrucosus around 26-27 degrees, while their hot spot reaches 30-31, and i don't plan on lowering it again. This is lower than the average temperature in summer by 3 to 5 degrees.

Meanwhile, i checked in the Necas' Nature's Hidden Jewel 2nd edition (2004), and the Adcham web article (Amirian, 2004), and both clearly state that it is not necessary to have a significative drop in temperature for winter, especially when they mention that females can lay up to two clutch per year if there is a stable temperature during all year.

The bottom line is, even if I have two solid articles to rely on, i'd like to hear from other people who also have/had verrucosus before, especially during winter. What did you do? Did it work? What do you think i should do?

Any info/opinion would be appreciated! :)

It can be easily found on the internet that in southern Madagascar (try for example Toliara) the average day temperature in summer is 31 degrees Celsius, night is 23. In winter it is 25/15. So there is actually a considerable jump.

It is a custom among experienced keepers and breeders to follow these temperature changes for both animals and eggs. Read posts on this forum concerning deremensis, parsons, etc.

Necas is an expert concerning veileds, but some information in his books concerning other species was just collected (he is a Czech, I personally know some coauthors of his). For example, in his book I have, there is written that there is nothing known about incubation of parsonii eggs, but the fact that constant temperatures lead to failure (at this forum there are several people who know much more about the problem).

It may not be necessary to provide a temperature drop with this species to keep and breed them successfully, but I think its always best to try and replicate the natural conditions as much as possible within a safe range. I would provide them with slightly cooler temperatures during the winter, although you probably don't need to provide as cool of a temperature drop as many other species like.

Chris

Thank you Chris! Could you please define more "a slightly cooler temperature"? Would you lower it by 2 or 3 degrees, or more 4 to 6 degrees? (remember i'm in celcius!) ;)

Back
Top Bottom