Furcifer oustaleti

murray0827

I was going to pick one of these up. Just wondering if anyone has an experience with them and what your thoughts on them are?

These guys are big and beautiful:) I know julirs has some so she may chime in. You can go to adcham.com also they have some good info on them.

I LOVE my Oustalets! I keep them the same way as my Panthers and Veileds. They will need a LARGE cage, at least 24X24X48 as they are very large as adults, but in my experience do not grow very fast. If you are getting a WC you must get a fecal and treat if necessary as WC's usually have a heavy parasite load.
Here is my male...I have had him since he was a 2 month old baby and he is Captive hatched...
As a baby...
DSCF1127.jpg

As a 1 year old...
DSCN0618.jpg

DSCN0268.jpg

Here is my female...She is WC and I have had her since 01/08/2008-she was fecal positive for roundworms and just finished her treatment. She was juvenile colors when I got her and is now adult colors-near a year old...
DSCN0323.jpg

DSCN0425.jpg

Last edited:
You obviously haven't seen the giant variety then...they are way bigger than a veiled and much heftier. I have had two of them over the years and they are unbelievable!

According to what I've read, normally they can reach 24 inches in length but some males are even longer. Some have been reported to reach 80cm.

WOW they are gorgous animals. Do you think they would get either wc or cb in ontario canada. I will have to ask and see if they know if it is or not. What are the chances of getting a cb one in Ontario.

Melleri are big - but these things can be huge. I've seen some monsters, years ago. no comparison except parsonii, of course. There are different locales/regions/populations, and size varies greatly amongst them. The females get a pretty reddish hue when gravid... I remember seeing a LTC pair, and the female was so cute. The male, huge and ugly.

Long termers are usually long term in captivity WC chams.

My Veiled is huge! And even though Oscar Oustalet probably has him beat in length, he is not as bulky as Leon the Veiled. Oscar at 13 months is still growing-shedding at the very moment.

I'm betting that any you would find in Canada right now would be WC's...and I doubt that they have been here for very long.

Oustalet's are a great species to work with. In my experience the ones I have had ate much more proportionally than other species I've kept. Combine the large size with the big appetite and they get kind of expensive. Be prepared :) Also, in my experience, wild caughts have always adapted rather easily to captivity but do arrive with parasitic worms that need to be dealt with.

The giant form of Oustalet's comes from west Madagascar, such as around Morondava, for those looking at a map. It really is built like a tank and I've seen imports back in the day that must have been in the 27-28 inch range. I assume that since Oustalet's are found in areas with panthers, carpets, and wartys the collectors don't venture out to the west coast to export the giant forms any more. Anecdotally, I remember hearing the giant form was much more difficult to adapt to captivity.

Apparently these are long termers...anyone know what that means

Long term in captivity!

You have to ask the person who told you they are long termers. It's a loose term. To me it means one year or more in captivity. I've heard this term used to describe a animal in the states for as short as 3 months. This to me is a blink of the eye in chameleon time.
I don't have any experience with the Oustaleti. But I do have a distant cousin Verrucosus that I've kept for 3 years now. And he's a favorite of mine.

Last edited:
oustalets are a great species...i keep mine on a ficus plant during the day ..amd a screened cage during the night,,provide alot of branches and some foliage to make him feel secure...mime is about 11 inches long and loves to eat anoles...also mist the cage daily

I have a few nice little ones ;)

Both the F. oustaleti and F. verrucosus are very nice species. The F. verrucosus in particular are under rated, in my opinion.

Chris

I agree 100% about the verru's , I have a young pair and they are awesome. The adults are just beautiful.

I love the one you have Steve, My male has lots of blue and green and is developing a brick red coloration to his head.

Back
Top Bottom