Furcifer labordi

Yessabub

Established Member
Ive always been fascinated by this species is it possible to buy one or are they endangered? If you can buy one WHERE!!

Ive always been fascinated by this species is it possible to buy one or are they endangered? If you can buy one WHERE!!

I dont know if you can buy them but they are just about the worst choice of a chameleon to buy because they only live 4-5 months.

I am almost positive I have seen them for sale online but they are a poor choice of chameleon. They are hard too care for and dont live long at all. Since they are hard to find I would guess they are expensive too.

LaBord's chameleons have been suspended from legal international trade since 1995. The only way to get one now (outside Madagascar) is to live someplace where smuggled animals come through frequently.

LaBord's chameleons have been suspended from legal international trade since 1995. The only way to get one now (outside Madagascar) is to live someplace where smuggled animals come through frequently.

They aren't getting smuggled! They are on holiday, DUH ;)

I think one misconception is that CITES is some international law. As a country you can volunteer to become a "party" of CITES, at that point you are legally bound. There are four major criteria for becoming a party of cites which include "designation of Management and Scientific Authorities; laws prohibiting the trade in violation of CITES; penalties for such trade; laws providing for the confiscation of specimens.[1]" According to wikipedia in 2002 50 percent of the parties lacked one or more of the criteria to be a party of CITES.

What does this all mean? Pretty much CITES is a very loosely ran organization. It really comes down to the countries to decide how they will use the framework that CITES gives them. In the long run there are a lot of countries that have much bigger fish to fry (in their eyes) than conservation.

See ya,

Todd

Sources: [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CITES

Pretty much CITES is a very loosely ran organization. It really comes down to the countries to decide how they will use the framework that CITES gives them. In the long run there are a lot of countries that have much bigger fish to fry (in their eyes) than conservation.

See ya,

Todd

Sources: [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CITES

Which is exactly why I feel that we as hobbyists should not support that segment of the trade when those bigger fish turn a blind eye. Regardless of whether they have the resources or not, the countries in question are members and have agreed to the conditions of membership.

Furcifer labordi one of my favorites as well. Their colors are on of the most spectacular of all chameleons (especially the females). Prior to 1995 ban I heard they had been bred in captivity from an old colleague.

Back
Top Bottom