Fungus gnat problem? Wanted to share this

Did you put the sticky trap inside the enclosure? I have a seven month old panther chameleon and a bio active set up. The springtails and several varieties of isopods are thriving but so are the fungus gnats. The enclosure is in our bedroom so it’s super annoying. I have those sticky traps above my enclosure but not in. I was worried that might Chamaeleon would get stuck. They’re sort of working where they’re at but not enough any help is appreciated.
You could also try planting a Sundew. Cinnamon in the soil will kill the gnats, but IDK what effect it might have on the CuC or your cham. Archives and google haven't been much help.

Try getting a mantis ooth. When the babies hatch, they’ll take care of the fungus gnats plus give your cham some tasty little treats.
That’s an awesome idea! I used to have mantis’ as pets. They are really cool to watch. I wanted to put some in with the Chamaeleon but I was worried it would stress her out. Thanks again

That’s an awesome idea! I used to have mantis’ as pets. They are really cool to watch. I wanted to put some in with the Chamaeleon but I was worried it would stress her out. Thanks again
I tried sundews and Katchy’s, which greatly cut down on the gnat numbers. When I put a couple of ooths in for other pests though, they made quick work of the rest of the gnats.

Did you put the sticky trap inside the enclosure? I have a seven month old panther chameleon and a bio active set up. The springtails and several varieties of isopods are thriving but so are the fungus gnats. The enclosure is in our bedroom so it’s super annoying. I have those sticky traps above my enclosure but not in. I was worried that might Chamaeleon would get stuck. They’re sort of working where they’re at but not enough any help is appreciated.
Another thing you can try is buying this device, it sucks up tiny flys. I bought one and placed it by my computer and I have had the gnat problem since
FENUN Fly Traps, Gnat Trap, Moth Traps, Mosquito Catcher Indoor with 10 Sticky Glue Boards Mosquito Traps (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CDB8PD...abc_PR6Q9DGTA0Y2MZTHZA5A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

There is the sugar , apple cider vinegar , few drops of dish soap ,and water mixture. I’ve been at war for a long time
Did you ever try the drosera capensis(I can't remember)?

For all of you non believers, if I ever get my old phone to work... I can show you pictures of the biblical gnat plague I had that was solved within a week by those plants. Does seem to depend on the species of fly though, they're either immediately drawn to them, or ignore almost completely.

Did you ever try the drosera capensis(I can't remember)?

For all of you non believers, if I ever get my old phone to work... I can show you pictures of the biblical gnat plague I had that was solved within a week by those plants. Does seem to depend on the species of fly though, they're either immediately drawn to them, or ignore almost completely.
Yeah I killed it 🤣😂🤣😂🤣

I had a small ant colony move into one of my enclosures so I researched insects that eat ant larvae, the rove beatle looked very promising until I ran across a detailed article in regards to their toxicity causing burns on human skin. fairly nasty burns for such a tiny bug but they pack a wallap so I decided not to add them into my bio active terrerium with my cham.

Can you keep sundews inside the enclosure? I am planning a bioactive build and I just know that soil gnats will plague me with my luck...
I prefer Butterworts. Less sticky but catch every. single. gnat. Right in enclosure up high under lights; even Mellers does not destroy and they bloom continuously. (Of course a veiled could eat it). I'll take a pic tonight of some covered in bugs and send. If you are misting with distilled water it's plenty acidic. Any springtime that venture up there will also be eaten and help the plant.

The carnivorous plant garden store I've mentioned just opened for the season, so we took a day/road trip. I was woefully unprepared for the incredible variety they had to offer, and due to the pandemic, it's considerably less than previous years. Nonetheless, it was... overwhelming.

We came away with a Sundew (Drosera capensis red), and 2 Venus flytraps (Dionaea muscipula)—boring by their standards.

View attachment 300122

... but we've already both agreed we're going back after doing a little more homework. 😁
It may be the coolest garden store we've ever seen. 😎
Yeah it's not a capensis, it is a drosera binata. Pretty much just as hardy, though, more so in the full sun. But beware, it is one that self-seeds and if you let it bloom it will pop up in everything next spring.

Butterwort is also recommended for fungus gnats,

However, it can be a double-edged sword. IDK if this affects all carnivorous plant species, but something to be aware of and consider.
Pics as promised from last night. If you zoom in you can see gnats. However, not that many, as they have eaten all the rest!
cycl x emar poss.jpg

Attachments

• aphrodite.jpg
    aphrodite.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom