Fully grown panther cham

The dripper can be made from a washed milk jug with a few pin holes in the bottom. You don't have to spend $15 on a little dripper if you can't, something like that is more than fine.

Also, did you get your female a deeper laying bin? The one in the photo you sent me is still really shallow, but it may just be a photo of the old one.

Reactions: Kmw
I can't locate the brand that makes minor all. So only rep cal will hopefully do.

If your local store carries RepCal products, you can perhaps also get the rep cal that doesnt have D3 in it. Its got a green label, i think.

Alternatively, purchase calcium on line. Or even finely grind up tums or cuttle bone. Because Rep-Cal with D3 is NOT going to be fine if used daily for an extended period of time.

... I still don't know the recommend basking temp for my male ambilobe but know 83 is good for my females veiled/ambilobe..

this is what I posted in your other thread -others feel free to comment if you disagree with my take on temps....

Veiled/Chamaeleo:
day basking spot up to 96.5F/36C (Non breeding females and Juveniles hottest spot should be kept at a lower temp, closer to 80F)
day cooler spot / ambient range 70-80F/21 -26C
night to a low of 60F/15.5C (Juveniles only down to 68F)

Panther/Fucifer:
day basking spot 90F/32C (Non breeding females and Juvenile basking spot should be kept at a lower temp, closer to 80F)
day cooler spot / ambient range 70-80F /21 -26C
night to a low of 65F/18C
(juveniles only down to 68F)

The dripper can be made from a washed milk jug with a few pin holes in the bottom. You don't have to spend $15 on a little dripper if you can't, something like that is more than fine.

Also, did you get your female a deeper laying bin? The one in the photo you sent me is still really shallow, but it may just be a photo of the old one.

I don't think the mesh would support a milk jug or 2 liter of cola filled with water that's just me. Those cages are all I got if they break am screwed. I am still using that laying bin in the photo. Haven't gotten that far yet to change it to like a pot. Don't have a plant for roots and the supplys needed to make a better one. The sand isn't working well fills the tunnel with water. I think she's ready keeps hanging out at the bottom and something wrong with her leg keeps doing something weird with it. She has spots blue ones all over. I found a calcium I had don't know if it's expired by blue iguanas and they don't even have one yet with d3. I will check and see if it has phosp in it.

I don't think the mesh would support a milk jug or 2 liter of cola filled with water .

so use something lighter/smaller and refill more frequently.
or hang it from the ceiling
or support with something else

I know that you are trying. So please know that I dont mean to be offensive. But if money is an issue and you cant look after these animals properly, you might consider giving them away to someone who can afford to look after them correctly. Chameleons are not inexpensive to look after. And if you're having trouble providing the bare minimums, what will you do when you need something even more significant like a vet visit?

You said ur chameleon is from fl chams....so is mine he is 4 1/2 months old and his sire is hunter...u should post a pic of him on here

Attachments

• 2012-05-24_16-19-58_663.jpg
    2012-05-24_16-19-58_663.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 89
so use something lighter/smaller and refill more frequently.
or hang it from the ceiling
or support with something else

I know that you are trying. So please know that I dont mean to be offensive. But if money is an issue and you cant look after these animals properly, you might consider giving them away to someone who can afford to look after them correctly. Chameleons are not inexpensive to look after. And if you're having trouble providing the bare minimums, what will you do when you need something even more significant like a vet visit?

That should work then with the dripper lighting maybe in the way but I'll try things. I can afford them money is just not like it was this is the time of year for me. I tryed to get ahead with them and wish I came on here sooner when I had money. But it's just the up and downs lately. I got the calcium with no d3 and no phosp. So if I can get a few more bucks for a dripper and still figuring out the laying been for a reptibreeze 18" 18" 36" cage I think they will be great and temps as well. There my guys and wont let a challenge and money get in the way. I will do what has to be done. A vet well hopefully doesn't have to come to that if so am pretty much fuuked. There isn't one close to me just in Chicago.

for a dripper i use bottles of 500/1000 ml with bigger tops and perfusions !
i stick the perfusion thick niddle part in the bottle top and another niddle in the bottom part of the bottle ! i put the bottle upside down and my closet

its cheap, practical, does the job !
ill post pics i dont know if i explain the way i should so you can understand !
so here are the pics !

I don't think the mesh would support a milk jug or 2 liter of cola filled with water that's just me. Those cages are all I got if they break am screwed.

Set something else across the cage frame for the jug to rest on to help distribute the weight. You could use anything thin and rigid like a piece of scrap 1x1 lumber, thick dowels, pvc pipe, etc. Let the jug weight be borne by the cage frame, not the mesh. All you have to leave clear is the drip point on the bottom of the jug.

Set something else across the cage frame for the jug to rest on to help distribute the weight. You could use anything thin and rigid like a piece of scrap 1x1 lumber, thick dowels, pvc pipe, etc. Let the jug weight be borne by the cage frame, not the mesh. All you have to leave clear is the drip point on the bottom of the jug.

But for a dripper I just don't know what would be best for a reptibreeze zoomed cage because there are no openings for cords and hoses. Also would a dripper system work if planted right on top of the screen where the lamps are.
Thank you guys for your thoughts and how you done your drippers I'll keep it in mind. But I need to think and does a zoomed automatic mister mount inside the cage without harm to my chams?
For panthers what is mainly needed a misting or dripper and does a humidifier work also. Also I tryed the lowest wattage a 50 watt but temps are in lower 90's can I turn off the lamps to get it to go down to 85 and just keep UVB on so my chams can see and eat? Am trying to lower temps and then fix dehydration problem. My veiled is ok just the panthers need adjustments til the summer months are gone.

Seriously, this is as simple as it needs to be. You don't need anything fancy or heavy, just something that drips water so your chameleons have access to water. This is a gallon jug cut in half (my cage tops are very close to the ceilings) and the screen top can handle this about 2/3 full (it looses it's shape filled any more than that). If the weight still worries you, then you grab two dowels, wood bars, etc. lay them across the FRAME of the cage, and then rest the container over both bars, with the water dripping between them. Cannot go cheaper than this!

img8733m.jpg

img8738f.jpg

img8739w.jpg

The water goes right through the screen, you don't need to ruin it or anything. Something like this will drip for 15-20 minutes, so if you need to, you would just re-fill it 2-3 times a day and be good.

I mist my panthers, but many people use mainly drippers with great success. I would mist if possible though, it's good for their skin and their eyes to get showered at least once a day.

Have you provided your veiled with a bigger laying bin yet? Any ol' 5 gal bucket will do, at this point. This should be your priority #1, since if she can't lay she will go downhill health-wise fairly quickly.

Last edited:
But for a dripper I just don't know what would be best for a reptibreeze zoomed cage because there are no openings for cords and hoses. Also would a dripper system work if planted right on top of the screen where the lamps are.
Thank you guys for your thoughts and how you done your drippers I'll keep it in mind. But I need to think and does a zoomed automatic mister mount inside the cage without harm to my chams?
For panthers what is mainly needed a misting or dripper and does a humidifier work also. Also I tryed the lowest wattage a 50 watt but temps are in lower 90's can I turn off the lamps to get it to go down to 85 and just keep UVB on so my chams can see and eat? Am trying to lower temps and then fix dehydration problem. My veiled is ok just the panthers need adjustments til the summer months are gone.

You can easily make holes for cords, dripper lines, etc. by cutting a slit in the cage mesh right where you want to thread something through it. I usually hot glue plastic washers on each side of the mesh to reinforce the cut so it doesn't fray over time. Looks a bit nicer too.

Well I think this saturday I will buy a little dripper zoomed from petmountain and will have it next friday. Am just not a DIY human ok. I woke up today and my male was shedding. Why do they shed like once a month my guys do.

You have a nice setup everything looks real even the plants. No just the same old laying bin for my veiled don't have the supply's and don't know what to do there.

Well I think this saturday I will buy a little dripper zoomed from petmountain and will have it next friday. Am just not a DIY human ok. I woke up today and my male was shedding. Why do they shed like once a month my guys do.

You have a nice setup everything looks real even the plants. No just the same old laying bin for my veiled don't have the supply's and don't know what to do there.

Shedding cycles are related to growth and age. Younger chams are actively growing faster so they shed more often. Older chams don't really stop growing completely, but the rate slows way down. As their skin ages it loses elasticity and needs to be replaced.

Check the forum sticky posts for info on preparing a laying bin for your female.

Shedding cycles are related to growth and age. Younger chams are actively growing faster so they shed more often. Older chams don't really stop growing completely, but the rate slows way down. As their skin ages it loses elasticity and needs to be replaced.

Check the forum sticky posts for info on preparing a laying bin for your female.

Sounds good he's about finished tail and mouth area next to go. But his skin is wrinkly looking like old ppl skin. My veiled hasn't shed since the winter around the time I got her about it for her. My baby panther female shed a free weeks ago and she does it more then the others so what you say makes sense.
Idk about laying bin I was told a deep plastic pot would do then today a 5 gal bucket. But what's always left out is sand or top soil what works best. I spent 15 bucks on grow in the dark calcium type sand. I been checking her out a lot and nothing shows any eggs and she's just hateing me more feeling her back end. She got me earlier right in the tip of the fourth finger. She just is in a pissy mood

Sounds good he's about finished tail and mouth area next to go. But his skin is wrinkly looking like old ppl skin. My veiled hasn't shed since the winter around the time I got her about it for her. My baby panther female shed a free weeks ago and she does it more then the others so what you say makes sense.
Idk about laying bin I was told a deep plastic pot would do then today a 5 gal bucket. But what's always left out is sand or top soil what works best. I spent 15 bucks on grow in the dark calcium type sand. I been checking her out a lot and nothing shows any eggs and she's just hateing me more feeling her back end. She got me earlier right in the tip of the fourth finger. She just is in a pissy mood

All you needed was regular play sand from a hardware store? Easily $4 max. Don't keep the calcium sand, if she ingests it it will impact her because it hardens up like a rock. Calcium sand is crap.

All you needed was regular play sand from a hardware store? Easily $4 max. Don't keep the calcium sand, if she ingests it it will impact her because it hardens up like a rock. Calcium sand is crap.

Ok that was a wast of money then so it won't work with anything for Chams. So buy some play sand and full it up in what a bucket 12" deep and 8" around. Should the bucket have a drainage hole so water doesn't flood the tunnel. How do I get her to use the laying bed? Put her on top of it?

Yes, anything that meets those measurements is great - whether it's a 5gal bucket, a big plant pot, a plastic container, etc. etc... You really can't go wrong as long as it is a solid color and meets those measurements. It could be a kitchen trashcan, even, as long as you can put 12" of sand/soil in there.

I use round plastic plant pots with the hole in the middle to drain excess water. I know Home Depot sells this size for about $2-4. Walmart will sell them for very little as well. Plastic storage containers are usually for sale for $2-4 as well in this size. Then pick up a bag of play sand or organic top soil from any store for under $4 as well. For about $8 you can make a proper laying bin and save yourself problems if she cannot lay.

Yes, you can drill a few small holes to drain excess water, but remember to only mix enough water so that it is moist but not wet. It's best if you pour the sand first and add water slowly, mixing, so you don't add too much.

Then she will know what to do with it. If it's moist enough and she has privacy, when she's ready she will go down and use it.

Also, where abouts are you located? If you lived near another forum member perhaps they could help you out. I know that I have plastic containers galore, and would be more than happy to drop one off. Perhaps others are also willing to help out.

Yes, anything that meets those measurements is great - whether it's a 5gal bucket, a big plant pot, a plastic container, etc. etc... You really can't go wrong as long as it is a solid color and meets those measurements. It could be a kitchen trashcan, even, as long as you can put 12" of sand/soil in there.

I use round plastic plant pots with the hole in the middle to drain excess water. I know Home Depot sells this size for about $2-4. Walmart will sell them for very little as well. Plastic storage containers are usually for sale for $2-4 as well in this size. Then pick up a bag of play sand or organic top soil from any store for under $4 as well. For about $8 you can make a proper laying bin and save yourself problems if she cannot lay.

Yes, you can drill a few small holes to drain excess water, but remember to only mix enough water so that it is moist but not wet. It's best if you pour the sand first and add water slowly, mixing, so you don't add too much.

Then she will know what to do with it. If it's moist enough and she has privacy, when she's ready she will go down and use it.

Sounds great I just need ten bucks lol and a sheet to provide privacy. I am in will county Illinois area.

Back
Top Bottom