Fruit

You can offer a wide variety of fruits... But I doubt he'll be interested. I think Jackson's are far less likely to eat fruits/veggies than panthers and veileds.

I do offer my Jackson's small cubes of apple, strawberry, or fresh mustard greens occasionally. He's never even tried them, but maybe your little guy will be different.

One idea: My cham is crazy for blue bottle flies. If you want some entertainment, order some pupae, hatch some flies, and let the fun begin!

Anyone else with a Jax who eats fruit?

I dont actually have one yet just doing some research. From your experience other than crickets what do they enjoy eating?

Definitely check out the caresheets on this forum under chameleon resources for some great basic info on Jacksons. Do lots of searching and reading here, and you will be all ready by the time you get a chameleon! Don't be afraid to ask questions, especially about lighting and supplements - they can be confusing topics at first.

My experience has been that Jax can be picky eaters. Definitely try silkworms, hornworms, and bb flies. Some people also cultivate isopods or snails. Other people swear by dubia roaches as being cleaner and easier than crickets. It will depend on what you can order online and what you're comfortable with.

My little guy loves, loves, loves his crickets and the flies. He likes silkworms and superworms okay. The big issue is to make sure your bugs are fed healthy food (gutload) and that you offer a variety of bugs.

Jackson's are the coolest chameleons. You will love your new friend!

alright thank you for your input. I've read the care sheets a few times just wanted to get an idea of what they like. any suggestions on where to purchase one?

I adopted my little guy from CraigsList. You can check local reptile shows or local pet stores. I would generally be cautious with those suggestions - you run the risk of picking up a sick animal from either a disreputable breeder or from a place that doesn't take proper care of chameleons. It comes up on the forum all the time.

I would recommend ordering one from someone with a good reputation in the cham world. This forum has a number of sponsors that offer Jackson's. Shipping adds a little cost, but they usually have some sort of guarantee on the animal.

You can always check the Fauna Classifieds Board of Inquiry (Google it) to see if anyone has complimented or complained about who you are thinking about buying from. It's entertaining reading, too.

Before you even get your cham, make sure you have a local exotics vets that treats chameleons and some emergency money set aside. It's very rough to not have a vet in case of emergencies. By the time your little guy looks sick, he may actually be very ill and need treatment asap. Fecal checks can run about $20, visits for eye or mouth problems can be $50-$100, and serious issues can easily run $100+.

Don't let that scare you, tho. I'm madly in love with my cham - such a rewarding pet to have!

Back
Top Bottom