Fruit fly issue

RayenaeTargaryen

After about two days of my baby vielded not eating many of her crickets, I went up to the pet store (a different one from where I got her) and told them that she wasn't eating as I thought she should be, the woman suggested fruit flies instead. As well as separating her cage into smaller sections since she's so small.

I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. Anything to get her to eat. I bought the tube of fruit flies (they look more like fleas than flies). I put her in a separate place like suggested, and went to give her some of the fruit flies. I put (what I think) was a good amount in there, but a lot of them were escaping/crawling up the sides and escaping.

What can I do to prevent this/make feeding her easier? I don't think I want a fly infestation in my house...

Sorry if this was long winded, but I'm new to chameleon owning and I want to do everything possible to make strong and healthy.

After about two days of my baby vielded not eating many of her crickets, I went up to the pet store (a different one from where I got her) and told them that she wasn't eating as I thought she should be, the woman suggested fruit flies instead. As well as separating her cage into smaller sections since she's so small.

I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. Anything to get her to eat. I bought the tube of fruit flies (they look more like fleas than flies). I put her in a separate place like suggested, and went to give her some of the fruit flies. I put (what I think) was a good amount in there, but a lot of them were escaping/crawling up the sides and escaping.

What can I do to prevent this/make feeding her easier? I don't think I want a fly infestation in my house...

Sorry if this was long winded, but I'm new to chameleon owning and I want to do everything possible to make strong and healthy.
Put a Banana slice in. Flies will hang out on it.

Sorry to hear she's still not eating her crickets D8 I have no advice with the fruit flies as my panther boy has never showed interest in them. Maybe put up temporary saran wrap around three sides to have fewer escape? not sure though...

The best thing is to leave her alone to settle as much as possible. You do not need to move her to another cage to feed her. Just feed her in her own cage.

Ive had the same problem with my 11 week old Elliots, fruit flies were everywhere, banana works a treat but make sure its in view they are drawn to somethin thats in bananas, i put an egg cup of cider vinegar outside his viv to tempt the straglers to their doom

Thanks for the banana suggestion. I'll try that. I also heard people placing them in a plastic cup and coating it with the calcium powder so they can't climb out.

Back
Top Bottom