Fruit fly help

Anilr16

People. I bought a vial from Timberline co. and it was a waist of 6 bucks lol. Are flightless fruit flies available in the wild.? Or are were they bred to have this characteristic. I live here in Orlando FL. How can I catch these valuable guys for my babies. Pin heads are breaking my bank. haha!
HELPPPPPPPPPPP

fruitfly help

i have bought from several sources and the fattest flies (hydei, dont bother with melongaster) are from scales-etc.com , they are easy to grow but by the time you get it all going you wont need flies any more , just for future reference,you can make your own medium for cheap enough to make dozens of cultures for $10 (harvey peterson mix) , deli cups, and aspen fiber, are readily available online. mites might be your problem, mites are everywhere and difficult to spot if you dont know to look for them ,and they love to attack ff cultures , to keep them under control keep your cultures under control, keep them on a coaster in the middle of a sheet of fly paper or self adhesive shelf paper sticky side up , just tape or pin the coners down . you can get 1000 pinheads for $20 on ebay (chirp-n-time cricket farm ) but you wont need pinheads for long, my jackson's are only 13 days old, and they out grew pinheads a week ago

Most suppliers will send you a culture where you can start your own from,
they're usually not meant to be used right away.

From one culture you can literally make thousands of cultures into the future.

I would agree that melanogaster are too small for any chameleons, and hydei
is a much better choice.

You can Google fruit fly mixes, there's hundreds.

Turkestan Roaches also have ideal size babies for any small lizards.

Lol, slippery roaches :O thanks to all, who replied. Yeah I gotta start gettin a culture goin. But is it possible I can put a piece of banana in a cup with a couple flies in a deli cup and they'll start reproducin?? or do I need an actual mix?:confused:

Lol, slippery roaches :O thanks to all, who replied. Yeah I gotta start gettin a culture goin. But is it possible I can put a piece of banana in a cup with a couple flies in a deli cup and they'll start reproducin?? or do I need an actual mix?:confused:

Banana will mold up.....the cultures have a mold inhibitor in them.

Oh okay. Its only like 10 bucks to ship a fruit fly culture to me:D
But I have no money as yet. Im selling a baby to a very careful owner about next week so ill definitly have money for that culture on Ebay next week:)
til then ill have to stick with pinheads :p

Back
Top Bottom