Fruit and Veggies?

Bergie21

I have a veiled chameleon who's about 4 months old now and i've been reading a lot lately that these guys like eating fruits and veggies. This was a surprise to me since the "expert" at the pet store where i got my little guy said they hate that kind of thing. I was wondering what people thought about this and what types of fruits and veggies people recommend? Thanks!

unfortunately, its really common that people at the pet stores know little about the proper care of exotic animals like chameleons! this site is full of accurate knowledge on how to care for chameleons though, so glad you found us!!

lots of people feed their veileds fruits and veggies as treats!they should be getting their main nutriton from properly gutloaded feeders that are supplemented and fruits and veggies are just a plus :)

this thread has a list of differnet fruits and veggies veileds have been known to like and tips on how to offer them. https://www.chameleonforums.com/veiled-cham-veggies-106961/ each chameleon has their own likes and dislikes though so what one person's may like yours may not.

hope this helps :D

I have a veiled chameleon who's about 4 months old now and i've been reading a lot lately that these guys like eating fruits and veggies. This was a surprise to me since the "expert" at the pet store where i got my little guy said they hate that kind of thing. I was wondering what people thought about this and what types of fruits and veggies people recommend? Thanks!

"EXPERT AT THE PET STORE" I'm sure they are a rare species themselves.

Fruits n veggies

Thats not true, my 6 month old vieled loves fruits and veggies. Hes most fond of apples, zucchini, banana and especially kale.

Thanks for the info. How do you feed the fruits or veggies to the chameleon? In a dish somewhere in the cage?

you can pin the leaves of the greens to the side of the cage where he can get to them. and then you can hand offer some fruit or put a little in the feeder cup attached to the side of the cage where he can get to it. for harder fruits like fresh apples and pears make sure you cut it up small so they can chew on it and not choke. for carrots, shred them and attach them to the side of the cage :)

remember they are mainly for treats so dont over do it! :D

My veiled gets fresh greens on a daily basis and he loves it. I used to clip them to his branch and he knew exactly where to go to find them. Now I can also throw them in his feeder cup and he munches away. Good stuff you use for gutloading can also be used to give them directly. Dark leafy greens are best.

Back
Top Bottom