Frozen Smoothie?

CBee7726

Avid Member
Does anyone else blend their gut load ingredients into a smoothie & freeze into cubes?
If there were such a product on the market, would you buy it, or continue to just make your own?

I've heard of people using commercial products like repashy bug burger, but it seems like most people like to gut load with fresh ingredients.

I dont even add gelatin. I blend all my veggies and fruits (Normally 10-14 different things) , add in bug burger, bee pollen, etc (any other good food for the buggies) and blend it up and freeze it. I put it in a flat dish when thawing/feeding so it doesn't go everywhere and make a soggy mess in my bins.

(Of course now the debate is if gutload is necessary, and if so what is beneficial and useable, but I don't know enough on the subject to comment ? I just continue with the methods that are currently accepted ?)

I dont even add gelatin. I blend all my veggies and fruits (Normally 10-14 different things) , add in bug burger, bee pollen, etc (any other good food for the buggies) and blend it up and freeze it. I put it in a flat dish when thawing/feeding so it doesn't go everywhere and make a soggy mess in my bins.

(Of course now the debate is if gutload is necessary, and if so what is beneficial and useable, but I don't know enough on the subject to comment ? I just continue with the methods that are currently accepted ?)

This is what I did and it seemed to work well for me. I would also put it in a dish to keep it from making a huge mess in the rest of the tank: I agree it's messier but it would at least stay in the dish which I could individually wash.

I also wasn't sure if there was concern/debate over the distribution of vitamins in whole veggies/fruits vs. blending it.

I dont use gelatin, I guess I use the right mix of produce as mine stays pretty thick. A little moisture seeps out but I find it keeps its shape after thawing. Of course, i have substrate in my cage so I dont worry about or notice the run off - but I dont think its too much.

Freezing and blending will of course destroy some nutrients, but blanching can help save more of them. Having a large variety should help too. A lot of us do this, I always just spread it out on a paper towel which absorbed the excess moisture. For my bioactive bins and enclosures I just tossed a lump right on the soil

Does anyone else blend their gut load ingredients into a smoothie & freeze into cubes?
If there were such a product on the market, would you buy it, or continue to just make your own?

I've heard of people using commercial products like repashy bug burger, but it seems like most people like to gut load with fresh ingredients.
This is exactly how I’ve been doing it for several years now. Also, there’s nothing stopping you from adding something like Bug Burger to the mix before you freeze it. It can actually help keep the slop together if you end up with a watery mix.

Just today, I was thinking of adding ground flax seed to thicken up my smoothie when i freeze my gut loading cubes. Anyone else do that???

Thats fair! I remember reading that flax is great to gutload with. Ill go back and check.... and to answer your question, I havent done the smoothie cubes for my insects, yet. I sometimes make smoothie cubes for geckos, though. When my pet sitter or bf cares for my 4 cresties, I premake an icecube tray of pangea, berries, dried meal worms, and banana for them to give to my geckos every 3 days. Works great, and I know my gecks are getting what i would normally feed them. I imagine ill give it a try for gutloading the crickets.

RN im just gut loading with fresh escarole, kale, and carrots.

I just thought of making cubes and using ground flax seed meal (thickener that I use super often in baking), just a few days ago. Ill let ya know how gut loading smoothies go when I do try it!

Back
Top Bottom