Friendly Chameleons

First of all I also recommend watching Clint's reptiles. And also snake discovery and GoHerping.

As the others had already said, chameleons are not beginner friendly reptiles. Leopard geckos, African fat tailed geckos, crested geckos and all geckos are the easiest reptiles to keep, even easier than the bearded dragons. So I absolutely recommend geckos as a first reptile pet.

First of all I also recommend watching Clint's reptiles. And also snake discovery and GoHerping.

As the others had already said, chameleons are not beginner friendly reptiles. Leopard geckos, African fat tailed geckos, crested geckos and all geckos are the easiest reptiles to keep, even easier than the bearded dragons. So I absolutely recommend geckos as a first reptile pet.

Especially go herping, good channel for kids who like reptiles.

Especially go herping, good channel for kids who like reptiles.
Clint and Coyote Peterson

Thank you for all your comments... we've now explained to our little one that perhaps the Chameleon - even though beautiful - wouldn't be the correct one for him! Now to sell the vivarium and start researching geckos!
What sort of viv do you have? I'm sure some people here might be able to help you figure out how to make it work for a different reptile so you dont have to sell it and start over. I'm glad you were able to explain this to your little one! You would be surprised how many parents we see that just dont care about the care for the animal and get it for their young child knowing full well it's probably going to die. Good on you!

@nightanole aren’t those colored LEDs horrible for chams?

I dont know any light that is horrible for any animal. Worst case they are "grow LEDS" and the cham will look an odd color. Plus 6500k is average, there is red shift and blue shift during the day/ seasons.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/diy-advanced-led-fixtures-part-1-parts.2404/

I dont know how to do all this fancy new forum stuff, but cyberlocc is the LED guru if you want to mention him

I dont know any light that is horrible for any animal. Worst case they are "grow LEDS" and the cham will look an odd color. Plus 6500k is average, there is red shift and blue shift during the day/ seasons.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/diy-advanced-led-fixtures-part-1-parts.2404/

I dont know how to do all this fancy new forum stuff, but cyberlocc is the LED guru if you want to mention him

We actually just had this conversation.
@cyberlocc
https://www.chameleonforums.com/posts/1498980/

@nightanole aren’t those colored LEDs horrible for chams?

IDK that it's bad for them, as much as stressful. Reptiles, have 4 cones of vision, most mammals have 2 and we have 3. They can see light and Spectrums of light, we can't even see. They see much differently than we do.

They use UVA, light (which we can see the tip of the spectrum of UVA, it's a black light) to indentify food, and what is poision. Yellows and Reds, glow for them, like they always have a bright black on everything. So adding a bunch of red, hinders this ability in their vision.

So the improtance of CRI for us, is that same glow effect. If you go to the grocery store, and notice how the meat looks so red and it just seems to glow, under the lights at the meat aisle. That's because they use specialized LEDs that are devoid of Red. This gives the effect of making the red look lighter, and seemingly glow. Making it look more attractive to buy, as they are using the same Techinique the reptiles do. The glowing meat triggers a hunger response, we see it as food.

If you give them a Meat Bulb, than Red bugs will look more appealing than green ones, and it is rendering their natural abilitys to be tricked. So it's stressful and unnatural.

Also, in our diverse plant life, that we out in vivariums we don't want the Blurple light. The concept of the Blurple light is that most "harvest plants" use blue to grow and red to flower. As they are green they reflect green light, so the growers have came to the idea that Green Spectrums are uneeded. It's mostly wasted, why bother.

The problem is, it's not fully wasted, and that doesn't work on say a Red Bromeliad, which reflects red and uses green. That is why most have started to blend it.

They do a Blurple, with some white as to provide green. The issue there, is it doesn't help the Cham or us, in color rendition, and alot of those cheap lights, use Cheap LEDs. The correct PUR Spectrums are Royal Blue and Photo Red, and those LEDs are difficult to make, those are not RBG led Spectrums, and alot of these cheap makers are using the RBG eq cheap LEDs, which do nothing for PUR and just give you worthless Blurple mess.

Your far better, to go with a good quality 5600-6500k light that offers high Royal Blues and Photo reds in it's better LEDs. There was a few listed earlier today, that are in the screw in bulb fitting.

These are cheap and easy, https://www.amazon.com/SANSI-Spectrum-Hydroponic-Greenhouse-Houseplants/dp/B07BRKT56T and have a good spectrum.

As are these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07L88B9ZD/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(Those are unbranded JD spots, it's China screwing over Arcadia, YMMV, China likes to do that. You have them build you a light, and they use leftovers and their old tooling to build more rebrand and undercut you) they have also been overdriven by an additional 5ws, which is probably not a good idea they were already super overdriven.

That said, the Lumens per Watt on these are not great, but they make up for that, in a very good spectrum, a good beam angle to get alot of light on to the bottom and lower half, and severe ease of use. (It's a light socket, no DIY required) and decent pricing, for the amount of light, the quality of light, and ease of use.

Will add a better written explanation, with links and pretty pictures in my blog soon. So we can just link that, :).

I was going to work on some last night, but my daughter decided to dump chocolate milk on my laptop, so it's down for a couple of days....

Last edited:
IDK that it's bad for them, as much as stressful. Reptiles, have 4 cones of vision, most mammals have 2 and we have 3. They can see light and Spectrums of light, we can't even see. They see much differently than we do.

They use UVA, light (which we can see the tip of the spectrum of UVA, it's a black light) to indentify food, and what is poision. Yellows and Reds, glow for them, like they always have a bright black on everything. So adding a bunch of red, hinders this ability in their vision.

So the improtance of CRI for us, is that same glow effect. If you go to the grocery store, and notice how the meat looks so red and it just seems to glow, under the lights at the meat aisle. That's because they use specialized LEDs that are devoid of Red. This gives the effect of making the red look lighter, and seemingly glow. Making it look more attractive to buy, as they are using the same Techinique the reptiles do. The glowing meat triggers a hunger response, we see it as food.

If you give them a Meat Bulb, than Red bugs will look more appealing than green ones, and it is rendering their natural abilitys to be tricked. So it's stressful and unnatural.

Also, in our diverse plant life, that we out in vivariums we don't want the Blurple light. The concept of the Blurple light is that most "harvest plants" use blue to grow and red to flower. As they are green they reflect green light, so the growers have came to the idea that Green Spectrums are uneeded. It's mostly wasted, why bother.

The problem is, it's not fully wasted, and that doesn't work on say a Red Bromeliad, which reflects red and uses green. That is why most have started to blend it.

They do a Blurple, with some white as to provide green. The issue there, is it doesn't help the Cham or us, in color rendition, and alot of those cheap lights, use Cheap LEDs. The correct PUR Spectrums are Royal Blue and Photo Red, and those LEDs are difficult to make, those are not RBG led Spectrums, and alot of these cheap makers are using the RBG eq cheap LEDs, which do nothing for PUR and just give you worthless Blurple mess.

Your far better, to go with a good quality 5600-6500k light that offers high Royal Blues and Photo reds in it's better LEDs. There was a few listed earlier today, that are in the screw in bulb fitting.

These are cheap and easy, https://www.amazon.com/SANSI-Spectrum-Hydroponic-Greenhouse-Houseplants/dp/B07BRKT56T and have a good spectrum.

As are these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07L88B9ZD/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(Those are unbranded JD spots, it's China screwing over Arcadia, YMMV, China likes to do that. You have them build you a light, and they use leftovers and their old tooling to build more rebrand and undercut you) they have also been overdriven by an additional 5ws, which is probably not a good idea they were already super overdriven.

That said, the Lumens per Watt on these are not great, but they make up for that, in a very good spectrum, a good beam angle to get alot of light on to the bottom and lower half, and severe ease of use. (It's a light socket, no DIY required) and decent pricing, for the amount of light, the quality of light, and ease of use.

Will add a better written explanation, with links and pretty pictures in my blog soon. So we can just link that, :).

I was going to work on some last night, but my daughter decided to dump chocolate milk on my laptop, so it's down for a couple of days....
Good post, learned a few things!

Back
Top Bottom