Friendly cham?

So i got my veiled chameleon(Loki) a few days go, and i did a lot of research on them. All sites i went on said that they were not very social and to handle them as little as possible, however, my cham turns neon colors and raises his front hands up like he wants to be picked up. he acts crazy until i put my hand in his habitat, then he climbs up my arm and clings to the front of my shirt. this behavior started only a few hours after i got him, after i fed him and misted his cage. he does feed out of my hand and will drink out of a spoon if i'm holding it. Is something wrong or is he just unlike other chams?

So i got my veiled chameleon(Loki) a few days go, and i did a lot of research on them. All sites i went on said that they were not very social and to handle them as little as possible, however, my cham turns neon colors and raises his front hands up like he wants to be picked up. he acts crazy until i put my hand in his habitat, then he climbs up my arm and clings to the front of my shirt. this behavior started only a few hours after i got him, after i fed him and misted his cage. he does feed out of my hand and will drink out of a spoon if i'm holding it. Is something wrong or is he just unlike other chams?

There is probably something about his enclosure he doesn't like, so he's trying to get out of it. Can you post pics of the enclosure please?

chams will go from "biting the hand its standing on" to "head butt snuggles on the shoulder". And you have not gone through "teenage veiled syndrome" yet, so enjoy handling the cham for now.

If the cham comes to you, anything goes. Just dont put your hand in "loki's" tree. That is its house/room.

I second the enclosure photos. What temps are you reading in the cage as well? Being a new cham to you, there is something he does not like in the cage that makes him think this big possibly dangerous creature is more comfortable than in the cage.

Usually a young cham in a new enclosure will try to stay hidden as much as it can. At that stage in life, they are food for a lot of predators.

chams will go from "biting the hand its standing on" to "head butt snuggles on the shoulder". And you have not gone through "teenage veiled syndrome" yet, so enjoy handling the cham for now.

If the cham comes to you, anything goes. Just dont put your hand in "loki's" tree. That is its house/room.
He is 3 years old now, so i don,t think i have to worry about "teenage veiled syndrome"

I second the enclosure photos. What temps are you reading in the cage as well? Being a new cham to you, there is something he does not like in the cage that makes him think this big possibly dangerous creature is more comfortable than in the cage.

Usually a young cham in a new enclosure will try to stay hidden as much as it can. At that stage in life, they are food for a lot of predators.

he is three years old

Attachments

• IMG_7352.JPG
    IMG_7352.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 294
Neon colors and raising the hand dont sound like “pick me up” colors, they sound line “eff you up” colors to me.

23999639-2844-4A9B-92B7-FA9A7A85D430.jpeg

That being said, most of my guys will happily come to my hand to come outside or free range. Sometimes they’re content in their space and sometimes they clearly want out. I dont think handling them for a few minutes if they want out is detremental, especially if it leads to something they enjoy, like a few minutes of sunshine.

Neon colors and raising the hand dont sound like “pick me up” colors, they sound line “eff you up” colors to me.

View attachment 236920

That being said, most of my guys will happily come to my hand to come outside or free range. Sometimes they’re content in their space and sometimes they clearly want out. I dont think handling them for a few minutes if they want out is detremental, especially if it leads to something they enjoy, like a few minutes of sunshine.
If its warm enough and he wants out, i take him outside in the sun, and when he has seen his reflection or any of my family members, he gets darker and blows himself up, the bright colors also show up when im hand feeding him mealworms waxworms and superworms

Back
Top Bottom