Fresh setup opinions please

Clubber122

I recently lost my veiled Cham due to a vet who was a bit too keen with a needle! So I'm going to start again, this time I'm going to get a panther around 2-3 months old, this is my setup so far minus the dripper can anyone for see any problems I might run in to? I'm using a 10% uv and 60watt heat bulb that's on a dimmer stat

vuha6a8u.jpg

yhetyryb.jpg

Looks pretty good. Accouple things I would suggest are to maybe add a live plant or 2 and I would swap that 60 watt light for a 40 watt bulb especially with a baby in a small glass enclosure like that. I could see that terrarium housing a baby chameleon. You do know you will need to upgrade to a screen enclosure in the near future right ?

Looks pretty good. Accouple things I would suggest are to maybe add a live plant or 2 and I would swap that 60 watt light for a 40 watt bulb especially with a baby in a small glass enclosure like that. I could see that terrarium housing a baby chameleon. You do know you will need to upgrade to a screen enclosure in the near future right ?

Thanks, I have some live plants that can go in there outside sun bathing at the moment, I can change to a 40watt bulb also but does it matter since its on a dimmer stat? I will be buying a screen enclosure in the near future

I would prefer to use a dome fixture for the basking bulb. Those white walls are very reflective, and your cham may not be able to get to a darker shady spot with all that brightness. Just a thought, might not be an issue. :)

The glass is fine, however live plants do NEED to be added. They help with holding water on the leaves as well as keep a natural humidity

I'm in the same situation, losing my 4 yr old veiled, and starting over with a baby. As I go back reading to refresh my memory, others have said that 10% UVB is too strong for a baby. For that reason I'm using 5% on my baby cage. Good luck with the new baby!

I'm in the same situation, losing my 4 yr old veiled, and starting over with a baby. As I go back reading to refresh my memory, others have said that 10% UVB is too strong for a baby. For that reason I'm using 5% on my baby cage. Good luck with the new baby!

I'm going for 10% as the mesh apparently filters out half of the uv

You would be better off getting a good UVB bulb like an Arcadia 6% in a T5-HO format. It produces way more than a T8 version of a 5% and is much better for a chameleon than a 10% as well. The 10% is more for the desert/dryer climate reptiles.

I agree with all the above posters. The flourescent tube needs a better reflector too. All that light is being waisted. A good reflector will direct it in a more concentrated and accrate way into the terrarium.

Otherwise NICE SETUP!

Hi welcome! He is on the small side and should not have been sold but with good care he should do well. As others have said adding live plants is a very good idea.

The 10.0 tube is fine. You are correct in the fact that the mesh will filter some uv.

A 6% T5HO gives out more uv than the 10.0 bulb so if the 10.0 is deemed too strong the 6% T5 HO bulb will be miles too strong even though both are fine. A 12% T5 HO bulb would not be too strong either aslong as the cage is decorated correctly. There is no longer really such things as one bulb for desert animals it is about the cageing, decoration and species. I personally use a 12% T5 HO bulb on all my panthers and they do fine. No bulb available is too strong when a cage is setup correctly.

In other words the uv bulb you have is fine!

I personally would add a dome over the heating as it will direct more heat downwards where needed. As the bulb is on a thermostat you do not have to worry about the wattage but a 40 watt bulb would probably give the heat needed.

I take it you are in the UK? I am a fellow uk keeper. if you need any help and need to know anything uk specific pm me and I will be happy to help.

Hi welcome! He is on the small side and should not have been sold but with good care he should do well. As others have said adding live plants is a very good idea.

The 10.0 tube is fine. You are correct in the fact that the mesh will filter some uv.

A 6% T5HO gives out more uv than the 10.0 bulb so if the 10.0 is deemed too strong the 6% T5 HO bulb will be miles too strong even though both are fine. A 12% T5 HO bulb would not be too strong either aslong as the cage is decorated correctly. There is no longer really such things as one bulb for desert animals it is about the cageing, decoration and species. I personally use a 12% T5 HO bulb on all my panthers and they do fine. No bulb available is too strong when a cage is setup correctly.

In other words the uv bulb you have is fine!

I personally would add a dome over the heating as it will direct more heat downwards where needed. As the bulb is on a thermostat you do not have to worry about the wattage but a 40 watt bulb would probably give the heat needed.

I take it you are in the UK? I am a fellow uk keeper. if you need any help and need to know anything uk specific pm me and I will be happy to help.

Thanks for the reply, I'm just worried a out supplementation, how much to use and how often for such a small little man, he is tiny I do agree sold to me as 9 weeks but we can clearly see he isn't!

Bradley is correct about UVB lighting outputs. The "5" and "10" on UVB light packaging refers to the ratio of UVB to UVA + visible light. 5% HO (High-Output) tubes (made by some manufacturers) emit more UVB overall than low output 10% tubes, though the ratio to UVA + visible will be lower. Wear your shades! :cool:

Supplementation I would still use the
Calcium everyday
Calcium with d3 twice a month
Multivitamin twice a month

Just dust lightly though so the crickets turn one shade lighter.

That's the main thing he needs so he cannot go without. Zoomeds one is very good. Have a look on swell reptiles. Avoid the Exo terra one though.

Back
Top Bottom