Fresh out of his first shower...he was not pleased!

Balien

Nelson just had his first shower today to help with his shed..he didn’t really seem to like it. He just kind of sat there and didn’t move. He wasn’t super pale or dark or anything but he didn’t try to go into the mist at all either and I didn’t want to force him.

I’m curious how long it took your chams to get to the point where they actually enjoy their showers?

Attachments

• EE1D968D-6E7D-41EA-AF25-4B0B3C6ED36F.jpeg
    EE1D968D-6E7D-41EA-AF25-4B0B3C6ED36F.jpeg
    274.7 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
That is good to know..I saw several threads that recommended a shower to help with shedding, I feel bad now that I put him through that for nothing

If your having problems with shed then your humidity is more than likely too high. Try to get it down to about 40% during the day and as close to 100% as you can get it at night.

If your having problems with shed then your humidity is more than likely too high. Try to get it down to about 40% during the day and as close to 100% as you can get it at night.

I don’t think he was having any issues I honestly thought it would just make things easier for him. I saw a lot of people saying they give their chams showers twice a week and that they enjoy it so I figured now would be a good time to give him one. But now I know better for the future I guess

So I’m not sure who is in charge of what goes in the Resources section of the forum, but I think it might be a good idea to make a note in the showering section of “Water and Humidity” that it should only be done in special cases.
As someone new to the forum and to owning a chameleon, reading through that made it seem like it was a normal way to ensure your Cham gets adequate hydration, and it makes no mention that it’s potentially very stressful for them. I wouldn’t want to see anyone else stressing their Cham out like I just did for no reason

So I’m not sure who is in charge of what goes in the Resources section of the forum, but I think it might be a good idea to make a note in the showering section of “Water and Humidity” that it should only be done in special cases.
As someone new to the forum and to owning a chameleon, reading through that made it seem like it was a normal way to ensure your Cham gets adequate hydration, and it makes no mention that it’s potentially very stressful for them. I wouldn’t want to see anyone else stressing their Cham out like I just did for no reason
You mean like this blog

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/basic-info-on-misting-and-fogging.2325/

This one is the one I was referring to:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/water/

I think it is a very good idea to have a post about this! New keepers get advice about things we all "understand" and may not actually do a great job explaining and the message gets lost in translation. @Brad , what do you think? We need to think about where the advice has come from and explain things fully just in case the wrong idea is received. Perhaps a bit of editing on this section is due?

To be fair I started in this hobby over 10 years ago and can remember the advice at that time was to increase humidity when they were shedding. The neatest thing about chameleon-keeping is that for all we know we are all still learning and perfecting our care strategies. The best thing to do is to learn from our mistakes and share them so that others don't repeat them.

To be fair I started in this hobby over 10 years ago and can remember the advice at that time was to increase humidity when they were shedding. The neatest thing about chameleon-keeping is that for all we know we are all still learning and perfecting our care strategies. The best thing to do is to learn from our mistakes and share them so that others don't repeat them.

I first came on here in 2017 and I was seeing post saying to increase humidity during shedding so i did. Then all of a sudden everyone is saying there’s dry shedders and not to increase the humidity.

And now everyone is saying to mist less during the day and use a humidifier at night. I’m so confused! Lol

I have switched my veileds from day misting to misting at night, and it is going well so far - I think I made the switch about 3 months ago or so. I am an avid listener to Bill Strand's podcast, The Chameleon Breeder, and follow his advice because his guests are experts in their fields (literally!), and have traveled to Yemen and Madagascar, taking copious notes about the locations where these beautiful creatures are found and then trying to replicate those conditions here. It's an ever-evolving hobby and that's part of the reason I love it!

I first came on here in 2017 and I was seeing post saying to increase humidity during shedding so i did. Then all of a sudden everyone is saying there’s dry shedders and not to increase the humidity.

And now everyone is saying to mist less during the day and use a humidifier at night. I’m so confused! Lol
THANK YOU! I am confused about so many things too! I

I am so confused too! As I’m reading more and more there seems to be a lot contradicting info out there. It’s crazy how quickly knowledge changes and care requirements need to be updated (not that it’s a bad thing-I know we all want what is best for our pets).

Based on advice I’ve been given in the threads I’ve posted, I do think some of the resources tabs need to be updated/expanded, especially since that’s probably one of the first things someone new to keeping chameleons will read.

I would love to help, so if there is anything I can do just let me know!

I think it is a very good idea to have a post about this! New keepers get advice about things we all "understand" and may not actually do a great job explaining and the message gets lost in translation. @Brad , what do you think? We need to think about where the advice has come from and explain things fully just in case the wrong idea is received. Perhaps a bit of editing on this section is due?

I think all water related stuff... showering, fogging, and drainage/ dry out time are really important to clarify more. As a new owner it is easy to be heavy handed- just overdoing everything. Without clarifying the balance of dry out time it could lead to respiratory infections, bacteria, and stress.

Back
Top Bottom