Free roaming a large 6ft ficus...

BrianIntheNo

What do you guys & gals think, I just got a 6ft ficus benjamina for free & after cleaning, pruning and repotting, I want to let my young male veiled have at it. He is only about 4-5 inches (7 inches with tail), does anybody think he is too little to be climbing that high? thanks.

Keep an eye on him. He can get lost in your house. My guys were closer to a year before they were completely free range.

If you can cham proof the rest of the room and/or block the door so he is confined to the room at least. When chams are first free ranged they will tend to wander for a while checking out just where they can get to and where they can't. Once he's "convinced" that everything he needs is in that tree he'll tend to stay there.

thanks for the quick replies! To clarify a little i would only let him use the tree when i can watch him (maybe a couple hours a day a few times a week) then its back in his cage.

That's a perfect tree to free range from time to time. I would love to have a 6ft ficus :)

thanks for the quick replies! To clarify a little i would only let him use the tree when i can watch him (maybe a couple hours a day a few times a week) then its back in his cage.

When he's older you might want to set up some lights over his tree and allow him to free range all the time.

All you guys that can free range are extremely lucky, unfortunately, we have a house cat. Pretty much foils any opportunity for that.

Back
Top Bottom