free ranging my panther!!!

lots of vines to climb, otherwise he/she will just climb whatever it can find. mind climbs up some vertical blinds to sit above the window in the room.

There are some pictures in the Free Range forum; lots can also be found by searching through various threads, although the search function isn't always as wonderful as humanly possible. Here's a link to a thread showing my free range in my old house - rather sparse, with a Chameleon Condo (with lights, plants and drip system) in the center connected to other parts of the room by vines. At present, I have the same Condo on one side of a window, bendy vine crossing in front of window and 5 foot Schefflera on other side of window connected by vine. My current panther seems perfectly content with this, with little inclination to go exploring, while my previous panther would wander all over the house given the chance, so we blocked off the living room with a "lizard gate" he couldn't climb over.
My veiled free ranges in a separate room with three plants, a big window and her lights.

heres mine..4 n a half month old male panther, 27 year old ficus tree, 100 watt uvb/uva bulb, little dripper system( mist king soon) vines to go to window....give it a try..

Attachments

• CIMG0007.jpg
    CIMG0007.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 352
  • CIMG0013.jpg
    CIMG0013.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 437
  • CIMG0018.jpg
    CIMG0018.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 328
heres mine..4 n a half month old male panther, 27 year old ficus tree, 100 watt uvb/uva bulb, little dripper system( mist king soon) vines to go to window....give it a try..

wow that is nice!!!! where did you get your ficus...do you think this results in a happier and healthier chameleon?????
what is the purpose of the vines going to the window...

the tree was owned by my mother for 27 years i got it from her when i was like 15(started using it for free ranging about 10 years ago) you can get a large ficus for a reasonable price..as for the vines going to the window, it give my cham sun for about 3 hours a day, gives light to the tree and gives the cham some brain stimulation ( ive yet to see him wonder from his tree) most of the chams ive had free range ied say 80 percent stay in their tree, its the safe spot..

as i was replying to this my cham was going back to the window for another look..lol

p.s. go to home depot or an armstrongs

Attachments

• CIMG0038.jpg
    CIMG0038.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
maybe they can get the larger ones shipped to your store..otherwise go to your local garden shop(if you have one)

to tell you the truth yes he has no problem with me beeing right next to him or my friends sitting on the chair below him, he continues on his chameleon adventures..no matter how many people are in the room he will hand feed until he is full, and drink water from an eyedropper..i rarely handle him still, but when i do he has no issue with it..only gets a lil lighter in color, no flare ups..he doesent like to let go of me when i take him outside to enjoy the sun, lol

p.s. if you where wondering where the dropping end up..he goes in the same place everyday, so a shallow dish with kitty litter placed well catches it everytime..

i started hashi the day he came home from LLL reptile he was maybe 2 and a half months old..i just monitored him as much as possible for the first few days to see what he would do..he hasent left the tree without me..

to tell you the truth yes he has no problem with me beeing right next to him or my friends sitting on the chair below him, he continues on his chameleon adventures..no matter how many people are in the room he will hand feed until he is full, and drink water from an eyedropper..i rarely handle him still, but when i do he has no issue with it..only gets a lil lighter in color, no flare ups..he doesent like to let go of me when i take him outside to enjoy the sun, lol

p.s. if you where wondering where the dropping end up..he goes in the same place everyday, so a shallow dish with kitty litter placed well catches it everytime..

ok but cant the dropping also serve as a fertilizer or is that going to end up smelling and being messy but the dish and kitty litter sound like a very good idea

lol, ive never tried to use chameleon number two's to fertilize a garden, but im sure they offer somthing..who know's could give it a try..

This is my veiled's free range. I didn't start free ranging him until he was around 5 mo. old. Babies tend to wander and are simply more fragile. You certainly could free range a youngster, but with the utmost care and caution. If this is your first time owning a chameleon, you might want to start out with it in a cage, until you learn his behavior and signs of good health in a more controlled environment. That way you can recognize any problems as you begin to free range. If you feel prepared to begin with a free range, then go for it! Just be very attentive to your cham's behavior and health. Personally, I would have a screen cage on hand even for a free ranged chameleon. Don't make the mistake of thinking that you'll save money by free ranging and not having to buy a cage - free ranging, for me, has been more expensive than traditional housing. It can be more time consuming, as well.

Providing the proper lighting and humidity can be a challenge with a free range. You can get tons of ideas by looking through other member's photos of their free ranges. Pay close attention to how they provide UVB light, a basking source, and water. Keep in mind that you may need to provide more than one UVB light, depending on the size of your free range.

I've heard many members say that free ranging has made happier and friendlier chams. My veiled is definitely happier, but by no means has he become any friendlier. He hates my guts. But he's a veiled, so I don't expect much. I leave 'His Majesty' alone and he stays above my head in his free range.

I would not use kitty litter. If they were to ingest that (and it could happen), you would have serious problems with impaction. They tend to also 'go' in the same place, so you could put down a tray lined with paper town, perhaps. As far as providing fertilizer - pretty much any organic matter will do that, but I'd use something made for that purpose (that doesn't smell like poop, lol).

Attachments

• IMG_4452.jpg
    IMG_4452.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_4652.jpg
    IMG_4652.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_4645.jpg
    IMG_4645.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 278
lingling makes good points..they ARE typically more time consuming, im usually home..(although i have had a 9-5 and still got away with it..ive been blessed with happy chill chams)

lingling makes good points..they ARE typically more time consuming, im usually home..(although i have had a 9-5 and still got away with it..ive been blessed with happy chill chams)

im thinkng of doing a free range like yours with a big ficus and vines going to the window but i will not leave him there all day but only when i am at home and he is under my supervision

Back
Top Bottom