Free range+Pygmy=?

boosh96

I'm putting some consideration into getting another R. brevicaudatus, and so I was wondering about the possibility of free ranging a pygmy? It seems to me like free ranging is the best way to go for the larger species-can anyone help me figure out the risks and rewards of possibly doing this with a pygmy? If it helps anyone to help me make a decision, I have a chihuahua mix who's wary of reptiles and stuff. Thanks!

I personally wouldn't recommend it. Due to their size if they wandered off you may never find them again!

They are way too small. There are some days I can't even find them in their enclosure because they blend so well and are so small! You could step on one without even realizing it, your dog would eat one in a heartbeat. And with them being so small, and their food being so small I can't imagine they would be able to find their food in a free range setting. I would definitely not recommend it at all.

They are way too small. There are some days I can't even find them in their enclosure because they blend so well and are so small! You could step on one without even realizing it, your dog would eat one in a heartbeat. And with them being so small, and their food being so small I can't imagine they would be able to find their food in a free range setting. I would definitely not recommend it at all.

I second this. I also see people free range the larger chameleons because they need more space and it can be very beautiful to have a large free range. But with pyg's you can make a BEAUTIFUL little exo-terra enclosure that will be much safer for the little chameleons.

Well if you were to free range in a greenhouse. And it had a very restricted area that they stayed in.... I wouldn't see anything wrong with it. Yes they are small, but if they can do it in the wild, I think they can handle it. IMPO! Let us know what you do!!!

Its not the size of the free range that is the issue with free ranging them, its the size of the pygmies and their requirements. If they escaped and got lost, your dog could kill them or you might not be able to find them before they died. There was a member who did it successfully, but I dont think its the best idea, especially since you have a dog.

The one who did it successfully did it within the realms of a smallish potted bush where the cham didn't have a cage but also could not leave the one bush. There was a sizable distance between the dirt the bush was planted in and the top of the pot so nothing could get out. And they didn't have animals that could try to hurt the little pyg if they did see it. So in that realm it can work, but it's more difficult to control humidity since there's no cage walls. Humidity is pretty much whatever your house naturally is, which is not very tropical on purpose. ;)

Hey its not impossible but i wouldn't even recommend getting a pygmy with out some veiled or panther experience

I back this as well. I free range almost all my animals but I would never free-range pygmys. They are so small that it is very easy to provide them with a plenty large enough enclosure such that the effects of free-ranging would be virtually non-existant and the harms would be far too great.

The food issue would be a huge one too

Back
Top Bottom