Free Range Light fixtures IN DEVELOPMENT

Venutus1

Avid Member
Site Sponsor
Hi There...
For the past 6 mo. I have tackled the Free Range UV issue and thought out of the box on it.

Technically-
this post could be moved under "Free Range" -- but I figured less people would see it if it were there...
and I am looking for maximum input for brain storming.

But it can be moved if the mods want --:eek:

Anyway-
And what I am asking for is that everyone who wants to participate --

Please pop a post below about:

WHAT YOU HATE and The Problems one encounters ABOUT TRYING TO LIGHT / UV (AND HEAT) Free Range Chams.

I know it is an ODD REQUEST.:eek:

But get this--

I think I have COVERED almost ALL the Bases with my 2 New products.

When will you see these 2 new products??

(... he he ... he says craftily...:cool: )

Soon. Very Soon.

Cheers & Thank you.
Todd

Sounds like a very cool project! I can't wait to see what you came up with. I don't free range my chameleons for long enough periods of time to need to heat and give them UVB on the "play tree", but I'm still very interested to see the new fixture.

Problems I would think one would encounter with a free range heat lamp, is making sure they can't shoot at the hot bulb with their tongue.

Or having a good looking way to hang the fixtures themselves.

I free range everything that I have and I use a few of the old chameleon condos and they have the screw in light bulb. I use allot of the Mega Rays and Power suns but they just don't make a low enough wattage for my female. I try to keep her in the low 80's and the 100 watts are way to hot and even the 70 watt that Mega Ray puts out it too warm. A nice bulb that provides a little heat and UVB would be nice.

Last edited:
Sounds like a very cool project! I can't wait to see what you came up with. I don't free range my chameleons for long enough periods of time to need to heat and give them UVB on the "play tree", but I'm still very interested to see the new fixture.

Problems I would think one would encounter with a free range heat lamp, is making sure they can't shoot at the hot bulb with their tongue.

Or having a good looking way to hang the fixtures themselves.

Thank you!

I need all the ideas I can get to put the finishing touches on these contraptions.

I know one thing that people do and often are MIS-LED on...

They have planted porches , sun rooms, 4 season rooms etc that they *THINK* the animals are getting good light-- and are having a ball free ranging over a large area of plants.

Umm... they are...

Until MDB sets in a few months and then the animals cripple up and can NOT walk anymore.
:eek::confused:

Because unfortunately what they don't know is that ALL UVB is being filtered out by the window glass.

Now I am developing a clamp on "far reaching Arm" light and a floor lamp that will broadcast strong UV about 16" - 24" .

Thank you!

Can't wait to see the new lighting system! I have seen Jannb's free range setups and the condo has always been something that I think is really cool and practical for my purposes. Very excited to see the new lights.

Thank you!

I need all the ideas I can get to put the finishing touches on these contraptions.

I know one thing that people do and often are MIS-LED on...

They have planted porches , sun rooms, 4 season rooms etc that they *THINK* the animals are getting good light-- and are having a ball free ranging over a large area of plants.

Umm... they are...

Until MDB sets in a few months and then the animals cripple up and can NOT walk anymore.
:eek::confused:

Because unfortunately what they don't know is that ALL UVB is being filtered out by the window glass.

Now I am developing a clamp on "far reaching Arm" light and a floor lamp that will broadcast strong UV about 16" - 24" .

Thank you!

Hello, I'm glad this came up. I have been looking for a way to give uvb free range. I'm thinking a floor lamp fixture that would accommodate a tube. A reflective hood would be great, maybe a removable wire grid for safety. A "gooseneck" so it could be used horizontally or vertically if possible. What do you think? By the way , use your lights, love them.

Hello, I'm glad this came up. I have been looking for a way to give uvb free range. I'm thinking a floor lamp fixture that would accommodate a tube. A reflective hood would be great, maybe a removable wire grid for safety. A "gooseneck" so it could be used horizontally or vertically if possible. What do you think? By the way , use your lights, love them.

You are a like minded individual for sure! Whoo Hoo!

I get wa-a-ay over excited about this stuff... can't you tell?? LOL :eek::D:eek::D

OK... I guess one "peek" will not hurt at one of the items. ;)

Here is a sneek peek at the "head" of the light- that is on top of a 6.5 foot TELESCOPING stand..

It has sort of a swivel attached to a 6" goose neck for complete adjust-ability.

It uses a souped up Electronic High Power PL style 24w Arcadia 12% "U" bulb to broadcast UV in good levels unencumbered for about 2 FEET.

I am still working on some things but it will be ready soon.

UV on solarmeter 6.2 @ 107 uw/cm2 at about 18"
Amazing? Yep!

I owe allot to customers like you greenwitch7 because a percentage of all of what I make goes into developing NEW and Better Products.
Thank you for your business- I appreciate it.
Customers who buy from LYR are funding the mad-scientist in me to be able to experiment and develop new products that hopefully benefit ALL Reptiles in Captivity.

Thank you.
Todd

Attachments

• flood lamp1.jpg
    flood lamp1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 152
  • flood at 18 - UV 107.jpg
    flood at 18 - UV 107.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 98
new fixtures

Hi Todd,
New lights look great! Looking forward to them hitting the market. I trust the stand is super slippery just to be safe. Will it have uvb and heat too? Will there be a model that will include a plant light? How about a model that has 2 arms each with a fixture?
Ok, I will stop now. Good luck with your Mad scienceing.

Back
Top Bottom