Free Range Feeders...how?

What achieves the best result in feeding free range chameleons, I have been making my free range (it's huge btw, 4x2x7ft, so I have the room for some pretty large feeding ideas). Info about the setup:
- material - PVC
- size - 4 ft length x 2 ft width x 7 ft height
- budget for feeding - preferably under $50, this build was very expensive already and not even totally complete
I already have two watering methods, a humidifier and a chameleon fountain (if it works, then it does, if not, he can work with his mister and leaves, I wonder if he'd go for bromeliad water?), but I still need this. I'm going to Lowes tomorrow to pick up a tablepiece for his plants (I'm thinking a plastic or metal grate), and then, excluding his food, I'm ready for him (and very excited, I'm still indecisive about either a veiled or jacksons). Thanks for any advice

I just used shallow plastic totes with sticks running across them. Just about any cham can hit something a foot away if they stretch. I used black concrete mixing tubs so the feeders would be high contrast and attract some customers.

This was my problem with free ranging. I free ranged worms on the branches, crickets tens to jump out of cups at some point. Roaches don't move much in cup. And you also can't feed fliers, although I was working on some sort of suspended *cave* that the cham could go in for fliers.

I'll probably utilize feeding towers, though unlike the videos I've seen of them on youtube, I'll be using PVC instead of an empty orange juice carton ha ha ha, I'm thinking mine may work a bit better.

When I have my cham in his free range I usually just hold the feeder cup and he comes over and starts shooting away. Simple and clean if you have the time to stand there.

Yeah I've done that, panthers generally seem to be pickier though(just what I've seen), it'd take me all day to feed my Chams like that.

hqdefault.jpg

Something like this

When I have my cham in his free range I usually just hold the feeder cup and he comes over and starts shooting away. Simple and clean if you have the time to stand there.
Yeah I'll probably do this too, maybe even start with this. Afterall, it's my room, I can probably feed him some in the morning, another feeding at 4:00, and maybe some before his bedtime. I've decided on going with a male and a female and will buy them in a few days. I'm using Underground Reptiles.

You can't house them together, but I'll go ahead and assume you know that. And also you shouldn't feed before bedtime, 4:00 is even pushing it. Feed in the morning as much as they can eat. Chams can go weeks sometimes without food(not that it's recommended), multiple times a day is overkill.

hqdefault.jpg

Something like this

Something like this can be done with a large 5gal zephyrhills water jug like for water coolers at work. The larger size would make for more shooting angles from a free range and the funnel shaped bottom makes clean up easy. Just remember to sand down the cut edges.

You could even go crazy and spray paint it black and insert a small low wattage bulb or led into the top to illuminate the feeders.

You can't house them together, but I'll go ahead and assume you know that. And also you shouldn't feed before bedtime, 4:00 is even pushing it. Feed in the morning as much as they can eat. Chams can go weeks sometimes without food(not that it's recommended), multiple times a day is overkill.
^^That. ^^ Plus, they need plenty of time to bask and digest the food. Their digestion is dependent on heat.

Ok to be totally honest, I forgot completely about the fact that JC's can't be kept in pairs. I even read a whole thing about it. I guess I got caught up in the idea of it, guess I'll just order one male. Here are pics of the free range, I haven't added my fountain, mister, or feeders yet, but I know where the water fountain is going at least. What do you guys think? (on a sidenote, those vines [except the mossy one] are real, I collected them outside, they're creepers that were growing up some trees, I researched them as well, totally safe, they are the perfect reptile vine)

Attachments

• image1 (1).JPG
    image1 (1).JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 251
  • image2 (1).JPG
    image2 (1).JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 250
  • image3 (1).JPG
    image3 (1).JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 270
Looks nice! I'd just add some plant leaves high up under the lights to give a dappling effect. This way UVB and heat are beaming 100% on the cham out in the open. It'd even be good if you could string some fake or real vines right under the lights all across, this would give the light shining through trees effect.

Thanks, I spent a long time on it and many trips to Lower for that PVC. That's a great idea, I've actually got a pothos up there, when he gets bigger he should do part of that. I have a basking area for heat, a branch under his heat light (about 7-9 inches away). The lights in the hanging ballast may be best unblocked, that's my grow light for the plants and necessary for some of them. The UVB is at the very top, its pretty far away from any branch, maybe 2-3 feet, but I can add another few branches/vines (I have a huge pile I cut down, after all, they were killing the trees, I wonder if I could sell some) closer if needed. I also have a Ficus B. growing in my window, its not huge yet, but when it gets bigger I plan on letting him chill in my window occasionally too. The only things left to the enclosure are now:
1. A jackson's chameleon (I'm still looking for a dealer and will probably use Backwater Reptiles or Underground Reptiles [the latter is much cheaper, but I am not totally sure on quality, I am awaiting an email from them, I figure if I get a pic of the chameleon I would obtain, I'd have a pretty good guarantee of health])
2. PVC feeding towers
3. I've got a humidifier I can use over the umbrella plant for his water (in addition to his fountain)

My new Jacksons Chameleon from Underground Reptiles (I did a lot of research on them, most of their bad reviews were for incredibly stupid reasons, such as wanting a refund 6 months later, they had a ton of good reviews too, most sites gave them 4.5 stars) is coming tomorrow, I've got to get some crickets for him (I've got a gas station nearby that always sells crickets of various size, plus I can find them outside). I'm probably going to have to put them in a cup and kinda hand feed for a bit, my tower didn't work, it was too large and heavy, plus I couldn't get a vine to come near it at the right angle. I'm thinking just a little rectangular dish about 4-5 inches deep with crickets in it will be the eventual solution, plus I could rip the hind legs off of some and then just release them in there, he'd find them before long and they can't jump everywhere, I can also use hornworms (another one I can catch outside, but not often, so I'll probably go to petsmart to get more). I've got a big bin with a top, water gel, light, egg boxes, and cricket food to keep crickets for him. He should be on my porch tomorrow, and I'll be there waiting, hopefully he comes healthy and a good size.

I would order crickets online and think about where you get crickets. I would never buy gas station crickets lol. Crickets do a good job of transmitting parasites if they aren't kept clean and manyyyy places have disgusting cricket habitats.

You're right, and while I've never really looked at their enclosure, I'm sure it's not the best. My local pet smart however, has good quality, I'll probably go with them. I can get various sizes with them too, plus hornworms.

Back
Top Bottom