Free range basics

chamguy

I have chameleons but never thought about doing free range type style. I understand it's usually a large area constructed with plants, vines, ect. But can they be free range 24/7. If I had a green house could they roam with out supervision?

I also have always had a free range set up..i currently only use free range for my chameleons(24\7) as well..there really isint a basic set up for free range, its usually very involved, and i reccomend it to advanced keepers only (i have 16 years behind my belt, but still run into things to learn)..heres a few pics of my set up.. and a quick vid..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRsnMrc2M5w

Attachments

• CIMG0362.jpg
    CIMG0362.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 285
  • CIMG0363.jpg
    CIMG0363.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 275
  • CIMG0364.jpg
    CIMG0364.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 230
  • CIMG0365.jpg
    CIMG0365.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 288
  • CIMG0366.jpg
    CIMG0366.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 280
That's awsome. Of course I'm not going to try this anytime soon, but I have something to look forward to! Do they ever escape or leave the area?

That's awsome. Of course I'm not going to try this anytime soon, but I have something to look forward to! Do they ever escape or leave the area?

once i gave them the authority to climb to the window and bask from there they literally never go anywhere, just from the sleeping zone, to bask in the powersun, then to the food bowl(thats when i wake up) and after that they go straight to the window and hang out there untill about 5 or so when the shade hits that side of the house..the vid was right around that time actually(reason why they wherent all bigg sunning)..but at least with this forum you can get all kinds of ideas and make your self a perfect set up using a lil bit from everyone!:D

Most chameleons are solitary creatures except for maybe some of the pgmys. Do multiples get along? Or do you just need to make the area larger?

I assume since they are free to move about and establish thier own territory vs being confined to a cage always the same distance from one another, then they can go where they please. I guess what I'm saying is when kept in a cage we establish thier terrtitory For them, where sometimes may overlap with anothers who's cage is to close. And free range fixes that.

Most chameleons are solitary creatures except for maybe some of the pgmys. Do multiples get along? Or do you just need to make the area larger?

I assume since they are free to move about and establish thier own territory vs being confined to a cage always the same distance from one another, then they can go where they please. I guess what I'm saying is when kept in a cage we establish thier terrtitory For them, where sometimes may overlap with anothers who's cage is to close. And free range fixes that.

from what ive seen, thats what happeneds..they just have more freedom, and arent so obsessed with the small space they have being "thiers"..mine are suprisingly docile..maybe because i show them affection, or just because they have free ranged since they could fit on my pinky(i start them off as babies, its nerve racking, but in the end they have a sence of "this is my spot" and dont really leave, vs. a caged cham that just recently started free ranging and wants to explore..where as mine just walk a route (the same one everyday)..

I have chameleons but never thought about doing free range type style. I understand it's usually a large area constructed with plants, vines, ect. But can they be free range 24/7. If I had a green house could they roam with out supervision?

After having a few diff setups and some experience...

yes you can free-range 24/7 and IF THEY HAVE EVERYTHING THEY NEED they will stay in it. I can't empshasize that enough. The instant they aren't fed on time, or the temperature or UVB isn't enough, or anything is wrong when they want it, they will head off looking for it somewhere else....but as long as they find it where they are "used to" it, they will stay nicely.

Time-dependance is very important. Clark typically gets up around 8, but doesn't start eating until 10. As long as I make sure to fill his cup before 10 he will go eat and then go bask and be merry. But if I oversleep or whatever and don't fill it, by 10:15-10:30 he's on the ground and heading outside.

The same goes for heat, UVB, plant cover, etc.

Lastly, of course, it has to be big enough for his size so that he can climb around it and feel like he is exploring.

hey jann what kind of trees do you use? Im thinking ficus but maybe something more like whatever you have

I use ficus inside and hibiscus outside mostly. Most of my inside plants are fake except the ones I do mistings on.

Evillost, I have alway free ranged my chams and I'm free ranging 10 right now and a Cuban Knight Anole and they all roam when they want. It's to be expected. That's why it's important to cham proof you area or in my case your house.

I'd love to do this on a south facing wall downstairs. The temperatures are nice and cool, there are windows 1/4 way up the wall to the top, and there's plenty of space along a 12-15 foot wall I could do this....now you got me thinking.

My only concern would be misting.....I don't want mildew to form from water getting onto the walls so often....

What do you guys do for misting/drip systems so it doesn't get all over your carpet, walls, drapes, etc..?

I'd love to do this on a south facing wall downstairs. The temperatures are nice and cool, there are windows 1/4 way up the wall to the top, and there's plenty of space along a 12-15 foot wall I could do this....now you got me thinking.

My only concern would be misting.....I don't want mildew to form from water getting onto the walls so often....

What do you guys do for misting/drip systems so it doesn't get all over your carpet, walls, drapes, etc..?

Olimpia had a very nice drainage system in her free range linked below.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-jungle-room-49654/

Back
Top Bottom