Free Chameleon!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all again... and just to give everyone some peace of mind. If my fiance and I had not done our homework on how to care for these creatures then we would not have gone out of our way to try and save her. I know that comment was towards the original owner however, I just wanted to make sure she was in a good place now. :)

twatts, if there were a competition for owner of the year, you would be leading the pack. She's obviously improving under your care. I look forward to more progress reports!

I may get chastised for this post, but I feel compelled.

I hate to say this, but there seems to be a lot of things here that just seem to be due to improper homework and preparations for the needs of a Cham.

Maybe this can be a lesson to those that are considering getting something that requires so much care and attention.

This is truly a sad story.

Gary
Tampa, FL

I'll agree that it's sad but it's turning around for the better and that little cham is regaining strength!! That in my book is the best thing you can hope (pun intended) for. I don't even wana think of all the animals in this world that aren't properly cared for, but at least this one is getting a second shot! If you only focus on the negative beginning of this story you'll never be able to appreciate the positive outcome. And like many others here have said that this can be a lesson to everyone. Yes it sucks when a person doesn't do proper research on a pet before bringing it home but at least the op was man enough to ask for help and to forge right thing and give his Cham to someone who could help. Think of all the people out there that don't ask for help and their chams suffer. So I say let's all gather behind Twatts and use his outlook on life to do good in the world not sit and complain to those who don't!

I may get chastised for this post, but I feel compelled.

I hate to say this, but there seems to be a lot of things here that just seem to be due to improper homework and preparations for the needs of a Cham.

Maybe this can be a lesson to those that are considering getting something that requires so much care and attention.

This is truly a sad story.

Gary
Tampa, FL

I think it is more appropriate to focus your disdain on the people that sold this kid a chameleon and lied about what he needed to do to properly care for it. Those who are making money off of these animals with no concern for their quality of life are the ones who deserve the lion's share of the blame.

Major props to twatts for a great job and a big heart. For all thse so critical at the op only one person volenteered to help. A lot easier to critize than to help. And how many on here never had an animal in their care die of unnatural causes? As a tropical fish owner i've killed many due to mistakes on my part. I feel bad about that, but can't change the past.

I think it is more appropriate to focus your disdain on the people that sold this kid a chameleon and lied about what he needed to do to properly care for it. Those who are making money off of these animals with no concern for their quality of life are the ones who deserve the lion's share of the blame.

I so agree!

Yes, people who buy pets should know how to care for them. But if there were not so many scandalous sellers out there who don't take the time to find out how much their customers know or need to know, not so many people would go into ownership so misinformed.

But, to end on a good note: Kudos to Hope and her loving family! You are all working so hard and I am cheering you on!

Good job for everyone involved. She looks like she's doing great! I hope the original owner is keeping in touch (or checking the forums) so he knows she is doing alright. I'm sure he felt awful :(

I think Hope will bounce back just fine. My cham Clyde has mbd and is doing wonderful now, other than some bowing on the lower part of his legs you'd never even know. He is still taking liquid calcium just in case though so your little girl could need it for life as well :eek:

I just wanted to thank twatts for taking my chameleon in and actually helping her. As for the rest of you, I really didnt get any help. In fact the majority of it was hate that didnt help any of the situation at all. I did not abuse this chameleon, I did not deliberately torture her, and the reason she got the way she did was because of my lack of supplementation. I admit I may have forgotten to feed her on rare occasions but that is about it other than supplementation. I did not understand the importance of supplementation as it was actually one of the less stressed subjects on the numerous care sheets i read. I thought that I was well informed but it turned out i wasnt. I think this is the reason mbd is the most prevalent illness captive chameleons have. I have searched this forum for a while and I have noticed that almost all the health issue threads that have been caused by the caretakers ignorance are filled with criticisms and scoldings aimed at making the OP feel bad, while there are an abundance of other health issue threads that are barely even answered. It seems to me as if many of the people who post on chameleon forums enjoy making other people feel resentment towards themselves. There are ALOT of people who have mistreated chameleons beyond the extent I have that never even thought about posting a thread on any forum to ask for help. Oh, and if someone was thinking about posting a thread for help and saw this thread, they more than likely wouldnt do it because they would know they would just bestow hatred upon themselves. Those of you who post hate are actually being detrimental to all chameleons in bad care as a whole. On the brighter side of things this forum does have alot of love for chameleons. I admire the care you all give your animals, but you have got to remember that you are not helping the chameleons by keeping them in captivity. I find it slightly hypocritical when I get bashed for accidentally neglecting an animal when everyone keeping a chameleon in a captive environment is neglecting them to an extent by not allowing them to be in their natural habitat. Im not saying you are a bad person or that you shouldnt keep chameleons in captivity, im just saying that it is almost impossible to take care of a chameleon and not neglect it in some way.

As for the rest of you, I really didnt get any help.

Really? I don't agree. Maybe you didn't like what you heard.

I admit I may have forgotten to feed her on rare occasions but that is about it other than supplementation.

How does someone who cares about a pet forget to feed it? That isn't due to misinformation or inexperience...that's lack of interest or caring.

I have searched this forum for a while and I have noticed that almost all the health issue threads that have been caused by the caretakers ignorance are filled with criticisms and scoldings aimed at making the OP feel bad, while there are an abundance of other health issue threads that are barely even answered.

I don't think I've EVER deliberately tried to make an OP feel bad just for the sake of it. I think I speak for other more mature senior members of this group who will say the same. If one of us lost patience and said something a little less tactfully it was out of grief for the animal. You can't come onto a dedicated forum like this and expect members not to show some emotion about their passion. That's unrealistic. If an OP feels badly as a result of something I suggest it was probably due to GUILT. BTW, there are health issues few respond to because WE DON"T KNOW the ANSWER!

It seems to me as if many of the people who post on chameleon forums enjoy making other people feel resentment towards themselves.

I completely disagree with this statement. You don't know me so you can't possibly put words in my mouth. If you search this forum as thoroughly as you say you do this would be obvious.

There are ALOT of people who have mistreated chameleons beyond the extent I have that never even thought about posting a thread on any forum to ask for help. Oh, and if someone was thinking about posting a thread for help and saw this thread, they more than likely wouldnt do it because they would know they would just bestow hatred upon themselves.

Let me remind you that communication takes two...one to Speak and the other to Hear. If the listener does not hear or bother to listen carefully they will feel hate when none was intended. By the time many new keepers decide they might be in trouble and find this forum they are already second guessing themselves. The hate they think they are getting is partly self imposed.

Those of you who post hate are actually being detrimental to all chameleons in bad care as a whole. On the brighter side of things this forum does have alot of love for chameleons. I admire the care you all give your animals, but you have got to remember that you are not helping the chameleons by keeping them in captivity. I find it slightly hypocritical when I get bashed for accidentally neglecting an animal Accidentally forgetting to feed it??when everyone keeping a chameleon in a captive environment is neglecting them to an extent by not allowing them to be in their natural habitat. Im not saying you are a bad person or that you shouldnt keep chameleons in captivity, im just saying that it is almost impossible to take care of a chameleon and not neglect it in some way.

So how do you account for those of us who keep totally captive produced animals? What about those who go out of their way to rescue doomed chams from others who give up on them? What about all the accumulated experience long term keepers have shared with the world to improve the living condition of chameleons who are already in captivity? We could all hide in our little private caves and watch our animals die from collective ignorance or selfishly guarding our own methods, or we can put ourselves out there, build these forums, share, test, discuss, debate, try new ideas, all in the name of love of chameleons, wild or captive.

I hear a lot of hate right in this little tirade. No one had to add to it.

Last edited:
I mean really why did you even feel the need to comment again if not to try to make me look and feel stupid? I dont feel stupid by the way, anyone can take an opinionated paragraph and change it to their view of things, as I did in the paragraph I made.

I just now found this thread, I think that the original owner faced their mistakes when they sought out help in an open forum. We as individuals need to remember that we are not perfect. No one can really say that they have never made mistakes in the care of your animals.
Your Dog ever ate somthing before you could get to them, ... your cat hack up fur balls, .. we are not perfect pet owners all the time. We try and we learn, some learn and have better understanding of their pet's needs then others.
"let the person with no sins cast the first stone"
If this form becomes a place of bashing owners who make mistakes then people will not ask for help. The one thing that I like when I started coming to this site after i got my little lady was the fact that if member had questions others were willing and ready to give advise. That the members were here for one another. I also understand that it is hard for any pet lover to see a pet in poor condition, but please remember that we would not have even know if the owner had not bit the bullet and faced all of the Cham owners on this site to ask for help, we would have never known that he had made these care errors.

I was not doing eveything right when I first started on here, But I read posts and information on this site and trusting the information that I found on here to be correct, made changes in my care.

so please remember when people come to this site and ask for help, they have already faced that something may be wrong in their care. they need your help not a buch of people getting on here and telling them how bad of a person they are for makeing and mistake and owning up to it.

everywhere I go I just get hated upon
If this thread bothers you that much then just stop responding to people who are just gonna "insult" you more. It just goes around and around. Arguing isn't going to solve anything. As stated before this should just die or be closed down as the discussion has gone far beyond the Original topic, and is against site rules to be bashing or being hateful to other users.

Terms of Use
By using these forums and other site features you agree to the following:
1.You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, inflammatory, obscene, profane, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.
2.You represent and warrant that you own or otherwise control all of the rights to the content that you post or upload; that the content is accurate; that use of the content you supply does not violate this policy and will not cause injury to any person or entity; and that you will indemnify Chameleon Forums or its affiliates for all claims resulting from content you supply. You understand that Chameleon Forums has the right but not the obligation to monitor and edit or remove any activity or content. Chameleon Forums takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any content posted by you or any third party.
3.By submitting content or material of any kind to this website, you grant Chameleon Forums a nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, and irrevocable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and display such content throughout the world in any media.
4.Members must show respect for others at all times. This is crucial to maintaining a friendly environment. There are no exceptions.

I am not sure why this thread was resurrected by the OP after a year of no activity. The only thing it has accomplished is reigniting hostilities over something long done. For that reason I am closing the thread because continuing is pointless. It is unfortunate that the chameleon got to the point that it did, but at least the owner recognized the problem and was willing to get her the help she needed. Not everyone will admit to doing something wrong and take responsibility for it. I hope others will learn from other's mistakes and I hope the cham is doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom