Freak accident exo terra

Johnny909

Hi,

I just wanted to point out a flaw in the exo terra vivariums, as I just lost a chameleon to this.

It's especially upsetting considering the fact I never lost an animal previously and I have been keeping reptiles since I'm a kid.

But this morning, a split second distraction of someone knocking at my door while cleaning, made me close the cage without double checking the sides. I know about this flaw and always double check, but this one time I didn't and that cost a little ones life.

We all work so hard to keep our little guys healthy and comfy from lightning to gutloading insects, that losing one this way is just so upsetting.

One of them managed to stick his head in the openings on the outside of the door, these cages leave a wide gap when open due to the hinges being an inch away from the side. So when I closed it, we'll, his neck was there, he didn't suffer, turned black instantly and passed.

I have come very attached to these little guys, they are my first babies and it really is different, they are in no way afraid of me. So disappointed....

I have attached two pictures to better explain the hinges.

Always, ALWAYS double check when working with these cages. It could be a tail, a leg, or worst.... And keep branches away from the windows.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405790449.384060.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405790464.018245.jpg

That is so very sad. I am so sorry that you had to go through that. I am also very sorry for the loss of your little one. :(

I'm so sorry that happened to you. Personally I wouldn't use exo terra for different reasons than that, but I think that you reminded a lot of people here of possible flaws in the equipment itself.

Again I'm terribly greatful and also terribly sorry for what you've had to go through, but it's let us all learn a lesson.

But this morning, a split second distraction of someone knocking at my door while cleaning, made me close the cage without double checking the sides.

That's very frustrating when distractions like that turn your world upside down. I'm a self employed machinist and have made a lot of scrap metal because of distractions in the middle of a job. Some of which cost me many hundreds of dollars in materials that I had to reorder. Still nothing compared to the loss of a little chameleon. Now I don't answer the phone or the door if I'm in the middle of something. Managed to piss off a couple of relatives that way....oh well.

Sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry. A few weeks ago I was feeding my whites tree frogs who live in a similar exo terra tank and one was between that gap when I was closing the door. Thankfully he was ok, but I was sure he was going to die. That gap is no joke. I am so paranoid every time I close it now.

Thats so awful, I'm so sorry! I use an exoterra for my anoles and have noticed that bad design flaw. Fortunately my anoles stay away from those cracks but I've worried about them.

Awe I am so sorry you had to lose your chameleon in this way. That is so sad. Even the doors on the screen cages you should always close with caution. You are busy looking where the door will close and hinge and you cannot take your eyes off the other side of the cage door either when closing. I learned a hard lesson when I got my first chameleon. His tail was in the crack of the door. He was sitting on a branch and I saw him, but did not see his tail and I closed the door right on him. He immediately started thrashing and I of course freaked out being a new keeper and all. I was lucky his tail was just bruised and healed up in no time with no permanent injury. Again, so sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing your story. Maybe your little one did not die in vain if it saves another life.

So sorry :( I used the same enclosure for the first few months raising my baby panther. I noticed that gap and always was afraid or mindful of it. I almost got his tail once, thats how I first came to realize just how dangerous it could be.
Very glad you posted so that others will keep it in mind. Again sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom