FR questions and temps

voodoochild863

Hello,
I have some experience with Veileds but have never had a Panther and was toying with an idea for an enclosure to house them in (just panthers not panthers and veileds) I have a porch where one wall is screen and the other three are the outside walls of the house and the roof of the porch is also the house's roof, not screen. Its about 14x10'. I have clear vinyl sliding doors that cover the screen. Last few winters this is where I would put my Veiled if it got too cold at night. I would just bring the whole cage in. I have a radiator heater that I use and I could keep temps above 60F even if it got down to 25F (very rare) outside.

So I am wondering if this would be an appropriate place to have a panther set up. I have no worries except for cold winter nights. I know they cant handle temps as low as veileds can. I was wanting to use the radiator heater along with ceramic heaters (I did not use ceramic heaters with the veiled just the radiator heater). Obviously I want to make sure I am able to maintain the appropriate enviroment before I put them out there. So what are the minimum night time temps they can safely handle?

panther and veiled care is esentially the same, they can handle the cooler night temps just like veields, so long as they have a place to go warm up at in the mornings,

oh Ok cool. I was speaking with some breeders at the Daytona show over the weekend and they made it sound like they were much more sensitive to cooler temps. That makes me feel much better.
Thanks!

They guy my friend bought his cham from apprently acted like 70F was the low. I figured they had to be able to atleast handle temps down to 65F.

Well, you dont want them to experience a low of 70F for long periods of time, and then have it suddenly drop down to 60-65F.

An extreme change could trigger illness.

If the ambient nite-time low gradually gets down to 60F, then thats fine in my opinion, provided (as stated) they have ample opportunity to warm up during the day.

I would also lower ambient daytime temps a bit, so they are not exposed to two different temperature extremes, on and off, everyday.

This would be looked at as providing "seasonal changes".

This is a good thing in my opinion, as long as the temps stay within an exceptable range.

I use 65F as the cut-off point for my panther.

Well, you dont want them to experience a low of 70F for long periods of time, and then have it suddenly drop down to 60-65F.

An extreme change could trigger illness.

If the ambient nite-time low gradually gets down to 60F, then thats fine in my opinion, provided (as stated) they have ample opportunity to warm up during the day.

I would also lower ambient daytime temps a bit, so they are not exposed to two different temperature extremes, on and off, everyday.

This would be looked at as providing "seasonal changes".

This is a good thing in my opinion, as long as the temps stay within an exceptable range.

I use 65F as the cut-off point for my panther.

OK so in the winter basking spots 80-85F? instead of 90-95? for example

I dont agree about panther and veileds being the same. In most of the areas they are, but temps are not. i kept my basking spot for my panther at 82-85. Anything over that (in my opinion) is to hot. Also, a few times my cage got down to 57 degrees, didn't seem to effect him, since he could warm up in the morning. However, i dont suggest letting it get that low. I kept a space heater in the room during winter and set it for 65 degrees for the ambient temp.

I dont agree about panther and veileds being the same. In most of the areas they are, but temps are not. i kept my basking spot for my panther at 82-85. Anything over that (in my opinion) is to hot. Also, a few times my cage got down to 57 degrees, didn't seem to effect him, since he could warm up in the morning. However, i dont suggest letting it get that low. I kept a space heater in the room during winter and set it for 65 degrees for the ambient temp.

i keep my chameleon at 90F basking temp and he's fine, its really all just opinion.

i keep my chams free range only, and my set up (the whole room) stays around 70-75 in the day (with basking sites at 83-87) with nightime drops as low as 65 max lowest otherwise the ceramic bulb kicks in..

snake knows whats up, good advice from him..try and keep it around 68-72 at night (still comfy to sleep in if you sleep in the same room too)

Back
Top Bottom