Found a baby snapping turtle in my small pond

@jamest0o0 heres a couple of pics of the pond, it’s 150g.
D054A7C3-4EBD-4287-B3F0-AE01035D9A35.jpeg
844F1F60-E681-4C64-802C-00F7FFD981FC.jpeg
DDA8B43D-392F-48CB-86F2-130E04BE7DB6.jpeg

That's so cool, what is the maintenance like with that? I've never had a pond, but always liked the idea.
It’s pretty easy man, my filter has a uv sterilizer built in so that helps with algae. I clean out the filter about twice a summer and that’s it. I don’t do water changes at all, I let the rain do that ?

It’s pretty easy man, my filter has a uv sterilizer built in so that helps with algae. I clean out the filter about twice a summer and that’s it. I don’t do water changes at all, I let the rain do that ?

Doesn't sound too bad! I live under trees so there are constantly leaves and maple seed pods everywhere. Might be a problem for a pound.

Btw just recently I was researching alligator snapping turtle care and dwarf caimans.... just for the fun of it... imagining a room sized pond in my garage lol. Alligator snappers may be one of the most badass looking monsters to walk our planet. They're pretty boring though from what people say, their job is to sit there.... I hear the regular snappers are really cool pets, but obviously take a huge space as well.

Btw just recently I was researching alligator snapping turtle care and dwarf caimans.... just for the fun of it... imagining a room sized pond in my garage lol. Alligator snappers may be one of the most badass looking monsters to walk our planet. They're pretty boring though from what people say, their job is to sit there.... I hear the regular snappers are really cool pets, but obviously take a huge space as well.
I have raised one before from hatching for about a year before he was to big. I had him in 125g cichlid tank, he grew super fast feeding on baby cichlids and bloodworm cubes. I let him go in the river.

Those frogs are super loud. Can you hear them inside your home??

When I was playing that video my husband came running in like, "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?" ? We live in the desert.

Lmao that's funny. All of us woods dwellers, especially with water near, live with wildlife sounds everywhere! If I recorded a video of my woods and the noises, you'd think I was in the Amazon somewhere lol.

Lmao that's funny. All of us woods dwellers, especially with water near, live with wildlife sounds everywhere! If I recorded a video of my woods and the noises, you'd think I was in the Amazon somewhere lol.
People around here say that is what MY HOUSE sounds like. Lol.

I mean, we can hear coyotes at night, and the occassional owl or a bat flapping its wings...but no wilderness/forest sounds.
Now, I have lived in Colorado too for a short time, and there were many more noises there! We had frogs, but I never noticed them when inside the house...also never had a pond up next to my house. Lol.

I used to pick up the toads and chase my sister with them. She hated that.

People around here say that is what MY HOUSE sounds like. Lol.

I mean, we can hear coyotes at night, and the occassional owl or a bat flapping its wings...but no wilderness/forest sounds.
Now, I have lived in Colorado too for a short time, and there were many more noises there! We had frogs, but I never noticed them when inside the house...also never had a pond up next to my house. Lol.

I used to pick up the toads and chase my sister with them. She hated that.
I used to chase you cousin with snakes! :)

Those frogs are super loud. Can you hear them inside your home??

When I was playing that video my husband came running in like, "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?" ? We live in the desert.
Yeah you can definitely hear them in the house ? Thankfully not in our bedroom though.

I used to have one, he died due to hurricane Irma, we could not get him evacuated in time. They are the absolute best turtles in my opinion, and very rewarding captives.

IMG_20170706_065538119.jpg
IMG_20170531_181904928.jpg
IMG_20170514_135721329.jpg
IMG_20170514_135808445.jpg
100_1410.jpg

IMG_20170514_134846786.jpg

RIP Buster 9/15/2008 - 8/30/2017

Snapping turtles are a commitment, if your not going to keep him his whole life, then do him a kindness and release him now. (They get habituated towards people very easily and become reliant on handouts.)

Otherwise you can keep him comfortably in a 300 gallon stock tank/Rubbermaid bin. They are omnivorous and appreciate veggies and meat. Along with a haul out area. Full spectrum lighting helps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom