Foster Prep Help - Female Veiled Post-laying Health Problems

PipZ15

Hello,

My wife and I volunteer with the local herp society and foster various lizards as we can. We were contacted about a veiled being surrendered and are making arrangements to pick her up. This is what we know about her condition from the family surrendering her:

"Recently laid eggs and we noticed shortly after that she appeared malnourished and had several ribs that appear to have broken at some point? She also developed a dark spot on the underside of her belly. Additional, her eyes looks sunken in, which we read may be caused by dehydration even though the animal is being misted by hand daily and has an automated mister."

We have been reading about veileds as we prepare to get a pet of our own, so we are familiar with the standard husbandry requirements.
My wife is a vet tech, and we have a family exotics vet we will be reaching out to. In the meantime any thoughts on what we could/should expect, or what might be going on would be helpful. Once we have her we can post pictures.

Hello,

My wife and I volunteer with the local herp society and foster various lizards as we can. We were contacted about a veiled being surrendered and are making arrangements to pick her up. This is what we know about her condition from the family surrendering her:

"Recently laid eggs and we noticed shortly after that she appeared malnourished and had several ribs that appear to have broken at some point? She also developed a dark spot on the underside of her belly. Additional, her eyes looks sunken in, which we read may be caused by dehydration even though the animal is being misted by hand daily and has an automated mister."

We have been reading about veileds as we prepare to get a pet of our own, so we are familiar with the standard husbandry requirements.
My wife is a vet tech, and we have a family exotics vet we will be reaching out to. In the meantime any thoughts on what we could/should expect, or what might be going on would be helpful. Once we have her we can post pictures.
Do you know what the setup is like or are you going to providing a lot of new stuff? Once you know what you are actually getting, folks can help out with any husbandry issues or on specific issues.

Sounds good to have a 'tame' vet on tap though.

Update!

Here are a few pictures. Her color does not seem to be alarming and she weighed in at 54 grams. The enclosure is about a meter tall and has plenty of vines. She has a mister, uvb lamp, basking lamp and ceramic bulb.

Nothing appears to be too emediatly concerning but the bit of black skin on her belly. It looks a bit like a scab, just some black dermis. She also appears to have some lumps on her side. Finally here right back foot looks swollen. Not to sure of that might be a sign of gout. We also only found calcium with D3 in the items surendered, this could mean suto-gout.

The main issue appears to be hydration st this point. What are we not seeing? Any advice would be great. We will prolly get her to the vet on Saturday.

Attachments

• E6A24D68-279E-4C67-BE51-B95D293AF7FE.jpeg
    E6A24D68-279E-4C67-BE51-B95D293AF7FE.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 89
  • C258DA79-28BA-4F43-A009-CC4D18D6CE99.jpeg
    C258DA79-28BA-4F43-A009-CC4D18D6CE99.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 4910F206-B6B5-4F86-9536-98A75725A936.jpeg
    4910F206-B6B5-4F86-9536-98A75725A936.jpeg
    360.9 KB · Views: 88
  • FCC99CE1-1B98-459C-87B5-95D0B3302921.jpeg
    FCC99CE1-1B98-459C-87B5-95D0B3302921.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Casque and ribs show signs of MBD. I would replace the UVB bulb with a new linear T5HO or T8. What other supplements has she been given? Female veileds usually are wek after laying a clutch of eggs and need to be hydrated well and fed for them to regain strength and regain the nutrients lost to the egg development.

The two photos of her on the towel do not look promising... If you know a vet with chameleon experience I would get some input from them. Best of luck

Graves923,

Thanks for the thoughts. She has good lighting. The ribs looks more like bumps, than bends. We are also fostering a leopard gecko that does have MBD. This looks different, and he started to show signs of improvement after about 36hrs.

We have had her for about three days now and haven’t seen her eat. I think she is drinking. She just opens her mouth almost reflexively but I don’t always see water enter.

Seeing our exhotics vet Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom