For those that have lost chameleons

Cameron B

Established Member
Howdy, all. Just thought I would share this....

Back on June 24th I had let out one of my gravid female carpets for some sun on a free range area in the backyard. It is plenty away from other trees of any kind, however, she managed to escape. I couldn't find here for a long period of time, and wrote her off pretty much. Carpets are small chameleons, and she was no exception. I was sure it had to be a bird, though, she may have left to dig and lay eggs...she was almost due for that! After days of searching, I decided to fly down to San Diego and pick up a CB female to replace my lost cham.

Well, today, three months later, my neighbor three doors down came knocking on my door asking if the lizard in her hand was mine. Sure enough, it was my female carpet! She had been digging in the ground it appeared, and the neighbor actually found her in the cat's mouth...though, she appears unharmed by the cat, and definitely had her mix of insects on her little three month adventure. She has signs of some battle wounds (not sure what got to her), though very minimal and nothing of major concern. She's eating heavily, and very active, and appears hydrated for the most part, which I'm quite baffled by. At the time I lost her the weather was around 110+ in the daytime, with no humidity around here as it's very dry.

So to those that have lost them...keep your hopes up! Even the smallest of chams can pop their faces again in the most odd ball places!

wow, 3 doors down??? do you all have humongous trees that touch? or did she have to do some ground travel?? chams look funny walking on flat ground... around here a hawk or something prob would hav gotten mine. i dont let mine out of my sight being outside, i dono what i would do if i saw a huge hawk swoop down.

thats awesome glad to hear you found her.... crazy luck

So....there could be a clutch of lat lats hatching in your neighborhood next year? :D Congrats on finding her, that's a great story. If only she could tell you what she's been up too for the last 3 months, eh? I'm still holding out hope that the female veiled I lost a couple months ago will turn up too.

Yep, I hope I can find my cham before winter comes around. Hopefully, when the leaves fall out of the tree, it will be easier.

I have lost two in the past 2 years by free ranging outside.
Last sunday I had a w.c. Ankaramy out on a 4 foot tall ficus while I was cleaning cages. I forgot to check on him and he was gone! He made it to the treeline and after a 2.5 hour search I gave up.
Its hard to believe a pink lizard would be hard to find!
Then I got the idea of setting out some cages of females in the woods.
I set out 3 cages about 75 yards apart, 2 hours later there he was!! hanging on the side of the cage head bobbing.

Last sunday I had a w.c. Ankaramy out on a 4 foot tall ficus while I was cleaning cages. I forgot to check on him and he was gone! He made it to the treeline and after a 2.5 hour search I gave up.
I set out 3 cages about 75 yards apart, 2 hours later there he was!! hanging on the side of the cage head bobbing.

Now thats how you get a guys attention! Honestly that was a great idea.

You're brilliant! What better bait then some hot babes!

Cameron, that's nothing short of amazing that you were able to get her back after a 3 month wilderness adventure! You're lucky to have hot weather there, up here in Canada I don't think a cham would last even a night with the temp drops!

I agree, that was absolutely BRILLIANT. No matter if you have skin, scales, feathers or fur.... a male is a male is a male. ;)

HAHAHA thats awesome! never heard that one before... I would NEVER leave any of my chameleons free range unless I'm busy taking pictures of them. I don't trsut anybody watching over them but my mom. lol.

Bud, she had quite a trek over there, that's for sure.

Hawks and all that really aren't a concern in the area I live. No birds really are, but I just couldn't fathom such a small cham getting up the bricks, into the bushed, up a massive tree and over the fence, so I wrote her off to the birds anyway....boy did she ever prove me wrong!

Back
Top Bottom