For a good cause

Pure

As most of you know I have a whole lot of free time on my hands. If I wanted to visit schools to do educational talks to kids about reptiles. How would I go about this? I know some of you do it. Did you contact the local school board or go directly to the Principle of a school?

Thanks

Go straight to the school .. or call more preferably and speak with the AP or Principal directly. Many schools these days are site based managed and make their own decisions when it comes to events and such.

Dan

Also you could try your county's cooperative extension service. I'm not sure about Florida, but in NC just about every county has one and they deal with various agricultural community endeavors. My girlfriend works for ours here and the 4-H coordinator asked me to give talks to the 4-H summer camp about reptiles.

Considerations: You MIGHT have to have liability insurance - just in case any minute tiny thing should happen, someone doesn't try to sue you or you being accused of endangering the public. Not saying that it would happen but it pays to protect yourself and your critters.

:cool:

An individual teacher may also be an "in". My boss does a series of (scientific) presentations every year to a local fourth grade class; her daughter was in that classroom when she started doing the presentations, and they keep inviting her back. (The liability insurance is something to keep in the back of your mind; my boss is doing this as part of the education and outreach duties of a professor at a state university, and it is thus in her job description and covered by work should anything go wrong.)

Insurance...Indeed, I hadn't thought about that. Maybe not such a good idea after all. No way in hell am I paying for insurance. That would take away from my cham budget! I just was thinking I would like to do something with all this time. Other than play on here all day. :p

I will still give it a go, but only if the school can offer some sort of protection against lawsuits. I would never bring anything dangerous but like y'all said, better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the tips!

Back
Top Bottom