Food

Hamza2006

I've been having trouble catching bugs for Harab.
At the pet store I saw something called Aquafin Turtle Food.
Can she eat it?
Here's a pic and some info:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I would say no. I have never heard of a keeper using pellets to feed a chameleon.

This is the forums suggested food for a chameleon:

And gutload:

supplments will be important too -- but that is more dependent on where you are keeping your chameleon (indoors or outdoors)

Last edited:
Husbandry?
Husbandry refers to how you keep and care for the animal. The environment you create around them. I will provide a form to fill out that gives us details. That form is a bit long -- but the things asked in that form make up the husbandry of the animal.

If you could fill this out -- that way forum members can give feedback on the husbandry.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

If you could fill this out -- that way forum members can give feedback on the husbandry.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:
Well... I'm just a fresh-beginner so I might have unusual answers.

Not a problem, most new keepers do. That's why they ask for the form to be filled out so experienced keepers can help steer you in the right direction and address any issues (such as food), to help you keep and care for a healthy chameleon.
Where exactly do I fill the for?
Is there a page for it?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Trioceros hoehnelii, Female, Unknown Age, Owned since 7-8-2019.
Handling - Only when it's time to bask.
Feeding - I feed her where I can't see her. Sometime she picks off an ant or two.
Supplements - None actually.
Watering - I spray her leaves 5 times a day and she drinks immediately she sees the water.
Fecal Description - Usually dark brown and spherical.
History - She was originally used at a park and would have been snake food if I didn't buy her. She gets excited when taken out to bask.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Let me be honest... I don't use a cage. Just a plant.
Lighting - I'm not sure actually.
Temperature - She's usually warm and she basks around 20-30 minutes a day.
Humidity - I don't really know.
Plants - I'm not sure what plant she lives in. Here is a picture.
image.jpeg

Placement - Just in the corner of the room.
Location - Nairobi, Kenya

Current Problem - She ignores half the food I give her.

Thanks so much for filling out that form. I don't have any experience with any Triceros -- but I do have a couple of things I think would be beneficial for you and your chameleon.

Not having an enclosure is fine -- some people free-range their chameleons -- as long as you have the other thing set up for them. Your chameleon will need a UVB light if you do not intend to keep them outside. In your region -- you really could. If you do want to free-range your chameleon indoors, I suggest finding other keepers who have free ranged indoors. This podcast episode has some interesting tidbits: https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-109-mellers-chameleons-part-2/

Part of the reason your chameleon may not be eating is that it is scared. That plant it is on is small and does not provide your chameleon with many hiding places. It also very easily could climb down and walk away when you are not looking and looks pretty low to the ground. Most species of chameleons are tree-dwelling -- so she might be more comfortable with her space being a little higher.

If you are keeping your chameleon inside, I still think it would need supplements. That would be something to discuss with somebody who has kept that species before. If you are keeping your chameleon outside, it's supplement requirements will change.

When you say she was "used" at a park -- could you give details on that? Did she belong to someone or did you find her in a park?

I would suggest getting a screen cage for her and researching on keeping her outside. This is about all I feel I can help with given my limited knowledge. I am hoping some other, more experienced keepers some with additional and/or more accurate advice.

You do have some different situations to deal with where you are. She doesn't absolutely need a cage but if you had a bird cage it would make a fine cage for her and you could use it to take her outside for sunlight daily if you can not get UVB lights for indoors. If a bird cage is not available a hanging plant might make a better home for her. It would look more like this.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...e-chameleon-condos-with-drainage-pans.146593/
Anything that gets her off the ground and up higher is better.
You can put her insects in a deep plastic cup attached to plant pot. Many people buy or breed insects to feed their chameleons but if that isn't available you can make a light trap. Like this to use a night to catch bugs. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/help-please.164551/post-1422593 she will eat more when she feels more secure.
Her bugs should be dusted with calcium to help her bones. Pet stores may carry calcium powder. If they don't in your area you can grind up calcium carbonate tablets from the pharmacy and dust with those if necessary. There are other vitamins she will need but that is a good place to start.
How are you giving her water. She will need to be gently sprayed with water 2 to 5 times a day or you can drip water on to the leaves of the plant she is on with a water bottle with a tiny hole in the bottom. It should drip very slowly for a long time.
There is more but this is the most important right now.
If you have any questions please ask.

Last edited:
Ants contain formic acid....I wouldn't use them to feed her.

If you're feeding the chameleon only wild caught insects then you should have less worry about supplements but the chameleon still needs some UVB light daily either from exposure to a UVB bulb...preferably a reptisun 5.0 long linear tube or direct sunlight that does not pass through plastic or glass.

Is there air conditioning in your house? If so she will likely need a basking light too. It can be a regular incandescent household bulb and you need to make sure she can't touch any of the lights.

I hope this helps.

Thanks so much for filling out that form. I don't have any experience with any Triceros -- but I do have a couple of things I think would be beneficial for you and your chameleon.

Not having an enclosure is fine -- some people free-range their chameleons -- as long as you have the other thing set up for them. Your chameleon will need a UVB light if you do not intend to keep them outside. In your region -- you really could. If you do want to free-range your chameleon indoors, I suggest finding other keepers who have free ranged indoors. This podcast episode has some interesting tidbits: https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-109-mellers-chameleons-part-2/

Part of the reason your chameleon may not be eating is that it is scared. That plant it is on is small and does not provide your chameleon with many hiding places. It also very easily could climb down and walk away when you are not looking and looks pretty low to the ground. Most species of chameleons are tree-dwelling -- so she might be more comfortable with her space being a little higher.

If you are keeping your chameleon inside, I still think it would need supplements. That would be something to discuss with somebody who has kept that species before. If you are keeping your chameleon outside, it's supplement requirements will change.

When you say she was "used" at a park -- could you give details on that? Did she belong to someone or did you find her in a park?

I would suggest getting a screen cage for her and researching on keeping her outside. This is about all I feel I can help with given my limited knowledge. I am hoping some other, more experienced keepers some with additional and/or more accurate advice.
Wow... I better get to business.
I don't feed her in the plant... I take her outside so she can hunt.

"The T Rex doesn't want to be fed. She wants to hunt." -Dr. Alan Grant.

At the park I got her, they fed chameleons (and chickens) to the park's snakes.
The chameleons live in a huge enclosure there and when the snakes get hungry... Yikes!
So I technically saved her from a pair of fangs by buying her from the park.
She ate flies there.
My house is in an apartment and I usually go outside with her so she basks in direct sunlight.

I took her outside right now and put a fly next to her but she just walked past it.
But sometimes when I take her down she snaps her jaws in the air as if she caught something.
Is that normal?

Last edited:
Were you able to make the husbandry changes suggested to you? I would get her to a vet if possible.

Back
Top Bottom