foggers / misting system

aspenchameleon

I have a 1 yr old ambilobe panther. I live in a very cold very dry place. Does anyone out there use a fogger / built in mister for thier chameleon. Do you recommend using these products?

I do recommend the automatic misting systems. I use the mistking and I am very happy with it. Specially because I can come to work knowing my chams will have enought water to drink and to have a good humidity level. However, I like to mist manually at least 1 a day, specially the walls of the cage, since these trap more water drops than leaves and I've seen my chams like it.

My customers say they save you a lot of time, trouble, and worry. I agree. Even with just one chameleon, the humidity is one less thing to worry about!

I started with one cham and got tired of hand misting real quick.(call me lazy) So I went and bought a herpmist and found out that this was my best investment made so far. I now have 2 chams and no worries at all. All I have to do is worry about keeping the resevoir full. Even if it runs dry it does not hurt the pump and the pump does not lose its prime. I have had it for over a year and have had no problems what so ever.:D

I run a misting system over my guys twice a day at 1 hour intervals and then 4 other times a day at 3 minute intervals (to keep humidity up).

One thing I can say from experience is that my chams can just sit underneath the misting nossles and not drink. When I bring out the manual mister (one of those 1 gallon manual compression pump jobbers) and mist for a few minutes they get started and the misting system finishes them off.

I have had the chams actively seek out water from the misting system, but I would strongly recommend that if you get a misting system dont put blind faith in it. If you dont notice them drinking, use the manual sprayer to get them started and watch if they follow the water (and keep an eye on urates white = good )

besides misting I offer water to my cham from a bottle (just letting it dribble in front of her face, down over the leaves she's standing on) twice a day. Sometimes she's not thirsty and crawls away from it, other times she gets up on her two hind legs, grabs the bottle, opens her mouth and lets the water flow directly into it.

a little unconventional but she can take in as much water as she wants like that so it really keeps her hydrated.

I am setting up my misting system today and wonder if I need to worry about runoff. Do you catch the runoff somehow? Is the mist such that I don't need to worry about having water get all over the floor of the room where they are kept? I have horror images of having to mop up a mess made by all of the water. I will have the system on a timer. Please share your experiences with this.

Allen

Fogger

I am setting up my first viv for pygmy brevs, and was wondering if a fogger would be ok in addition to an automatic misting system? Any of you advanced folks have any ideas on that? I was thinking that if I put the fogger in a ceramic bowl, and cover it with a screen, that would do the trick. Then hide it behind moss and plants. But, I'm not sure if it would really do more than add a cool, unnecessary effect LOL. Thanks in advance for any ideas on the subject!

I am setting up my misting system today and wonder if I need to worry about runoff. Do you catch the runoff somehow? Is the mist such that I don't need to worry about having water get all over the floor of the room where they are kept? I have horror images of having to mop up a mess made by all of the water. I will have the system on a timer. Please share your experiences with this.

Allen

Depends how long and how often you run it.
But probably yes you will have to have a drainage method for dealing with runoff.

I am setting up my first viv for pygmy brevs, and was wondering if a fogger would be ok in addition to an automatic misting system? Any of you advanced folks have any ideas on that? I was thinking that if I put the fogger in a ceramic bowl, and cover it with a screen, that would do the trick. Then hide it behind moss and plants. But, I'm not sure if it would really do more than add a cool, unnecessary effect LOL. Thanks in advance for any ideas on the subject!

I dont use either myself, but I see no reason not to use a mister
but no reason to use a fogger

how do you warm the water? all the care sheets say to mist with warm water.

To use warm water in a misting system, you can use an inline heating unit. I don't know all the details, but you should ask Jason at HerpMist or Marty at MistKing about it and they should be able to tell you how to do it. Summoner12 has one and does a lot of his misting systems himself and might be a good resource as well.

Sorry I can't be of more help! I haven't gotten an automated misting system yet, unfortunately. :)

Foggers are a waste of money. They won't last and can actually lead to pneumonia from the animal inhaling the water droplets.

To use warm water in a misting system, you can use an inline heating unit. I don't know all the details, but you should ask Jason at HerpMist or Marty at MistKing about it and they should be able to tell you how to do it. Summoner12 has one and does a lot of his misting systems himself and might be a good resource as well.

Sorry I can't be of more help! I haven't gotten an automated misting system yet, unfortunately. :)

Here is a good thread about inline heating. This is what I use and three other members. Oh and Herpmist Rocks!!!!!!! I have three systems.

Jason is a grat person to deal with... A+++

https://www.chameleonforums.com/question-misting-system-owners-13992/index2.html

I have some heating ideas bounced around with Dave Weldon. The issue is keeping the water warm enough all the way to the nozzle.:rolleyes:

I have some heating ideas bounced around with Dave Weldon. The issue is keeping the water warm enough all the way to the nozzle.:rolleyes:

Warmer or non shockingly cold water is what I strive for with the mister and inline heater. You can feel a difference than running it without.

It is not a warm mist by any means just not as much of a shock to a warmed up Chameleon.

I don't bother with the heater for the Jacksons or the Carpets. They seem to be more tolerant of the colder water. I would assume is room temp or 70-72 or so.

I run my bathtub water as hot as I can get it, Then I fill up a 5 gal water Jug, and take it to the misting Reservoir and pour it in. Seems to keep it at a decent temp until the res runs out by end of the day.

I use supplies from toro...1/4 inch tubing and misting nozzles hooked right up to my laundry tub with a lawn sprinkler timer controling it all. I only use water from the hot tap..with the fine mist its just warm when it hits them. Fot the most part they enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom