Foggers, a Tool or a Danger?

I won’t get in the technical aspects of this thread but it has been a good read so far with everyone’s point of views. I’ve also read the article about the dangers of Foggers from madcham before I started this regime. Very good informative site and I recommend everyone to read some of their articles.

My current setup I use a regular 40$ ultrasonic humidifier that runs for around 6 hours every night. Each day i dump the reservoir, water basin and wash out the tubes with just regular water and let air dry with a fan. That’s key imo that this needs done DAILY. Not 2 days not 3 days but DAILY. Then I Do a deep clean with regular white vinegar each week for the whole system. My piping is regular white 1 inch pvc modified to fit the humidifier. I use distilled water in this system. I Been doing this for almost a year now and Haven’t had a single RI or bacterial infection and my pipes and basin have never had any slime what so ever. Maybe I’m just lucky idk.. The key to this imo opinion is that daily cleaning I talked about above. It might be a little harder for someone too accomplish this if you have 20 cages and 50 feet of pipes to clean but for the average keeper with a couple chameleons it’s doable. Now I’m not saying this regime kills every single bacteria in my humidifier but the point is if your seeing slime and what not in your humidifiers it’s definitely a sign of not cleaning enough.

if you say so, this is where i'll just allow your belief and i'll have mine.

but fog absolutely collects... Dewdrops...

and no I did not state no other source of water. don't make assumptions cause I said they hydrate from it.

so you've observed them long enough in the wild to completely disprove the beliefs in night hydration and what happens. that the fog particles are breathed in and absorbed, ive heard theories it builds up and is swallowed. witnessed what im pretty sure is this very action taking place on cameras of mine. but ok.
who said it had to be blasted at them. where is this written. so millions of water particles around but somehow they magically stay away from the nostrils that could breathe them in. ill give you the win and bow out rather than continue.

cause i frankly dont care enough, like i said in Bill's post im not trying to convince anyone, anyone who thinks i am can pound sand. heh

dueces,
ill bow out at this point.

Calm down killer. No one is attacking you, did you miss all the question marks?

I was asking questions. I did not fully understand what you were trying to say.

I have not heard the theory, that it builds up and is then drunk, as you described. That is a new one on me. I was under the impression that Petrs theory, was from inhaling the fog, in which case humidity would do the same thing.

Humidity will also cause the "Dew" on the leaves. Fog is simply an effect of the few point matching the tempature.

Have you much experience with real fog in nature? I do, we get it all the time, it's not even near as thick as the stuff that "fogger" puts out. That said, I don't live in a Rainforest, so could be different.

Ambilobe, Ambajana ect, where alot of panther species are found, also do not possess this fog, every night or even often, that the real Eastern humid forests do. So there is a species division to be seen here.

I do not have the "Field Hours" to know that. However being as they are a team of people, half of which reside in Madgascar full time, a couple are natives, I would say Madcham do and their statement on it was this, (might have already posted this, but just in case)

Screenshot_20200217-190258.png

https://www.madcham.de/en/nebel-und-nebler/

So they said, it's possible, but they haven't seen it. You have, so it likely can and does happen. However it doesn't seem to be a very common occurrence?

I won’t get in the technical aspects of this thread but it has been a good read so far with everyone’s point of views. I’ve also read the article about the dangers of Foggers from madcham before I started this regime. Very good informative site and I recommend everyone to read some of their articles.

My current setup I use a regular 40$ ultrasonic humidifier that runs for around 6 hours every night. Each day i dump the reservoir, water basin and wash out the tubes with just regular water and let air dry with a fan. That’s key imo that this needs done DAILY. Not 2 days not 3 days but DAILY. Then I Do a deep clean with regular white vinegar each week for the whole system. My piping is regular white 1 inch pvc modified to fit the humidifier. I use distilled water in this system. I Been doing this for almost a year now and Haven’t had a single RI or bacterial infection and my pipes and basin have never had any slime what so ever. Maybe I’m just lucky idk.. The key to this imo opinion is that daily cleaning I talked about above. It might be a little harder for someone too accomplish this if you have 20 cages and 50 feet of pipes to clean but for the average keeper with a couple chameleons it’s doable. Now I’m not saying this regime kills every single bacteria in my humidifier but the point is if your seeing slime and what not in your humidifiers it’s definitely a sign of not cleaning enough.

Hmm. Well distilled would technically have nothing for the algae/bacteria to eat and multiply with. Hmm i wonder if you can even get slime with distilled?

100%.

Cleaning it everyday, should be issue free. Even just a drain and dump and a weekly deep clean. Which is what that seller whos page I posted above stated, about the same cleaning regime, but they used bleach.

The issue is, your right back to Waterfalls. This is the same exact reason that we DO NOT recommend waterfalls, they require daily cleaning and their benefits do not out weight the risk and work required.

If an advanced keeper, thought it cool to have a waterfall, enjoyed the raised humidity from it, knew the risks, knew it required daily cleaning and was okay with all that, I would say more power to them. I have thought about doing it before as well, but in the end its too much hassle.

However to a new keeper, who is not fully aware of the risks, is not going to clean it properly, it will only bring issues and it isnt worth it. Same Applies here IMO.

I guess I’m still stuck on the question of: is night hydration from fog a significant enough source of hydration to warrant changing up things this much? Even in situations where it has been observed as Taylor said in a few swallows of condensation at night, is it enough to warrant this big of a push when we see them drink in much larger quantities during the day? Setting aside the hygiene part of misters and foggers, how much of a role can condensation from fog truly play in overall health? A sip or two of water at night is enough to rethink everything? Maybe it is. Maybe there’s no harm in offering it and possibly benefits we’re just not fully aware of yet. Just logically I can’t get there off the info we have.

I haven’t gone through all of Bill Strand’s stuff to be honest. I’ve been meaning to for a while. Has he seen increased longevity or other measurable benefits?

Last edited:
I guess I’m still stuck on the question of: is night hydration from fog a significant enough source of hydration to warrant changing up things this much? Even in situations where it has been observed as Taylor said in a few swallows of condensation at night enough to warrant this big of a push when we see them drink in decent quantities during the day? Setting aside the hygiene part of misters and foggers, how much of a role can condensation from fog truly play in overall health? A sip or two of water at night is enough to rethink everything? Maybe it is. Maybe there’s no harm in offering it and possibly benefits we’re just not fully aware of yet. Just logically I can’t get there off the info we have.

I haven’t gone through all of Bill Strand’s stuff to be honest. Has he seen increased longevity or other measurable benefits?

Not that I have seen.

Kind of was what I was trying to touch on with the waterfall. I feel this is very similar, could there be gain yes, is it worth the work it requires, or the money? I am not so sure.

100%.

Cleaning it everyday, should be issue free. Even just a drain and dump and a weekly deep clean. Which is what that seller whos page I posted above stated, about the same cleaning regime, but they used bleach.

The issue is, your right back to Waterfalls. This is the same exact reason that we DO NOT recommend waterfalls, they require daily cleaning and their benefits do not out weight the risk and work required.

If an advanced keeper, thought it cool to have a waterfall, enjoyed the raised humidity from it, knew the risks, knew it required daily cleaning and was okay with all that, I would say more power to them. I have thought about doing it before as well, but in the end its too much hassle.

However to a new keeper, who is not fully aware of the risks, is not going to clean it properly, it will only bring issues and it isnt worth it. Same Applies here IMO.
I definitely agree. Especially for the average joe that’s just getting into learning about chameleon husbandry. It is a lot of work to clean it everyday I won’t deny that! The risks could outweigh the benefits if you stray away from a good cleaning routine.

So far in my experience I really like the benefits of using a “Fogger” for hydration. I had a week where my humidifier broke and had to order a new one. During that time I noticed my chameleon lapping leaves for water in the mornings. I Started up the fogging routine again and this behavior stopped. This isn’t a huge observation so take it with a grain of salt but I do believe there is something Going on with the Fogger and hydration of our chameleons.

Nothing is set in stone on how to care for an animal there is risks and benefits for everything imo. Everyone can tell you this is the way to do it but there’s always going to be somebody else that does it completely different and is just as successful. I do feel though if your just getting into keeping a chameleon I’d err on the side of doing it simple and use caution with anything new that you might not be sure of. My best advice for any chameleon keeper From advanced or beginner is to never let yourself stop learning. That’s the KEY. This thread is a perfect example and a reason why I love this forum!

I definitely agree. Especially for the average joe that’s just getting into learning about chameleon husbandry. It is a lot of work to clean it everyday I won’t deny that! The risks could outweigh the benefits if you stray away from a good cleaning routine.

So far in my experience I really like the benefits of using a “Fogger” for hydration. I had a week where my humidifier broke and had to order a new one. During that time I noticed my chameleon lapping leaves for water in the mornings. I Started up the fogging routine again and this behavior stopped. This isn’t a huge observation so take it with a grain of salt but I do believe there is something Going on with the Fogger and hydration of our chameleons.

Nothing is set in stone on how to care for an animal there is risks and benefits for everything imo. Everyone can tell you this is the way to do it but there’s always going to be somebody else that does it completely different and is just as successful. I do feel though if your just getting into keeping a chameleon I’d err on the side of doing it simple and use caution with anything new that you might not be sure of. My best advice for any chameleon keeper From advanced or beginner is to never let yourself stop learning. That’s the KEY. This thread is a perfect example and a reason why I love this forum!

Have you stopped misting, and or dripping during the day? Is the fogger your only hydration source? JC?

No drinking behavior at other times of the day?

Have you stopped misting, and or dripping during the day? Is the fogger your only hydration source? JC?

No drinking behavior at other times of the day?
For reference This is all done in a screen dragonstrand with 3 sides wrapped sometimes even all 4 with the bottom vent open for chimney effect and is non bioactive. It is heavily planted though with all live plants. I plan on either transferring to glass bioactive or a dragonstrand clearside bioactive this upcoming summer. Just seems like it would be a lot more beneficial from what I’ve read and I’m sure you would agree haha. ANYWAY the schedule... 2 min mist 15 mins before lights come on to create the dew effect. 5 minute shower Monday,Wednesday and Thursday around midday. 3 minute mist 1 hour before lights go off. Fogger comes on in the middle of the night for 6 hours. Then back to the beginning. Dripper is used throughout the day. I do not seem him physically drink on this schedule but he will go under the mister from time to time during his showers. Other times he just hides in the foliage from it. He does lap his lips from time to time when the misters go off and I do consider this drinking behavior but I never see him physically drinking off leaves and such. Urates are white with a tinge of orange.

Now without the Fogger I upped the misting A good bit. A lot actually. It’s been awhile but I’ll try to remember the schedule as best as I can. Started with a 10 min mist 15 minutes before lights on. Then 10 min mist midday Followed by a 10 min mist 1 hour before lights shut off. Also during the middle of the night I gave a 10 min mist! Dripper was included. As you can tell I was misting a lot more! Under this schedule I was seeing physical drinking during the day mostly in the mornings as he was coming up to bask. The biggest change I saw under this routine was the Urates. They were starting to get more and more orange as this schedule went on. Not dehydrated orange but definitely a noticeable difference between the Fogger Urates.

For reference This is all done in a screen dragonstrand with 3 sides wrapped sometimes even all 4 with the bottom vent open for chimney effect and is non bioactive. It is heavily planted though with all live plants. I plan on either transferring to glass bioactive or a dragonstrand clearside bioactive this upcoming summer. Just seems like it would be a lot more beneficial from what I’ve read and I’m sure you would agree haha. ANYWAY the schedule... 2 min mist 15 mins before lights come on to create the dew effect. 5 minute shower Monday,Wednesday and Thursday around midday. 3 minute mist 1 hour before lights go off. Fogger comes on in the middle of the night for 6 hours. Then back to the beginning. Dripper is used throughout the day. I do not seem him physically drink on this schedule but he will go under the mister from time to time during his showers. Other times he just hides in the foliage from it. He does lap his lips from time to time when the misters go off and I do consider this drinking behavior but I never see him physically drinking off leaves and such. Urates are white with a tinge of orange.

Now without the Fogger I upped the misting A good bit. A lot actually. It’s been awhile but I’ll try to remember the schedule as best as I can. Started with a 10 min mist 15 minutes before lights on. Then 10 min mist midday Followed by a 10 min mist 1 hour before lights shut off. Also during the middle of the night I gave a 10 min mist! Dripper was included. As you can tell I was misting a lot more! Under this schedule I was seeing physical drinking during the day mostly in the mornings as he was coming up to bask. The biggest change I saw under this routine was the Urates. They were starting to get more and more orange as this schedule went on. Not dehydrated orange but definitely a noticeable difference between the Fogger Urates.

I do not know for sure, but.

I think alot of that MAY come down to nighttime humidity more than Fogging?

As I stated, I do not use a fogger, do have high nighttime humidity, my Panther does not lick his leaves in the morning most of the time.

He does however, at times drink from the misters, as you described. I have seen him lick his leaves, once or twice, but they have been few and far between. Another behavior I have seen, that I am thinking may be a attempt at drinking, as some others have told me they have seen the same. Sometimes, and its usually after the noon mists that he doesn't "Drink" he will shoot his tongue at the leaves, a couple of times.

At first I thought he was shooting ants or something, as he has a few ants in the viv pretty much everyday, that I can not seem to get rid of. Its usually on a couple, so I just leave them be, as he seems to snack on them from time to time. (He doesn't shoot them, he walks up and licks them up) they are the small sugar ants, so maybe they taste good, idk?

Anyway, I have caught him a few times shoot at large drops of water on the glass, thats when I realized, he isnt shooting at ants, he is shooting at water. I have only seen this happen, midday though like I said.

I do not know for sure, but.

I think alot of that MAY come down to nighttime humidity more than Fogging?

As I stated, I do not use a fogger, do have high nighttime humidity, my Panther does not lick his leaves in the morning most of the time.

He does however, at times drink from the misters, as you described. I have seen him lick his leaves, once or twice, but they have been few and far between. Another behavior I have seen, that I am thinking may be a attempt at drinking, as some others have told me they have seen the same. Sometimes, and its usually after the noon mists that he doesn't "Drink" he will shoot his tongue at the leaves, a couple of times.

At first I thought he was shooting ants or something, as he has a few ants in the viv pretty much everyday, that I can not seem to get rid of. Its usually on a couple, so I just leave them be, as he seems to snack on them from time to time. (He doesn't shoot them, he walks up and licks them up) they are the small sugar ants, so maybe they taste good, idk?

Anyway, I have caught him a few times shoot at large drops of water on the glass, thats when I realized, he isnt shooting at ants, he is shooting at water. I have only seen this happen, midday though like I said.
The Fogger increased the humidity at night and in turn reduced The need for water consumption during the day. So that means imo whether it be a through a Fogger or a bioactive heavily planted enclosure we as chameleon keepers definitely need to focus on that high humidity at night as you said.

I too have witnessed the tongue shooting at water droplets this was only observed during when he was a baby around 3 to 6 months then out of the blue he just stopped doing it? Maybe it’s just a characteristic feature and some chameleons do it and some don’t? Maybe I’ll see him start shooting droplets again later on down the road? Many many mystery’s with these creatures and they always keep you guessing haha!

I can only report my observations from the chams I've kept, but back in the days when there were no "pre-fab" terrarium foggers available I experimented with a pretty simple 2 gallon room ultrasonic with auxiliary fan. It was sheer necessity, living at 9000 ft elevation in the Rockies. I had 3 free ranging rescue T. melleri as well as a F. verrucosus and two T. deremensis in big modified screen cages. The room contained big potted Ficus trees, overgrown Schefflera, a couple of HIbiscus, and a few fakes to add structure. I had one of the original RainMaker misting systems with about 3 nozzles. Still couldn't counteract the bone dry air so I added the humidifier. One 2" diameter vertical PVC pipe retrofitted into the fog spout to get the fog higher into the room. Cycled it on and off about 4 times in 24 hours in between misting cycles. I used RO filtered water in everything and cleaned the unit at most once a week. The room setup operated for about 3 years. None of the chams could get very close to the fog so I didn't worry about ingestion or aspiration.

All technical treatises aside, something worked well enough that when I moved the deremensis cage (screen sided but had added shower curtains attached to the outside) to the second bedroom I drilled a hole through the wall, extended one line of the RainMaker Jr to reach this cage, and also set up a second ultrasonic humidifier to fog it as well. Never had any RIs in any of these chams. Years later when I moved north (the chams I had went to other keepers who weren't facing a 2 week plus agency bunkhouse living move to AK) and got a juvenile B. fischeri once again I used an ultrasonic room unit, RO water, PVC pipe "stack" to fog a 4'x5'x3' cage. Again, no RIs. When the little open dish type terrarium foggers arrived I tried one a couple of times, but that open water source just seemed like trouble waiting to happen. The reservoir on the room units stays sealed from outside air unless it was being filled. Not much to contaminate the RO water until the extruded fog leaves the PVC pipe.

Maybe the sheer volume of water running through these systems every day helped prevent sludge and bacteria build up. Maybe the house air was so dry and the evaporation rate so fast nothing had time to sit and breed bacteria. Maybe the RO filtered water made the difference. Maybe the whole systems were "leaky" enough to prevent water finding any place to sit long enough to stagnate. I don't know. I do know the animals were healthy and much more easily hydrated because of the systems. I doubt they would have survived without them in these climates.

Last edited:
I guess I’m still stuck on the question of: is night hydration from fog a significant enough source of hydration to warrant changing up things this much? Even in situations where it has been observed as Taylor said in a few swallows of condensation at night, is it enough to warrant this big of a push when we see them drink in much larger quantities during the day? Setting aside the hygiene part of misters and foggers, how much of a role can condensation from fog truly play in overall health? A sip or two of water at night is enough to rethink everything? Maybe it is. Maybe there’s no harm in offering it and possibly benefits we’re just not fully aware of yet. Just logically I can’t get there off the info we have.

I haven’t gone through all of Bill Strand’s stuff to be honest. I’ve been meaning to for a while. Has he seen increased longevity or other measurable benefits?

I was the one who brought this topic to the light some time ago
I have a oaoer in lrint about it.

to make just few wuotes:

1. as chameleons experience night fog of. Various intensity majority of
Nights wherever they live, thr night fogging IS the natural
Way of hydration if three basic rules are kept:
A only ag night
B only at temps under 18C
C only with air movement and ventilation

2. The oractice of hundreds of people
That use forgget under my supervision and consultancy shows excellent results and no negative side effects

3. non believers base their non-acceptance on pure soecullations and no experiments, or base it on cases in contradiction to the practice proposed (fogging at daytime at high temps and with low ventilation e.g.)

4. I run an experiment with 12 captive chameleons that get ONLY FOGGER and nondrop of water for already 27months. All Ok incl Reproduction and thriving

5. i use foggers since 90s,
So I have more than 25years experience

6. Did many studies of itnin the wild (subjectnof publication)

I am
Ansolutely comfodet foggers are great and if used properly and nit wrongky, they are the safest and
Most natiral
Way of chameleon hydration

1. as chameleons experience night fog of. Various intensity majority of

Which Chameleons in particular experience fog majority of nights?

What do you mean by "Various intensity" Dry Fog at times, Wetting Fog at others, Heavy Wetting fog at times as well?

Ultrasonic Fogger = "Dry Fog" / Our Misters = "Heavy Wetting Fog"

4. I run an experiment with 12 captive chameleons that get ONLY FOGGER and nondrop of water for already 27months. All Ok incl Reproduction and thriving

I am
Ansolutely comfodet foggers are great and if used properly and nit wrongky, they are the safest and
Most natiral
Way of chameleon hydration

Right, so it Fogs, at night for alot of these species. The same areas with the High Fog are also rain forests, where it rains almost every day, correct?

So you want to cherry pick the fog, which is the opposite of the rain we provide already, and state only run the fog.

Which again, there is a big difference between the Fog they experience, and having a ultrasonic fog, blasted on them from above.

You said "the misters are not rain, but pressurized water" which is true, to a point, most of the pressure is lost when exiting the nozzle.

The Foggers are also not fog, but pressurized water mist. A smaller mist, but a pressurized mist all the same.

3. non believers base their non-acceptance on pure soecullations and no experiments, or base it on cases in contradiction to the practice proposed (fogging at daytime at high temps and with low ventilation e.g.)

So this? https://www.madcham.de/en/nebel-und-nebler/ is which of above?

Last edited:
So I don’t disagree that fogging helps hydrate. I just want to know how. Is it condensation in the upper airway that is swallowed? Is water somehow absorbed through tissue in the lungs? Is it absorbed through some permeable membrane in the skin? Curious, I despise the idea of blind faith, and want to know the mechanism. I mean, if turtles can breath underwater through their butts, why can’t a chameleon hydrate through their lungs?

Even though I’m all for fogging I do think the OP has valid points. My thoughts:

1.Can bacteria be present in Foggers that can cause problems with lung function? Answer: If not cleaned properly then yes I do see a problem with accumulated bacteria growth that can effect the health of your animal and EVEN YOU. This is why every humidifier you buy there is strict directions on keeping it clean!

2. Are Foggers similar to the shunned and bad wrapped waterfall? Answer: IMO yes they are in many ways, you must clean them just as often and keep them sterile or you will end up with bacteria growth.

3. Is this fogging natural and does it work? Answer: In my experience with using a Fogger for that high nighttime humidity effect is it flat out works if your wanting a better hydrated chameleon. Is it “natural” with blasting very fine mist in an enclosure that a Fogger creates? Probably not IMO. For this very reason I plan to go glass or use a dragonstrand clearside and plant heavily in a bioactive system this upcoming summer. Hoping this will bump up my humidity levels at night and reduce my fogging usage. I still plan to use a Fogger if need be though.

4. How does this so called fine mist from Foggers enter the lungs of my chameleon and induce hydration? Answer: I’m not a reptile Biologist or anything so again this is my opinion. I don’t think the chameleon absorbs the dense water mist we see coming out of the piping. I think it’s the fact that the dense fog increases the overall humidity of the enclosure and in turn the chameleon breathes in the dense humid air we are creating. The fog mist we see coming out of the tubing isn’t useful until it hits the air and oxygen and mixes. Thus creating “natural” humid air and this is when I think it’s absorbing and being utilized by the lungs of the chameleon.

Should you use these techniques and incorporate fogging? Answer: I think what we need to be shooting for is HIGH nighttime humidity that’s the key to all of this. Whether that be through Misting, Fogger/Humidifier, Glass enclosures, or Highly planted bioactive enclosures. Each enclosure and setup will be different depending on your environment and needs but we should all be striving for that high nighttime humidity in some way shape or form.

Should you use these techniques and incorporate fogging? Answer: I think what we need to be shooting for is HIGH nighttime humidity that’s the key to all of this. Whether that be through Misting, Fogger/Humidifier, Glass enclosures, or Highly planted bioactive enclosures. Each enclosure and setup will be different depending on your environment and needs but we should all be striving for that high nighttime humidity in some way shape or form.

Agreed 100%, I do this not only for my Chameleons benefit, but Also my plants. All my plants, are also Malagasy Natives, they also like the night drop of temps, and high nighttime humidity.

Back
Top Bottom