Fog?

For the folks using computer fans, how do you ensure the safety of your Cham’s tails and other limbs? I was thinking I would cover it with window screen. I think this could work.
Most accounts I've read put them outside the enclosure—usually on top where the screen is already between fan & cham. Where were you thinking of putting it?

For the folks using computer fans, how do you ensure the safety of your Cham’s tails and other limbs? I was thinking I would cover it with window screen. I think this could work.
Yes window screen, but depends on your setup. Usually the can just be placed on top of the screen enclosure. As light are already hear we don't want them here any way. There are usb powered ones and just set on top with it sucking the air out, not blowing in. You may not see it but this will change air fast.

If so inclined you cat use an incense stick and see the smoke go. NO CHAM in cage of course.

When we talk of adaptability I think that many animals can exist even for a few generations in most places that are not extremes. CA is a perfect example. There can be many yeas of acceptable weather. But eventually Drought, fires, severe heat or cold. Native animals have adapted to these "Every 10 years" events where as non natives have not and we loose populations. The more wide spread they can get the better their odds of establishing a viable population.

Most accounts I've read put them outside the enclosure—usually on top where the screen is already between fan & cham. Where were you thinking of putting it?
For one of my enclosures, I used egg crate styrene lighting panels, more open more ventilation. The other is a hybrid of wood, plexi, and egg crate. My plan for the wood enclosure is to cut a hole in the wood in the back and install it. The other enclosure I was planning to install it in the egg crate. The plan is to put them low in the enclosure, in an area that the mist doesn't hit, this area holds the most humidity with the bioactive setup.

I still advocate drawing air through rather than pushing it through, but either way for your enclosures, I agree a piece of window screen on the side toward the enclosure should do the trick. Most (all?) of these fans have holes in the corners of the frame for attaching to computer housings, etc. I have one that included a shock absorber layer to reduce noise & vibration. A layer of window screen cut to the size of the frame should be no problem.

On your wooden enclosure, a round soffit vent the same diameter as the fan blade might be a less unattractive option. I did this in my beardie box.
1627928818521.png

I did trim the vent collar down to the thickness of the plywood, but it works just fine.

I still advocate drawing air through rather than pushing it through, but either way for your enclosures, I agree a piece of window screen on the side toward the enclosure should do the trick. Most (all?) of these fans have holes in the corners of the frame for attaching to computer housings, etc. I have one that included a shock absorber layer to reduce noise & vibration. A layer of window screen cut to the size of the frame should be no problem.

On your wooden enclosure, a round soffit vent the same diameter as the fan blade might be a less unattractive option. I did this in my beardie box.

I did trim the vent collar down to the thickness of the plywood, but it works just fine.
Thanks, @Klyde O'Scope. This is helpful. My plan is to suck the air out. I would rather promote air exchange than force it.

San Diego area but I don’t know which cities by the ocean, there are a lot of them. I used to know back in the 90s but can’t remember now. I lived in San Diego then but I never went to where they were or saw them. They lived in the hedges between houses and in the trees but they were hard to find. It was thought that they were pets that escaped and multiplied.

True, what you’re saying. However in both cases the airflow is minimum with the fans I use. In principle it just moves the air and doesn’t really give a wind effect. The cooling fans on the other hand, they really create a wind effect.

The ones I picked up are aren’t super strong either. I used this the brand before but it was a larger fan. I may use these in my baby enclosures and get stronger ones for big enclosures.

While I'm sure fog in the wild helps with dehydration, I'm still concerned about bacteria being involved with fogging in captive conditions partly due to whether foggers are clean enough or not.
My veiled loves the fogger from the minute I got it. I take it apart and wash it once a week because i do feel buildup. I soak the hose and bottle in water with 3% bleach. I do not run it at night only in the morning with breakfast which is when my veiled opens up and breaths deep. i also run it after we take a walk in the sun. he loves sitting right under the mist. also once a month i remove anything that can get moldy like the hammock and soak in tub with 3% bleach and use disinfect towels and wipe down everything else. I keep him with me until everything dries out before i let him back in. ITs a job but he is worth it.

There is always background populations of bacteria. Animals have adapted to deal with this when healthy and strong. That is hugely different from concentrating bacteria and forcing it into the lungs. I use cool mist humidifiers for a few of the cooler hours of the night. They are not set it and forget it options. They take maintenance. I use distilled water to keep the reservoir clean and I clean it and leave it in the sun to monthly. I clean the tubes when there is any sign of growth. I do not glue my tubing so I can clean it. I wish my tubing was clear. Pseudomonas as a distinctive smell when it is active something like corn chips or dog feet. Any odors or accumulation in your humidifier require a thorough cleaning.

My veiled loves the fogger from the minute I got it. I take it apart and wash it once a week because i do feel buildup. I soak the hose and bottle in water with 3% bleach. I do not run it at night only in the morning with breakfast which is when my veiled opens up and breaths deep. i also run it after we take a walk in the sun. he loves sitting right under the mist. also once a month i remove anything that can get moldy like the hammock and soak in tub with 3% bleach and use disinfect towels and wipe down everything else. I keep him with me until everything dries out before i let him back in. ITs a job but he is worth it.
Just curious how long you've had your veiled?

I thought the California feral Jackson's were up the coast in the Morrow Bay area but I have not heard of anyone seeing them for a long time. I would love to know if someone has and when.

I hear that from people but I always get the corn chip smell from infected dog ears or wounds. It has almost ruined corn chips (Fritos) for me but if I have chili I persevere.

That's a shame that it's spoiled it for you.
Maybe the smell can vary a bit? Or maybe it smells different when it comes from the infected spot on the chameleon than in "nature"?

I hear that from people but I always get the corn chip smell from infected dog ears or wounds. It has almost ruined corn chips (Fritos) for me but if I have chili I persevere.
🤢 that smell, the dog of our friends had that ear infection lately 🤢

Back
Top Bottom