flys as staple

Sticktongue

Avid Member
So Fredo is kinda picky. he will eat crickets and supers at an alright pace. however, he LOVES Blue bottle flies. I ordered 500 and hatched out about 30 on monday. gutloaded them and fed. he loves them and will eat as many as i put in. Is it possible to use it as a staple for now while he is younger? Or do I need to keep searching for something he really enjoys. Like maybe roaches. Still have not tried those yet. I know a variety is important, but he seems to be pretty picky

Flies are great but I would still suggest something that can eat more stuff than flies. I feed my flies the honey/bee pollen powder you can get from places that sell them along with fresh fruit juices. Melon, apple, orange etc. Besides this they dont eat much else. Roaches would be good to explore because they will devour some good gut loads. You want to get those dark leafy green veggies into your cham along with other things like squash, bell pepper etc. In the winter time my chams get three feeders. Crickets, flies and spiders that live inside. I have montane species that do not see any type of worms as food so I am rather limited. They wont eat roaches either. They would much rather have the flies (all but one) than crickets but I make sure to feed them an equal amount of both.

I would not feed flies as a sole prey item but I see no reason not to rotate them as a reg prey item offered. I use them as an appetite stimulent for mine. They seem to trigger my crew to eat during the winter when its cooler and they slow down. I feed cricks and roaches as staples and mix in horns, silks, bb flies, and grasshoppers and katydids. The later two I collect during summer months. Variety is the best option for everyone, animal & you. Because you dont want a cham that will only eat certain prey. Not good for the chams nutritional needs and not practical for the keeper if its a seasonal prey item. jmo

Where do you guys order your roaches and hornworms from? I have been checking out the sponsors but was wondering if any of you feed from a site that is not sponsored here. I am going to get a roach colony going soon.. Well i'm going to try anyway.

I ordered my dubia from dragonbreederz they advertise in the classifieds on here all the time. They sent me some good young adult breeders. Be careful you dont want old used up females. Ive had mine almost a year. I started with about 100 adults. I now have 10's of thousands. :eek:

Ive been trading mine for free cricks lately at the lps. So i feed my guys for free some weeks. Free roaches and free cricks cant beat that.

I would also suggest staying away from a single 'staple' feeder. Obviously some will be used more than others but one should not dominate all other feeders in the diet in my opinion.

Try going to faunaclassifieds too.

thanks ya'll. i am picking up 100 breeder dubia tomorrow and about 25 younger ones to feed off for now. Hopefully i can get the colony going well.

Back
Top Bottom