Flying Feeders

dlaunde

Established Member
Hey all,

Curious if there is a good flying feeder insect I could put in my Panthers cage every now and then to keep him "entertained"? And is there a good provider where to order said insects?

His core staple is dubia roaches with super worms mixed in fed in a cup, so he doesn't get to "hunt" much unless I do crickets every now and then and let them free range in the cage.

I wouldn't be expecting the flying insect to become a staple or provide all the necessary nutritional requirements but more something I can add in a few times a month to give him a challenge for catching and eating.

Thanks!

If you live in an area that doesn't have pesticides/trash/waste runoff/etc, you could try catching various (safe to eat) butterflies and grasshoppers. My chameleon seems to go nuts for the green, young grasshoppers that can fly short distances.

Find a pond or a lake and try to find some dragonflies. My chameleon absolutely goes nuts over them. They are pretty hard to catch though and you have to be super stealthy to sneak up on em, but well worth it when you nab a few.

Just as Crashbandit05 mentioned, butterflies and grasshoppers are pretty good too. I've also used cicadas and katydids too; both are able to fly (although they are a bit larger than other insects so they typically just walk around in a cage) and both made my panther cham super happy! I catch him katydids every weekend in the summer. It's his favorite treat.

As far as things you can buy that fly?

Blue bottle flies
House flies
False stable flies
Black soldier flies (phoenix worms / calci-worms / black soldier fly larvae turn into these)

You could get some wax worms and let them pupate into moths although the moths are too small for most adult chameleons to take interest in. You could also get hornworms and let them pupate into Sphinx Moths / Hawk Moths which are pretty large and can fly, provided their wings are formed properly and are allowed time to dry out.

Lots of different options out there.

Last edited:
She still swears that she doesn't know where that hawk moth went. 20161230_131350.jpg

She still swears that she doesn't know where that hawk moth went..

HAHAHA that's funny stuff right there. I haven't added new pics on here in forever, but here is a pic of the very first Sphinx Moth / Hawk Moth my panther chameleon ever had.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/media/nom-nom-nom.42856/

It was in his cage for 2 days straight and I'm pretty sure he was scared of it due to the size cuz he tried to avoid it most of the time, but he finally ate it. I was about to give up hope cuz they die within a couple days without any nectar to drink and it was becoming pretty lifeless, but he did finally eat it. Has been eating em ever since.

HAHAHA that's funny stuff right there. I haven't added new pics on here in forever, but here is a pic of the very first Sphinx Moth / Hawk Moth my panther chameleon ever had.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/media/nom-nom-nom.42856/

It was in his cage for 2 days straight and I'm pretty sure he was scared of it due to the size cuz he tried to avoid it most of the time, but he finally ate it. I was about to give up hope cuz they die within a couple days without any nectar to drink and it was becoming pretty lifeless, but he did finally eat it. Has been eating em ever since.
I breed my hawkmoths and raise the hornworms, but that guy was just about to pass of old age anyway. He did his duty and was ready to go, lol.

Back
Top Bottom