Flushing Eyes

Question - have you noticed any kind of discharge or crust?

They reason I ask is this is exactly how one of my girls looked. Shortly after doing as you have done, she stopped using her and started having trouble targeting her food. I got some eye ointment from the vet and did as instructed. It seemed to work as within maybe 24-48 hours she was actively tracking with the eye again and being able to hunt.

When she would blink (trying to clear her eye, especially after a "mist") you could clearly see a lump. It seemed to bother her as she would wipe it across a branch occasionally.

Unfortunately, I never found out EXACTLY what the issue was as she passed away shortly after getting "better"...

If your vet keeps seeing nothing, poke her in the eye and say "PSH! Theres nothing in there, shouldn't hurt!" Could be a scratch, infection, or an issue with the eye mechanism - all of which aren't readily visible.

[I don't recommend ACTUALLY poking her in the eye... lol]

Hope you guys get it figured out. Best wishes!

Question - have you noticed any kind of discharge or crust?

They reason I ask is this is exactly how one of my girls looked. Shortly after doing as you have done, she stopped using her and started having trouble targeting her food. I got some eye ointment from the vet and did as instructed. It seemed to work as within maybe 24-48 hours she was actively tracking with the eye again and being able to hunt.

When she would blink (trying to clear her eye, especially after a "mist") you could clearly see a lump. It seemed to bother her as she would wipe it across a branch occasionally.

Unfortunately, I never found out EXACTLY what the issue was as she passed away shortly after getting "better"...

If your vet keeps seeing nothing, poke her in the eye and say "PSH! Theres nothing in there, shouldn't hurt!" Could be a scratch, infection, or an issue with the eye mechanism - all of which aren't readily visible.

[I don't recommend ACTUALLY poking her in the eye... lol]

Hope you guys get it figured out. Best wishes!

Thank you! No discharge, just the lump and puffiness. After extended mistings it did seem to get a bit rounder, which I suspect might be the shed softening and moving slightly. It does seem a bit bothersome but not too much. I am not sure if Im over reacting about the other eye, it I feel like its a bit sunken and “sockety”

At the vets, waiting on meds. Vet thinks its not shed but something else (infection, fluid, etc). Getting eye drops plus oral antibiotics as she wants to be overly cautious since its getting worse. No followup unless it continues to get worse because it stresses poor Penne a LOT.

Last edited:
I've used Baytril (enrofloxacin) and Panacur concurrently to good result. I wouldn't be super concerned! As always, keep her well hydrated and you should be good to go.

Hopefully this helps out miss Penne! Keep us posted. :)

Thank you both! Relieved she can take both without issues, and relieved its Baytril. Sure hope it helps because we are both sick of vet appts!

She does take silkworms in secret. I try to just shoot it in their mouths as opposed to injecting but either works!

At the vets, waiting on meds. Vet thinks its not shed but something else (infection, fluid, etc). Getting eye drops plus oral antibiotics as she wants to be overly cautious since its getting worse. No followup unless it continues to get worse because it stresses poor Penne a LOT.
Do that have an idea how it may have happened? Poor little lady being probed by us mean Aliens :alien: i always wanted to use that Emoji

Today would be the 6th day of antibiotic eye drops, and the 5th day of oral antibiotics. I can’t say that I notice any difference yet. Maybe a little less puffy, but the bump under her eyelid is very noticable... I wish they would have flushed it just to be sure it wasn’t shed.
Poor Penne hates get the meds, and is shedding now, too... but she is such a sweet little girl. I have some superworms and hornworms arriving today that will help the medicine go down. She’s also going straight to the sunny free range after medicine so there is a silver lining to my handling her.

9855FC4E-113D-400C-805F-40363BFE4BA9.jpeg E3E802B7-C2B9-4F70-9853-1C26771E2E1A.jpeg

There are threads on here somewhere about blocked tear ducts.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/nasolacrimal-duct-obstruction.143618/
You might find some useful info here. I didn't read it all. Something to discuss with your vet.

I missed this earlier. That was an interesting and sad scenario, but I learned a bit about how the vets might flush her eyes (and/or nasal cavities) in the future. I am hoping that the antibiotics cure her, I'm very worried about the stress. She's a sweet thing but its all incredibly stressful for her, taking her to the vets for a 3rd time would be very hard on her. AND I broke her plant while removing it (its stem grew quite tall), so now her cage is unfamiliar. Ugh.

This sucks. Giving her drops every day is really stressing her out. Tomorrow makes 7 days on drops and 6 days of oral antibiotics and I dont really see much difference. Maybe a little less puffy.

@ferretinmyshoes had an old post that jacksjill posted earlier where they discussed eye flushing and nasal flushing. Both eyes now seem to be puffy with lumpiness in the corner of the eye. Now Im wondering if she needs a nasal flush vs an eye flush, or both. Blocked tear duct? Idk... but out of my group of 6, Penne is the one who I can see getting “stressed to death.” She’s so sweet, but so timid. So this has me really worried... not only about the eye but more so about all the stress on her.

I’ve been putting her on the free range after medicating her, which she really enjoys, but putting her on it and taking her off it are stressful, too. So I wonder if I am doing more harm than good.

Here are Penelope’s eyes today:
4BDFD3C1-7BA9-4C87-93F2-66B7291FB84A.png F32A1163-53AC-44AB-A874-BEA57F453197.png A8A14FF0-6B67-4546-91FD-7855EC7CE6E0.png F3979454-EF71-4347-BF85-F10D8B4F2BD7.png

Is there a way you can move her free range close to her cage so she can put herself away?
Sorry I don't know more about the rest of her issues.

Is there a way you can move her free range close to her cage so she can put herself away?
Sorry I don't know more about the rest of her issues.

There is a free range right next to her cage, but its 8 feet tall and theres no way I’d be able to get her out of it if needed. The one I put her on is upstairs, but it has a window view. I dont think she’d mind as much if I weren’t giving her meds first.

Back
Top Bottom