Florida just got a bit weirder

nightanole

Chameleon Enthusiast
And its a pretty high bar to start with.

falling iggies.jpg

I believe in 2018 the issue was the good samaritans gathering up the iggies and warming them up in the house. Then you have several warm wild iggies in your house...

I think it would be best to just gather the iggies and put them along the house etc were there is less chance of freezing.

Also the tegus, please think of the kinda dumb tegus that decided not to stay in their burrows :)

Yeah, welcome to Florida, that's really a thing. I don't have many iguanas here on my coast, but we do have cuban knight anoles, and green basilisks roaming around. I'll keep my eyes open on my way to work tomorrow. Guess this means I have to actually wear shoes and socks to work, and not just flip flops :cautious:

I’ll be out early in the morning checking my yard and the vacant lot next store to see if I find any iguana’s that fell. If I do then I’ll pick them up and warm them up and then release them
I'll be placing them in my storage shed. It gets and stays pretty warm in there.
I also have plenty of hibiscus on hand

I believe in 2018 the issue was the good samaritans gathering up the iggies and warming them up in the house. Then you have several warm wild iggies in your house...

I think it would be best to just gather the iggies and put them along the house etc were there is less chance of freezing.

Also the tegus, please think of the kinda dumb tegus that decided not to stay in their burrows :)
Once you get bitten by a large Tegu....You stop interfering with Tegus.
There aren't many this far north.
I'm in Broward county.

Last edited:
Ten years ago we had a snap where the temperature didn't get above 55 for many days.
It killed a LOT of our iguanas. They were dormant too long.
A 24 or even a 48 hour cold snap of around 50 at night should kill very few.
I live in an area intertwined with canals. Iguanas use these canals as highways. After a cold night, many of them either fall on the ground or into the water below. They become very easy to pick up and place in my shed.
I no longer place them in my garage, because it's nearly impossible to get them back out of there once they get their energy back.
I'd be finding new ones for days

Attachments

• 20180817_123711.jpg
    20180817_123711.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 20180830_112008.jpg
    20180830_112008.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 20180816_123734.jpg
    20180816_123734.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
I have one pet iguana that lives inside and I feed around 20 wild iguanas outside. Right now they are high in the trees so there’s no way to get them down and move them. To warm them you only have to pick them up and put them up against your body and rub them and they will come back around.

Here’s my sweet baby Piper.

0AE47C01-3500-4F34-AD65-0E8CC972B5CB.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom