Flood me with all your knowledge on insect breeding :)

Char.claugh

I have a 6 1/2 month old veiled chameleon who’s main diet consists of locusts ( turned his nose up to crickets ) and I have bought his locusts from pet shops the whole time I’ve had him. For some reason non of the pet stores near me have a constant supply so I end up going to about 3 shops every time just to find the size he will eat (medium). I’ve come to the conclusion I’m better of breeding my own so he never goes without because on a few occasions he’s had to eat only morios and waxworms and it makes me feel super guilty as locusts are his favourite. Just posting this for anyone who has bred their own locusts/crickets to tell me what I’d need and what to expect because for some reason I can’t find a good website that tells me everything I need to know. Attached a photo of him just because he’s a cutie, also a curious puppy in the background ?

Attachments

• 75621BDB-31B1-4B1C-9889-D9E3D721A8B0.jpeg
    75621BDB-31B1-4B1C-9889-D9E3D721A8B0.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 92
Just wondering, have you tried feeding silkworms, BSFL, or hornworms? Just wondering if you're able to provide your chameleon with a varied diet!
Hornworms are illegal in the uk and I’ve never come across silkworms. He has a varied diet I switch it up with morioworms, mealworms and waxworms and trying to get him to eat some fruits and veggies (haven’t succeeded yet). With the worms one tub lasts me about a month and a half and all local pet shops have constant supply of worms so I’m fine with that it’s just the locusts as I’m going through up to 4 boxes a week and they’re hard to get a hold of sometimes.

Hornworms are illegal in the uk and I’ve never come across silkworms. He has a varied diet I switch it up with morioworms, mealworms and waxworms and trying to get him to eat some fruits and veggies (haven’t succeeded yet). With the worms one tub lasts me about a month and a half and all local pet shops have constant supply of worms so I’m fine with that it’s just the locusts as I’m going through up to 4 boxes a week and they’re hard to get a hold of sometimes.
I think waxworms are harder than others because you have to feed them special food (I think) and BSFL will eat compost type stuff, but I think they’re messy. And I’m not sure if it’s practical to keep them indoors. If there is an easy way, please let me know because I would like to know as well.

I think waxworms are harder than others because you have to feed them special food (I think) and BSFL will eat compost type stuff, but I think they’re messy. And I’m not sure if it’s practical to keep them indoors. If there is an easy way, please let me know because I would like to know as well.
I use waxworms as a treat and just Feed honey and cucumber as they don’t have to be nutritious when he’s only getting 1-2 a week I keep them in a draw under my chams tank and non of them die but some have turned into cocoons. I don’t know anything about bsfl, never came across them in the uk.

I use waxworms as a treat and just Feed honey and cucumber as they don’t have to be nutritious when he’s only getting 1-2 a week I keep them in a draw under my chams tank and non of them die but some have turned into cocoons. I don’t know anything about bsfl, never came across them in the uk.
Okay, I thought I heard something about if you want to breed silkworms, that you need mulberry leaves.

Okay, I thought I heard something about if you want to breed silkworms, that you need mulberry leaves.

You do. There are only two things on this planet silkworms will eat: mulberry leaves and mulberry mush (powdered, reconstituted leaves). It's very easy to make, but not cheap.

Coastal Silkworms sells the dried mulberry powder and the prepared stuff. With my cham, the breeder sent some 1" silks and a handful of leaves to feed them for a week. And wow, they eat a lot of leaves! I gave 15 silks a huge 7" leaf this morning and it's already half gone.

I've also started hatching them. Here they are from yesterday night. That dish came with 500 eggs!
IMG_7158.jpg

Nice work on the silkworms. I recently bought the same thing with great success. :)

Awesome! Did most of yours hatch? I think about 90% for me so far. Asking so OP can get a sense of what "success" might look like hatching these little guys.

Back
Top Bottom