First Week of Chameleon Ownership.

pennington

So tonight draws to a close the first week of Chameleon ownership. I feel one week more experienced than I did last week.

The week started well, my exo-terra terraium was set up, high 80s in the basking area, mid 70s in the opposite end with a night time temperature of 70.

My UV tubes are Exo-terra repti glo 30inch 25w 2.0% and 5.0%. These have reflectors on them to harvest more of the UV.

I started the week with a sole infrared 150w heat lamp on a day/night thermostat. I think this was too powerful and made the dimmer thermostat work too hard and I was worried that if the dimmer thermostat failed then the bulb would be at full power 150w's. Too hot I would imagine.

So for the second week I've made some changes, I have got rid of the infrared heat bulb. GONE.

In it's place I now have a 75w Sun-glo basking bulb. This will be on for 12 hours a day. As I live in chilly manchester UK I need a heat source! It's too cold. So I have bought a ceramic heat emitter 60w. This will give the terrarium a nice ambient temperature during the day in the warmer end of the terrarium and a cooler temperature at night.

So my diet has been locusts (medium sized) that are fed Kale, carrot and bug grub. I sprinkle them with calcium every day and I have a supplement that has D3 that I gave him a few days a go. I'll do this again in a few weeks.

I spray him before I leave for work and when I get home. I handle him everyday and he really doesn't seem to mind climbing on us.

He has really beautiful colour and never hisses at us. I'm please with how things are going. The research continues.

Oh, so glad ur first week has gone ok. :)

Try and get some sneaky pics for us ;)

Only 3 more sleeps for me, then Simba will be here...YEY!!! :D

Oh, so glad ur first week has gone ok. :)

Try and get some sneaky pics for us ;)

Only 3 more sleeps for me, then Simba will be here...YEY!!! :D

Thank you. Pictures will be no problem. I have read a few posts about chameleons having problems with cameras or being handled but Keith is absolutely fine with both. If I put my hand by him he walks straight onto my hand. I handle him everyday in this way. If he had the slightest issue with being handled then I wouldn't but as he is good natured I want to keep the contact.

No real issues so far, cleaned out my locust tank yesterday and replaced the food etc. If I look after them they should look after Keith. I also spray them once a day.

I've bought some cheese plant seeds for my terrarium so they will grow all over. It should start to look like a piece of jungle soon.

Exciting Times

Looks good!! :cool:

Only one more sleep for me!!! WOOOHOOOOO!!!!:D

Very excited for you. Glad you liked my set up. I've had to order a higher watt ceramic heat emitter though because the 60w isn't putting out enough heat. I had everything sorted for his arrival and then he comes and boom, the infrared heat bulb is too strong, bam the ceramic heater isn't strong enough, needs a basking light as the infrared light doesn't do the job well enough, basking light put in fortune spent, happy chameleon and broke human.

Awwww lush pics!!!

Caption " No, this is my good side!!!" LOL

Can't wait till I can get snap happy!!!! :D

It's great having more people from the U.K on here, im from newcastle. :) All i will say about your set up is i think you could do with a couple of live plants in there for the little guy to hide in plus it helps with humidity. :D

Plants and heat

Also how are you checking temps?

Hi Newcastle,

Plants are on their way, I've ordered a range of bromeiliads and im germinating some Cheese plant seeds as we speak.

I'm using two digital max/min thermometer/hydometer. I had one and couldn't believe it wasn't getting warm enough so I bought a second one that was a different make and got very simliar readings so its not the thermometer thats at fault. I think my house is so cold that the heaters struggle to get to temperature. His terrarium is so much warmer than the lounge we are contemplating climbing onto the vine and taking it in turns to bask!

It's great having more people from the U.K on here, im from newcastle. :) All i will say about your set up is i think you could do with a couple of live plants in there for the little guy to hide in plus it helps with humidity. :D

Yeah its all good!! ;)

I saw your post on RFUK saying ur in Newcastle. Always nice to meet a fellow Geordie LOL I'm originally from that side of the river. (New Hartley, by Seaton Delaval/Seaton Sluice)

Hoping to move back over there in the next couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom