First time gestation

jonpat83

How long do female Veileds carry their first clutch? I've heard its longer for the first clutch but not how much longer?

From the day they mate its usually about 30 days before they are laid. It can range from slightly less than that to 45 days from what I've heard.

If you are meaning first unmated clutch...I have had some that don't lay eggs at all. They can lay them a month or so after they are sexually mature....but there is no set length of time until the first clutch is laid. It partly depends on the amount of food they are fed and the temperature they are kept at.

Thanks, my female veiled is 10 months old and was mated and has been showing gravid colors for 38 days now. I dont think she will be much longer now and I have several large containers on the floor of her cage to give her plenty of choice, just didn't want her to go too long incase she was eggbound, hopefully wont have to wait long now!

Thanks again

Hope she lays them soon for you!

Do you know how to incubate them? Have you got some containers ready to put the eggs in?

I'm hoping to seperate them into 3 groups and try 1 lot in an incubator, 1 lot in a cupboard and 1 lot in the adults cage to experience the same day/night temperature changes as the adults. Just think it will be quite good to see the different results.

I'm hoping to seperate them into 3 groups and try 1 lot in an incubator, 1 lot in a cupboard and 1 lot in the adults cage to experience the same day/night temperature changes as the adults. Just think it will be quite good to see the different results.

Maybe so, but temperature in the ground is unlikely to be the same temperature up in a tree, don't you think? Depends your temperatures of course. but...

Yeah, I wont keep them under the basking light, just down in the bottom corner of the cage so they will experience some fluctuation.

Back
Top Bottom