First Time Chameleon Owner

The battle between glass/screen kind of reminds me of so many battles that are posted on Saltwater reef aquarium web sites about deep sand beds and shallow beds or bare glass.
Shame people post their feelings and personal opinions and not solid fact. Obviously both work and work quite well. Each has its own pros and cons.
If you are prepared for the con and you keep up with the required maintenance, than it appears each works.

Just wish so many people wouldn't jump on the band wagon because it is the perceived thing to do.

I wish you the best with your glass enclosure. Please keep us posted on your progress and with pics as your Cham continues to grow.

Best to you! :cool:

A couple of things: If you can keep proper temps and humidity levels in glass, then I say go for it. One thing I don't like about your setup is the substrate. I had that stuff in my pygmy enclosure, and ended up pulling it out of my cham's mouth when she took some in while feeding. I feel lucky that I was right there. I would go for a layer of hydro balls, then somethng like the coconut fibre (the one that comes in those blocks), or Jungle Mix. I use them mixed together. My plants grow very well in that combination (I don't pot the plants, just plant them in the substrate).

There is a company called Penn Plax, and they build large glass enclosures (or plexi, can't remember), that come in large sizes. They have good ventilation, and I would personally use them for larger species.

I find for my climate glass is the way to go, but it's not for everyone. Just my opinion. There are others here with many more years of experience.

First, the substrate: I don't like it either, that's why I wanted to go for more natural substrate i.e. coco-husk/orchid bark/ and other good stuff. Maybe I'll try the Jungle Mix, as I was looking into at that the other day at my work. I would like my plants to flourish in natural substrate.

Second, the hydro balls: I did get two bags turtle stones (enough to cover the bottom about an inch or two, as they are about the same size as the Hydro-Balls), but if the Hydro-Balls are a better option . . . I may want to go with those instead. :/

Thirdly, the larger enclosure: I will definitely look into the Penn Plax customs - as I can order them through my work. Or I may just have my husband build one (He's quite the craftsmen when it comes to building, and he's also an electrician. He built three stands for our personal fish tanks, that turned out beautiful and quite sturdy.)

Thanks for commenting! ;D

- - - - - -

Anyone else have any comments on the Hydro-Balls vs aquarium stones of the same size?

Last edited:
The battle between glass/screen kind of reminds me of so many battles that are posted on Saltwater reef aquarium web sites about deep sand beds and shallow beds or bare glass.
Shame people post their feelings and personal opinions and not solid fact. Obviously both work and work quite well. Each has its own pros and cons.
If you are prepared for the con and you keep up with the required maintenance, than it appears each works.

Just wish so many people wouldn't jump on the band wagon because it is the perceived thing to do.

I wish you the best with your glass enclosure. Please keep us posted on your progress and with pics as your Cham continues to grow.

Best to you! :cool:

I know what you mean about the reef stuff, as we currently have a custom build 180 Envision reef tank with mostly SPS coral. (my husband is apart of several reef forums)

Thank you for your support, as this thread wasn't intended to be about the OUTSIDE enclosure, but what's going on the INSIDE. ;-)

Anyone else have any comments on the Hydro-Balls vs aquarium stones of the same size?

Hydroton is used for growing plants hydroponically, and it works great in terrariums. I would prefer it over rock for a couple reasons: It's much lighter weight, it's inert (some rock is, some isn't), and most importantly it can absorb excess water and later release it for your plants.

full

Here's the drainage layers in my pygmy viv. Hydroton, coconut fiber sheet, charcoal (for water purification), another coconut fiber sheet, and then a mix of organic potting soil, vermiculite, and eco-earth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful enclosure, Lingling! Thanks a ton for sharing! :D

You have some really good points there. I was just going by what the book said with the stones, but . . . it was written three years ago, and from what I know about the Hydro-Balls, they're kinda a new thing in the pet shop trade. Plus the stones were cheaper . . . But I do get Manager's Discount - cost +10%. So no biggy!

*hucks the stones and writes Hydro-Balls on grocery list*

If you are serious about a Panther glass enclosure, you are in the perfect location ( I am jealous). Protean design terrariums is in your neck of the woods, to be specific N. Portland. He makes some of the most amazing glass enclosures I have ever seen, just google it - Jason Perullo (sp.) is the owner/ builders and will build for bacon-lol. :D

If you are serious about a Panther glass enclosure, you are in the perfect location ( I am jealous). Protean design terrariums is in your neck of the woods, to be specific N. Portland. He makes some of the most amazing glass enclosures I have ever seen, just google it - Jason Perullo (sp.) is the owner/ builders and will build for bacon-lol. :D

Oh thanks, I like it here - when it's not so dreary. Lol I'll definitely look that up.

*hucks the stones and writes Hydro-Balls on grocery list*

You might want to compare your store's price with a hydroponics store if you have one in your area. Hydro-balls are no different than hydroton (pet supply companies just slapped a new name on the same product so they could sell it as an overpriced pet product). It's probably cheaper at a hydroponics shop.

Where are you finding the Hydroton balls at here in the US so you do not have to pay a huge shipping fee?

Also if I may ask. How are you preventing water from becoming stale and thus molding if it is trapped under all of that?

Thank you.

Where are you finding the Hydroton balls at here in the US so you do not have to pay a huge shipping fee?

Also if I may ask. How are you preventing water from becoming stale and thus molding if it is trapped under all of that?

Thank you.

Hydroponics shops sell them. Search online for a place in your area. And they're designed to hold excess water. They're clay aggregate, they can't mold.

You might want to compare your store's price with a hydroponics store if you have one in your area. Hydro-balls are no different than hydroton (pet supply companies just slapped a new name on the same product so they could sell it as an overpriced pet product). It's probably cheaper at a hydroponics shop.

I get cost if I buy through my store because I'm a manager. Do you really think it would be cheaper if I went through a hydroponic shop and paid their retail price as opposed to my cost?

What's the average price on them for the amount I need?

Last edited:
I get cost if I buy through my store because I'm a manager. Do you really think it would be cheaper if I went through a hydroponic shop and paid their retail price as opposed to my cost?

What's the average price on them for the amount I need?

Based on what I paid for mine, I say it'd be $10-$15. I have an exo with a 18x18 footprint (a little smaller than yours I think) and I used less than a bag to get 2.5 inches. Bags were $10.

Based on what I paid for mine, I say it'd be $10-$15. I have an exo with a 18x18 footprint (a little smaller than yours I think) and I used less than a bag to get 2.5 inches. Bags were $10.

Nice! I'll look into my cost vs hydro shops. Thanks for the info and help!:D

Back
Top Bottom