First time chameleon owner!

Pascallove

Hello, my name is amber. I just got our new family member two days ago. My brother in law is a big reptile lover, has many of his own. I have been wanting a chameleon for years and wanted to make sure I had the time and the attention to give, so he helped me get started. I’m looking for some general tips and tricks. Some good rule of thumb things to know. I love getting advise and want to learn all I can about this little guy (at least I’m pretty sure it a guy) thanks in advance!

Attachments

• BF5F3300-F911-428E-B7B1-E5339C23FDBB.jpeg
    BF5F3300-F911-428E-B7B1-E5339C23FDBB.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 75
ADAAA3D8-0184-4BED-ACA0-4EE555224611.jpeg
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
I believe it’s a boy and I have had him two days now. I was told he is 3 months old ‍♀️
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
I handle him about twice a day, he seems to like attention. I usually just put my hand out near him and he comes right to me. If he doesn’t I just leave him be.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
I am feeding him 4-5 medium crickets dusted in calcium. Also I do have meal worms but I know not to give that often so I have only given two small ones and I think I’ll do that as treats maybe once a week or once every two weeks
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
I have reptile calcium with D3 from zoomed
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I have a mist sprayer I use 3 times a day for the cage and leaves and flooring and screen sides to let drip and I have a dripper system constantly going (very slow no pooling) except on the leafs I have under. Also he likes to be hand watered by a dropper.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Dark brown, long with white solid end, gone twice I believe maybe once more
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Screen, all sides I have a smaller one at the moment getting a much larger one in a month or so. He is so small at the moment he has lots of climbing room and is very active.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Lighting is all from zoomed, I have two different lights the reg one and the uvb one. I don’t have a lighting schedule, I usually turn lights on at 6:30am and turn off around 7:30pm
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Basking spot is at 82 degrees f, middle 77, and bottom is 75
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
I have a humidifier coming but haven’t received it yet. It’s one that can go at the bottom of the cage set up as a plant.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? No live plants
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
The cage is in the family room that is in the back of our house, we use the living room for the most part so that room has less traffic. Air vent is across the room not close to cage, and fan in middle of room but isn’t turned on. 3.5 feet approximately from the floor to top of cage.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
California

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Wanting to know for sure if I have a boy, I have read that they live longer and are easier to take care of. Also sometimes I have noticed that my cham has his mouth open every once and a while. Wondering if that just means he is hot or is that normal behavior? Or is he showing he is thirsty? I get worried and think it’s him telling me he wants to eat or drink so I offer him water usually and he does take it for the most part.
--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Attachments

• 7EA4E98C-2B2F-4BCB-B33D-C034A684C09A.jpeg
    7EA4E98C-2B2F-4BCB-B33D-C034A684C09A.jpeg
    399.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 93B4DC4D-A717-44E9-BD14-DCFED648B829.jpeg
    93B4DC4D-A717-44E9-BD14-DCFED648B829.jpeg
    348.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 9D2B9FD0-3AEB-442E-8A35-48CF82764FF2.jpeg
    9D2B9FD0-3AEB-442E-8A35-48CF82764FF2.jpeg
    319.8 KB · Views: 63
  • C1DEBA3E-60F3-4C0A-8CBF-6D9E03772D01.jpeg
    C1DEBA3E-60F3-4C0A-8CBF-6D9E03772D01.jpeg
    366.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 239C4D4B-229D-4818-B309-5D2B89BE607E.jpeg
    239C4D4B-229D-4818-B309-5D2B89BE607E.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 82
Read...read...read. I learned by reading everthing I could on this forum when I started. Even if it is about a sick chameleon and mine isn't...I read just incase someday it happens to mine. Also...ask questions. Welcome!

Thank you! Yes I also ready everything always lots of good info and even if it doesn’t apply know doesn’t mean it won’t eventually.

You have a boy. You will need calcium without D3 immediately as you will overdose him eventually with the calcium you have. Also will need a multivitamin to add twice a month. I’m sure you saw this in the care sheets. I really recommend start the large cage now. Add lots of live plants, and get a proper t5 UVB fixture. Good luck, chameleons are awesome.

You will need calcium without D3 immediately as you will overdose him eventually with the calcium you have. Also will need a multivitamin to add twice a month.

So get calcium without D3 same brand is that ok? Also how do you do the multivitamin? Thank you

You will need calcium without D3 immediately as you will overdose him eventually with the calcium you have. Also will need a multivitamin to add twice a month.

So get calcium without D3 same brand is that ok? Also how do you do the multivitamin? Thank you

Yes, agreed. Just to clarify.
So calcium WITHOUT D3 (every to most feeds)
Calcium with D3 every 2 weeks
MultiVita every 2 weeks

View attachment 215404 Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
I believe it’s a boy and I have had him two days now. I was told he is 3 months old ‍♀️
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
I handle him about twice a day, he seems to like attention. I usually just put my hand out near him and he comes right to me. If he doesn’t I just leave him be.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
I am feeding him 4-5 medium crickets dusted in calcium. Also I do have meal worms but I know not to give that often so I have only given two small ones and I think I’ll do that as treats maybe once a week or once every two weeks
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
I have reptile calcium with D3 from zoomed
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I have a mist sprayer I use 3 times a day for the cage and leaves and flooring and screen sides to let drip and I have a dripper system constantly going (very slow no pooling) except on the leafs I have under. Also he likes to be hand watered by a dropper.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Dark brown, long with white solid end, gone twice I believe maybe once more
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Screen, all sides I have a smaller one at the moment getting a much larger one in a month or so. He is so small at the moment he has lots of climbing room and is very active.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Lighting is all from zoomed, I have two different lights the reg one and the uvb one. I don’t have a lighting schedule, I usually turn lights on at 6:30am and turn off around 7:30pm
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Basking spot is at 82 degrees f, middle 77, and bottom is 75
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
I have a humidifier coming but haven’t received it yet. It’s one that can go at the bottom of the cage set up as a plant.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? No live plants
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
The cage is in the family room that is in the back of our house, we use the living room for the most part so that room has less traffic. Air vent is across the room not close to cage, and fan in middle of room but isn’t turned on. 3.5 feet approximately from the floor to top of cage.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
California

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Wanting to know for sure if I have a boy, I have read that they live longer and are easier to take care of. Also sometimes I have noticed that my cham has his mouth open every once and a while. Wondering if that just means he is hot or is that normal behavior? Or is he showing he is thirsty? I get worried and think it’s him telling me he wants to eat or drink so I offer him water usually and he does take it for the most part.
--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
He’s a he. Don’t handle him that much. Chameleons are like fish tanks, look but don’t touch. He needs more food daily. Supplements should be phosphorus free and vitamin D3 free calcium at every feeding, phosphorus free calcium with vitamin D3 twice monthly, and a multivitamin twice monthly. What are you gutloading with? Get a screen cage at least 2’ by 2’ by 4’ tall when you upgrade soon. Get a timer for your lights! It should be 12 hrs of basking light and uvb light then 12 hrs of complete darkness! When you get the money, invest in an automated mister and get a t5HO linear uvb bulb and fixture.

I'd get that substrate out if the bottom of the cage provided he's make. If your Cham eats the substrate his digestive system could become impacted. A bare cage bottom is fine-- they are arboreal after all.

I'd get that substrate out if the bottom of the cage provided he's make. If your Cham eats the substrate his digestive system could become impacted. A bare cage bottom is fine-- they are arboreal after all.
Substrate is fine if your cham is healthy and the substrate is preferably bioactive. But young chams, and especially veileds, are notorious for eating substrate, so I agree with above on removing it.

What would you recommend and how often?
The veiled care sheet should answer how much. I feed red runner, dubia, ivory-headed, orange-headed, and green banana roaches, crickets, hornworms, silkworms, butterworms, and black soldier fly larvae. I’m getting painted lady butterflies and will pupate my bsfl, too. Blue bottle flies and spikes are good. Stick insects, mantids, and snails are great, too!

You dust with the multivitamin the same as the calciums. Zoo Med, Exo Terra, and Rep-Cal all have calciums with and without D3 and a multivitamin

Back
Top Bottom