first time chameleon owner!!

Well congrats on purchasing one of the coolest animals on the planet! I'll be the guy who gives you the positive reinforcement :) I understand how difficult it can be to gather the necessary equipment to keep a chameleon simply because their requirements are so unique. Also because between bills and student loans, i find myself to be short on cash as well. That being said, you really do need to segregate the frog from the cham. If your enclosure is tall enough, you can try creating a "false" bottom. with a strong enough mesh, you can create a horizontal surface halfway (maybe not halfway, be sure your cham gets as much of a vertical temperature gradient as possible) up the cage. This way the mesh will separate the frog and cham, and the water will drip past the mesh into the frog's dish and the you wont have to worry about your cham drowning. Just a thought. Again, Congrats!

Well congrats on purchasing one of the coolest animals on the planet! I'll be the guy who gives you the positive reinforcement :) I understand how difficult it can be to gather the necessary equipment to keep a chameleon simply because their requirements are so unique. Also because between bills and student loans, i find myself to be short on cash as well. That being said, you really do need to segregate the frog from the cham. If your enclosure is tall enough, you can try creating a "false" bottom. with a strong enough mesh, you can create a horizontal surface halfway (maybe not halfway, be sure your cham gets as much of a vertical temperature gradient as possible) up the cage. This way the mesh will separate the frog and cham, and the water will drip past the mesh into the frog's dish and the you wont have to worry about your cham drowning. Just a thought. Again, Congrats!

your suggestion might be a good one if you have the proper enclosure. A foot by foot by 18 inch fish tank will probably not work. I am here to help people but I really don't care to help people who do not want to listen to the critical info we give them. Don't come on here asking for advice, if you do not want to take it, especially from people who have much more experience and knowledge than the person asking for the advice. Telling us he ran out and got all the items suggested(and that's if he found it at the first place he tried)and was back home and posting on the computer in 23 minutes...well I don't buy it. These are the type of people I do not want to waste my time on. I know he is 13 yrs old, but you are getting off on the wrong foot with me by lying. He has yet to post any pics of "the new set up". I am outta here on this one!

your suggestion might be a good one if you have the proper enclosure. A foot by foot by 18 inch fish tank will probably not work. I am here to help people but I really don't care to help people who do not want to listen to the critical info we give them. Don't come on here asking for advice, if you do not want to take it, especially from people who have much more experience and knowledge than the person asking for the advice. Telling us he ran out and got all the items suggested(and that's if he found it at the first place he tried)and was back home and posting on the computer in 23 minutes...well I don't buy it. These are the type of people I do not want to waste my time on. I know he is 13 yrs old, but you are getting off on the wrong foot with me by lying. He has yet to post any pics of "the new set up". I am outta here on this one!

Yeah I'm not seeing any pictures even after a long time. :( I don't think I can believe this.

I agree, that seemed really fast.

im sorry i just had to get everything settled for her.

i got the enclosure so fast because i live not even a mile from a walmart, in a town of less than 1,000 people.

my baby girl is doing well, thanks for all the positive stuff.

one of her eyes doesnt really open all the way, but ill see if thats a problem at the vet on friday.

i cant post pics im sorry i have a really old computer that wont connect to my ipad and my ipad doesnt work with internet.

my family is kind of low-tech too and it freaks my mom out a bit, dont even ask me why

im sorry i just had to get everything settled for her.

i got the enclosure so fast because i live not even a mile from a walmart, in a town of less than 1,000 people.

my baby girl is doing well, thanks for all the positive stuff.

one of her eyes doesnt really open all the way, but ill see if thats a problem at the vet on friday.

i cant post pics im sorry i have a really old computer that wont connect to my ipad and my ipad doesnt work with internet.

my family is kind of low-tech too and it freaks my mom out a bit, dont even ask me why

Actually yes, if you have a wifi network, your ipad WILL connect to the internet.

Do you have a modem? Look on the back of it and find the "WEP" code and that's what the password is to the wifi network.

Sometimes you just have to learn how to do stuff before knocking it out as a possibility, because we really need to see.

Welcome and congrats on getting your new pet. I am sure for many of us we have learned from trial and error and disregarded advice. (so your pretty normal) :)

Quick concerns--
1. Heat lamp will burn the mesh if to close.
2. If frog is bigger than baby chameleon, the frog will try to eat it.
3. If chameleon is bigger than frog as a 6" veiled, the chameleon will try to eat frog.
4. Amphibian parasites can kill your chameleon and vise versa.
True Story, when I was visiting the guy who developed "Sticky Tongue" I saw Panther Chameleons eating frogs like they were pop corn. They were new imports so in the wild they may be a food source. IDK

Good luck

There are so many issues here I don't even know where to start. But here it goes.

1) Chameleons are expensive. No matter what. Even if you are raising your own feeder insects to feed your cham. But I'm gussing you probably won't be raising your own feeders. So, expensive. Your allowance probably won't cover all of the expenses as far as insects, gut load, vitamins, etc. Don't get a pet in the first place if you can't afford the best. Btw, you're going to need a stash of at LEAST a few hundred dollars for emergency vet care in case your little one gets ill.

2) Saying 'everything will workout in the end' will NOT suffice. You have to have the money and the knowledge to keep such creatures. Chameleons are widely known as one of the harder reptiles to keep, you probably should have gone with an easier reptile as a starter. But you already have him/her I assume.

3) The frog. DO NOT PUT A FROG IN WITH A CHAMELEON NO MATTER WHAT. Literally, if you have no other means for both, you need to get rid of one. Don't jeopardize multiple animals lives simply because you don't have the money or "because I want them both". That's selfish. Thinking of your pets first is what a responsible pet owner does. You also said something about keeping an eye out '24/7' unless you never sleep, which is highly unlikely, it's not possible.

4)Your under tank heater. Glass or mesh, don't do this. Chameleons are accustomed to climbing higher for their heat source, and going lower to cool off. The top (by the basking area) needs to be the warmest, while the bottom needs to be coolest. They need to be able to cool off when they want and an UTH won't provide that.

5)Now this next statement will probably make me the *******, but if you truly have cancer, now is not the best time to get a new pet. You need to be focusing on getting better, and chameleons take a lot of work.

6) 23 minutes, even with a Walmart less than a mile away is too fast a time to: walk/ride bike to store, walk in, find the stuff, check out, and walk/ride bike back home AND write a reply. I call ********. If you're lying to try and get us off your back about your terrible conditions you're putting your cham through, no one believes you, especially when convieniently your ipad won't work.

No one is judging you on your age, but on your lack of better judgement to even get a chameleon in the first place. I will be praying for your chameleon.

Welcome and congrats on your new pet. I know you did not get the welcome you expected with your first post on the forums and dont let it discourage you from using the site because the members are exceptionally knowledgeable and all quite helpful. Yes you did get a lot of negativity, as I thought about too but you have to understand people are on this forum because chameleons are what they love. their perfectionists when it comes to the hobby and anything wrong they dont like to see they want changed. Its been about 5yrs since my last cham and im buying a new one next month so I fully understand yyour excitement and what not, they are really fascinating creatures. Do whatever make shift stuff you have to for now and do what ever is necessary for the him as soon as you can. IMO i dont know much about caring for frogs i know they are small prob dont need much vertical space and doubt they stress as easily as a cham I would have given priority to the chameleon and stick the frog in some sort of bin (rubbermaid or something) with its substrate and what not than way you would already have 20$ to your next enclosure.

Would probably be a really great idea to post some pics i know you said you had some issues with the ipad, but to ensure your doing what your saying and have people off your back a bit prove what your saying. Doesnt walmart have wifi? if its so close go use it

as asked previously can you get specific on your lighting specs?

Continue doing your research, you said you have done some but missed ALOT of the basics. you live and you learn and theres lots to learn im on this forum hours a day for past month or so, really do wish you the best with your new pet and hope you enjoy him its awesome watching them eat and change colours and just fascinating overall. mind you with better care they will show better colours. goodluck! hope your parents are a bit more supportive and helping when it comes to the money situation most people have been there with the money struggle growing up if you have too start a tab with them?

Back
Top Bottom