first time chameleon owner!!

rikkitiger

my mom is driving home and will be here in 2 1/2 hours, so i kinda need to get this right.

what i have is (and i know its REALLY small) but it is a 18" tall by 12" by 12" glass sides with a screen top

with 2 fake branches
2 large fake silk plants
a cave
an under tank heater
a set of deep dome lamps and a heat and UVB bulb
a hydrometer, (the thing that tells humigity)
a thermometer
and a food dish for mealworms
water conditioner
repti bark forest floor substrate
a soaker water bowl
a reptile sprayer

i have crickets and mealworms coming with my mom

i am planning on making a home-made dripper by cutting a very small hole in the bottom of a milk gallon and filling with conditioned water

my mom told me what she has is a very small baby veiled chameleon. i am already saving for a bigger cage, so dont worry.

i have a couple things to adress- i know substrate isnt ideal with chameleons, but i am going to position the dripper so it drips into the water bowl nicely

do i need real plants? i have 2 fake ones, but you know i heard they eat a little vegetation too, i thought i could put it on a branch in the morning, a little piece of iceburg lettuce?

is there any special care for the baby veiled?

and then i am so excited are there any tips or recommendations out there or even good luck wishings?

YAY! please constructive critisism only, thanks.

i am also a like, 10 minutes new member!:)

is the glass okay for now? i have a fan nearby i can always turn on

Your going to want to invest in a meshed enclosure eventually maybe as soon as possible. As far as substrate goes its not needed at all and it will just create more of a mess for you to clean up every week. It can also be dangerous for your chameleon if he were to stick some with his tongue and ingest or choke on it.

Real plants are always better then fake plants. I really only use fake plants for the sides of my enslosure to give him some more privacy. I use a small but very full umbrella tree as the main base plant and have some de-barked cedard brances and vines for him. He will be more inclined to drink the droplets off live plant leaves but not always the case. He might drink right from the dripper directly.

He might take bites of the lettuce but I have had success myself with fresh kale.

What kind of lights do you have set up for him specifically ? Pics of everything would be best

Have a look at the enclosure picture thread sticky and see what others have done with equipment/plants/drainage
https://www.chameleonforums.com/official-enclosure-picture-thread-2-post-your-pics-94781/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/drainage-systems-cages-get-creative-102038/

Hello and welcome! I hate to be a downer, but there are a few things you need to change. The substrate is a no no due to possible injestion which could kill your chameleon by choking him to death or causing him to become impacted where he cannot have a bowel movement. No water dish! That is a potential drowning hazard, especially for a baby chameleon. Undertank heater? Not necessary. The heat should come from your basking bulb. You did not mention supplementation(calcium, vitamins...) do you know about this? Also, iceberg lettuce is no good for nutrition. Yes, veilds will eat vegetation, so you have to be careful using fake plants.

I don't mean to sound harsh but you will need to change a lot of your care items, you should have 18"x18"x36" screen cage or exo terra with live and fake plants with walkways throughout the cage. Also, no substrate as it can in, harm them if digested, just use paper towels. Also only use a water bowl to collect water from a dropper because it will just spawn bacteria and chameleons don't like standing water. A UTH is not needed or recommended so stay away from that. Also you will need calcium with and with out d3 and a multivitamin and gutloads for feeders. For feeders offer a variety and with a baby you may go through 15-20 cricks a day. Don't use mealworms to much as they can sometimes cause impaction so try super, horn, and silk worms along with roach nymphs and dubia roaches. For decor get rid of the cave because it won't be used by your chameleon and live plants aren't necessary but they really help with humidity and look very good so you can get a ficus, Pothos, and/or schefflera. Also post pictures pd your set up and chameleon if you can :) welcome to the forums and the world of chameleons, you will learn a lot here. Have fun:D
Edit: I may have repeated the above but I was typing at the same time they were.

I don't mean to sound harsh but you will need to change a lot of your care items, you should have 18"x18"x36" screen cage or exo terra with live and fake plants with walkways throughout the cage. Also, no substrate as it can in, harm them if digested, just use paper towels. Also only use a water bowl to collect water from a dropper because it will just spawn bacteria and chameleons don't like standing water. A UTH is not needed or recommended so stay away from that. Also you will need calcium with and with out d3 and a multivitamin and gutloads for feeders. For feeders offer a variety and with a baby you may go through 15-20 cricks a day. Don't use mealworms to much as they can sometimes cause impaction so try super, horn, and silk worms along with roach nymphs and dubia roaches. For decor get rid of the cave because it won't be used by your chameleon and live plants aren't necessary but they really help with humidity and look very good so you can get a ficus, Pothos, and/or schefflera. Also post pictures pd your set up and chameleon if you can :) welcome to the forums and the world of chameleons, you will learn a lot here. Have fun:D
Edit: I may have repeated the above but I was typing at the same time they were.

I am sorry but I do not agree with you using a water bowl to collect the water from the dripper. A baby chameleon can fall in and drown. Unless you are going to be there round the clock to empty as it begins to fill, I would not recommend this. If you want to catch the water, you must use something shallow enough that if your chameleon fell in, it would be able to crawl out safely.

so yeas i know about supplements, and i cannot get a mesh enclosure right away or remove the substrate. i also have an american green tree frog in with the chameleon. I KNOW, I KNOW. they shouldnt be living together and you shouldnt have gotten the chameleon in the first place, but just hear me out, ok? i did my research, i got my stuff, and according to the pet store people and a lot of people online it will be okay as long as i provide many many hiding places. i have a VERY small and short water bowl, but you know, it is necesary for the frogs as well as the substrate is. i am planning on keeping everything pristine, and as a result from the frogs i cant have anything they could accidentaly ingest either. im just gonna ride this out and get what i need to in a month or 3 weeks or so, ok? right now i have to work with what i have.

im sorry to come out rude, i am thirteen and i dont get paid a lot for an allowance and i know you think i just shouldnt have gotten one then but i really love them and i will plug away at it and everything will work out fine. i will do what i need to do and it will all work out in the end, i know it will. please just give me the benefit of the doubt, all right? im not your average, (uh.... i bought a chameleon cuz i thought it was pretty) kinda person. i did my research and this was my only window to get one, so i just took a chance. thank you for your patience

i have had many pets before, just not chameleons so i know the basic stuff, watch out for bacteria, make sure your pet cannot drown, and i get all that kind of stuff. i know everything there is to know about feeders, got that covered but it is very nice and considerate of you to check. i do need the UTH for a bit at least, you would not know how cold it gets where i live! i understand it is to stay away from mainly, but i got it covered and i know the know-how of how to handle it.

all your replies are very helpful, but i am kind of hoping for an upbeat, welcome or maybe a good luck kid i hope you do well? i dont know, its just me maybe but it seems as if that is in order....

thank you again

Oh goodness, no no no no no. Do not keep a frog or ANY other species living together at all.

Especially because the chameleon might get hurt or even try to eat the frog. Just don't.

Sounds like you have other stuff to change too, but honestly that is crucial. Do not even.

I understand with what your saying as I am 14 and I didn't get a big Cham due to prices so Im getting pygmies but if it's not to late I'm not sure if you should get one just yet because I can understand a week or so in that condition but a baby in that condition for a month may overwhelm it. Again I get that you have done your research and I don't like it when people judge knowledge by age but if your are on a budget, a chameleon may not be for you because some spend $100s a year due to new feeders, enclosures, and vet bills. Please don't take offense to this and if you feel you can handle this then go for it but don't be surprised by any criticism.

We are trying to help you and you do not want to listen. You do not want to heat up the bottom of the enclosure with a under tank heater. It is glass and you do not want to overheat the enclosure. Your chameleon should have one area to stayed heated(the basking area) and should not have the entire tank heated. You come here for advice and when we try to tell you what to do, you seem to want to ignore our advice. It is not recommended to keep ANY other reptile in the enclosure with your chameleon. They should be housed alone.

Last edited:
thank you, somebody i can relate to.

i mean, i think i can handle it, and it is already coming, so its to late now.

i am really sorry guys for putting my new cham in with the frog, but i hve to for a bit, please understand i will be watching 24/7 and be totally on top of it.

i can do it i know i have it in me, i just need some polite encouragement. As we speak i am working for a new enclosure. sont worry, i will have it within 2 months.

i really dislike it when people judge because im young or on a budget.

i love chameleons, and it will work.

can people be supportive please though? my dad and friends aren't being supportive either right now and i thought i could get some you know, tips or advice or such on here.

and please dont say maybe there's a reason their not being supportive. i kinda took this on as a project when i got diagnosed and today was my shot at getting one in the next 2 years. i dont even know if ill still be alive!

i dont really want to talk about my condition. i have cancer, thats it, ok? please no pity party at all for me.

thanks for trying to understand and all the advice.

im sorry you feel that im being rude or ignoring you. i just feel like its a bit redundant right now. the whole enclosure ISNT heated, i do have a basking spot, and i know a lot of this.

i have to keep it in with the frog right now, i am sorry i know this shouldnt happen but right now i have no other option and it is too late to go back.

the frog is small but not that small, an inch long, and loves to hide all the time. eats very little and is looking for a bit of a tank mate for a while until it gets bigger. just 2 months at the VERY MOST

You are saying you did research before the chameleon arrived.

You really did not, honestly. Because if you did, you would know all of these things are an issue.

2 months is a long time to wait for a new enclosure, to be brutally honest. And keeping it with the frog is a bad idea. Very bad idea.

We are just telling you the truth.

And it's too bad it's "too late now" because you can always improvise.

I have an idea that might work for you! A cheap idea. A good idea.

Low cost, better than the small glass frog enclosure.

Go and buy a 5-15 dollar pop-up hamper
0429418_1

One with a top on it, like that. Very cheap.

Then go and buy a fake/real plant, very cheap, or use one you already have.
pothos.jpg

Then use a heat lamp or UVB with a cheap fixture (buy two work desk fixtures like this) usually is 12$ for 2.
0009725737265_P321146_500X500.jpg

So it would be around 30-50$ total to have a nice enclosure for the baby very quickly, and the parents probably won't mind spending a little so the little guy has a good home.

Just an idea. I have been a bit critcized on here as well for being

a) young
b) dependent on parents

but I made things work. I got a job so I could pay for the chameleon. Dad pays for food, I pay for EVERYTHING ELSE. :)

But you're thirteen so that will wait a while.

It's easy to find cheap, easy ways to give the cham a good home.

Also invest in a squirt bottle!

If you really love chameleons you'll be willing to improvise to give it an amazing life and to be willing to spend cash.

Keep in mind that it's also very easy to walk outside and catch crickets (as long as you know you and your neighbors DO NOT use pesticides) for the chameleon to eat if you are short on food. It is not really advised, but it's good if you are really running low.

Also try and catch small katydids and grasshoppers (nothing black or red though) or even try and breed your own isopods (rolly pollies)! It's cheap and they take very little space.

Crickets are a pain, believe me. Invest in buying a breeding pair of dubia roaches (they aren't really "roaches", your mother/father might freak out at the idea of "roaches" invading their home).

Show your parents these posts, especially mine if they don't believe you because most of us have kept chams for a long time or at least know a little about them ;)

About the roaches, you can breed them and then get little baby ones to feed the cham. The roaches do not smell, make noise, or climb smooth surfaces. They can't fly either. They are meatier than crickets and cannot jump away. Throw a bit of sliced apple in a large tupperware (with holes poked in the tops all over) and that will be their food, or maybe a slice of orange or squash. Provide them with old egg crates for hiding spots.

Dubia roaches are easy to breed if you keep them at 80-90 degrees (use your heating pad under the tank?) and provide food.

Just some tips

Last edited:
No one is jumping you to deliberately hurt you, but everyone is super concerned about the conditions you described. Chams aren't just pets to folks here, chams are their babies so when they see something isn't quite right, they want to correct it immediately. No one is judging you based on the money you get kiddo, everyone is broke :) I'm 26, in college (AGAIN), work full time and make $8 an hour, so I'm on a budget too :) and no I don't own a Cham... Yet. But that's why I'm here, reading all that I can, just like you are!

Don't listen to people at the pet stores, reading forums and asking questions will be a great resource for you to learn more about your little guy.

And we all learn by making mistakes, sometimes we have to make them to understand what we did wrong, and I'm sure folks here made mistakes and can give you lots of great advice, even if it sounds harsh. The folks here are just giving you pointers on what you should change when you asked for suggestions.

Best of luck with your new little guy!

If there is any chance you can delay the shipment for two months I would do that. You are not ready and rushing it to just to get a chameleon is a really bad idea. I really wanted one too when I was 13 but I had to wait until I was 29. I needed a job to support the hobby. Chams are a very expensive reptile and may require vet visits.
I know you think your dad is being insensitive but adults do have more experience with life. Like him, everybody on here is trying to help you. No situation is beyond fixing. I don't think many people will support you in your decision to put a chameleon in less than ample conditions. It's too late now is not a good policy with chams. And a little patience goes a long way.

thank you xraygirl for that. it is true we only learn from mistakes

and i love chameleons so i am pleased to say i did go out and buy what you said for a makeshift baby home. it only cost me about 20$ so i guess im alright for now. ill keep everyone updated

thank you xraygirl for that. it is true we only learn from mistakes

and i love chameleons so i am pleased to say i did go out and buy what you said for a makeshift baby home. it only cost me about 20$ so i guess im alright for now. ill keep everyone updated

Wow, you bought the hamper with a lid, and a plant for that?

Good deal dude.

Update us with pics!

Chams are great, but no joke they are a high maintenance and expensive pet.

Everyone here is more than happy to help - just remember there are people who come on here every week needing help with their sick chams when what they really needed were the proper supplies, varied food, and better knowledge of good care to prevent their cham from getting sick in the first place. All the "criticism" that you will see here is just our way of trying to help you avoid some of the most common mistakes!

Don't listen to pet store people - you will end up spending money on stuff you don't need and won't be told to get stuff that you do need. Especially now, every penny for you is important.

Can you raise a happy and healthy cham on a low budget? Absolutely, but it will take a lot of knowledge and effort on your part to make sure everything is right. You definitely will spend more money than you expect getting everything you need.

Study the care sheet that was linked above until you know it by heart, do tons of reading here on the forum, and most importantly, ask lots of questions if something is confusing. Feeders, supplements, and lighting can be especially intimidating when you're just getting started - every one of us has been there.

Our chameleons are indeed our babies! That is why we want you to be successful. Welcome to the forums and best of luck!

Wow, you bought the hamper with a lid, and a plant for that?

Good deal dude.

Update us with pics!
wow you posted the items for him to get at 8:07 and by 8:30 he had already gone to store, picked up everything, drove back home and got back on the computer to post. Pretty good for a span of 23 minutes! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom