First Panther

Chamtrainer704

Hey this little guy is my first panther, I do have a 10 yr old veiled who is on his way out but feel a little inexperienced just due to new species. I would love some feed back on his current enclosure as well as some hints for size and favorite plants for when I build the larger enclosure, thank you for the help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 160
The first thing I notice is that your basking light is very close to your chameleon. With the ladder setup like that you should at least has ~10-12inches of space between the bulb and the cham. You can either lower the ladder using twist ties or suspend the clamp lamp. Also you can add a live plant to hold humidity better..even if its just a pothos in the center of the cage. If you really want a nice critique of your setup and husbandry you can fill out a how to ask for help form: https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/, so we can see how you are supplementing your chameleon also!
Also here is a safe plant list you can look at as you plan your larger enclosure https://www.chameleonforums.com/plants/
Welcome to the forums!

You are going to find that veileds and panthers are pretty close in care. Juvi panthers should only have basking around 82f give or take (80-85). Becareful with how close your cham can get to the basking light. 24x24x48 is perfectly acceptable for an adult. You also eventually will want to get a UV tube instead of the spriral.

Get rid of the water dish in the bottom.

Thanks for the advice! moving the light up and going ahead and adding a live plant, the water dish I dump out every day is just there to help catch some excess water but I'll trash it anyway.

You could keep the dish if you are using it for drainage and not as a way to provide water. Just cover it with screen or something so your chameleon cannot fall in and drown. BTW what is your secret to keeping a Veild alive that long??? That is REALLY old!!! I am curious if you could elaborate on his diet, your gutloading, and what supplements and vitamins you use. Maybe we can all learn something!!!

I really do think I just got lucky with Yoda, I adopted him from a friend when he was 4 being my first chameleon. He's lived in all sorts of environments a shower, free range, a plant in a car, on summers on my porch you name it he's been there past few years he's been in a large bird cage plenty of vines and plants to feel safe temp regularly checked all the norms there. Feeding he always loved eating veggies and fruits, I did not use any vitamins and would occasionally supplement calcium he had a variety of insects, gut loading the night before mix of fruits and veggies usually what I had at the time... Kale, oats, oranges, berries. Again I just think he's a badass, made me obsessed with these guys. Thanks for the post!

I really do think I just got lucky with Yoda, I adopted him from a friend when he was 4 being my first chameleon. He's lived in all sorts of environments a shower, free range, a plant in a car, on summers on my porch you name it he's been there past few years he's been in a large bird cage plenty of vines and plants to feel safe temp regularly checked all the norms there. Feeding he always loved eating veggies and fruits, I did not use any vitamins and would occasionally supplement calcium he had a variety of insects, gut loading the night before mix of fruits and veggies usually what I had at the time... Kale, oats, oranges, berries. Again I just think he's a badass, made me obsessed with these guys. Thanks for the post!

I hope my panther Luke Skywalker learns via the "force" from your Yoda about living life to the fullest. ;)

Good simple design, in the process of setting him up in a safer location with more space, how do you like your cage?

I'm pleased w/ my DIY. For whatever reason I was sent to older version of the panels w/ the splines, but I'm good w/ that. This is just our cooler months inside enclosure, and Luke is growing like a weed. Just waiting for him to grow a bit more, and it to warm up consistently so we can make our way out to the big outdoor enclosure that I built. Its basically ready, but there's a few additional tweeks I still need to do before spring.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/outdoor-enclosure-model-636-ver-1-a-118915/

Back
Top Bottom